• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 1805

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Sefir - 06 March 2014 03:07 PM
Jabod - 06 March 2014 09:19 AM

For future CPTs I would suggest something like this:

For a defined period (one week?) anybody can nominate one game for a CPT with an indication if they are willing to be leader (not mandatory). Once that game is nominated nobody else can nominate same. At the end of the defined period voting takes place with 2 votes allowed per person. Voting is weighted with 3 points for first choice and 1 point for second choice. There is no need for a second choice if you don’t wish to make one.

Anyone can vote, not just those nominating games, as some people might only want to participate in a specific CPT which has already been nominated.

Thoughts?

I see two main problems in the voting method you suggest.
a) The voting system may result in playing a game that will have less participants than other voted games (that is, if the first game takes more “3 point” votes than the second one)
b) Why people should vote only 2 games if they are willing to participate in more? That may result in games not get voted though there will be people willing to play them.

Both fair points Sefir but I was trying to find a better way of getting to a “winner” . What I was looking for was a consistent methodology for the selection of a CPT. It could be argued that as I have never joined in one to date I should just butt out but it has always struck me that selecting a game has been decidedly haphazard and a more formalised way would have prevented the current situation from happening.

If game selection was as above and a better voting method agreed upon then it should speed up selection considerably. At the moment games drop in and out remarkably frequently.

Still, as no-one else has commented perhaps I should keep out of the situation   Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Karlok - 06 March 2014 01:03 PM

Can I ask you a question?

Yes.

If you’ve read this far. I called your interpretation “bullshit”. I bet you don’t agree with me.

I don’t. I called it as I saw it. Your perception of the whole episode differs from mine, clearly.

Maybe you got annoyed

No, I’m okay.

but you probably care as much about my opinion as I care about yours.

No, I care about what people think, even you Smile

Would my “bullshit” be enough for you to decide not to lead a community playthrough that I am NOT, I repeat NOT, participating in?

No, but I would be hesitant to join a playthrough with anyone that talked to me the way you spoke to Sefir. After all, it’s about having fun. Being nice to each other is a prerequisite to having fun.

And if you did, wouldn’t you feel slightly childish**?

Probably.

I guess you won’t answer my question.

Well, we’re all wrong from time to time Wink

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6597

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ll repeat - I’m sure there’re plenty of ideas, but we should give credit where credit is due - and that’s Sefir and Karlok as the people who stepped up to count all those votes.

I don’t think it is fair to Gray Matter to just “decide” to play The Pandora Directive, or even for the “Double voters” to decide (perhaps someone would change his/her mind in the second round). Karlok “proposed” to play TPD as a solution and gave reasons for it. That alone is not enough for a solution, but what followed (along with the 30 posts that led nowhere) ironically seems to be blowing toward that direction. Of course we need voting deadlines, but it is also natural for everyone (not just the double voters) to say after the voting has “ended” - “You know what, I’ve changed my mind…” Of course, it’s also not fair that one or two voters who changed their mind automatically constitute the win for one side, so perhaps it should be given some reasonable amount of time (one day) to see who will change his/her mind.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 06 March 2014 02:26 PM

And I’m hoping everyone comes back to CPT to enjoy the TPD playthrough as it starts. Especially the one who had agreed to lead it.  Content

Sefir - 06 March 2014 03:07 PM

(Except Iznogood. I hope he changes his mind). In my head it’s up to Iznogood to change his mind and lead the TPD CP.

I already have, in fact Becky’s post was enough to change my mind. I don’t want to disappoint anyone that had been looking forward to a CP of TPD including myself, just because the voting turned more dramatic than expected.

Sefir - 06 March 2014 02:21 PM

I still believe that the 3 people who voted both games should be the ones who will decide the final outcome. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I agreed then, and I still do.
Regardless of whether or not it is the best solution, then I believe it is the fastest and most painless way to move forward. But it would be best if at least the majority agrees on this.

I’m assuming Iznogood will also vote that way, which give us a way forward and a game to play.

Actually I was planning to vote GM, if things turned out this way. Partly because I thought it would cause less controversy and be the fastest way to move forward, but also because GM is also a great choice for a CP.

You and Wilco however beat me to it, so I will not complicate matters further, and also vote for The Pandora Directive, which I believe then pretty much settles the matter.

Unless there are any protest, then I will post something tomorrow evening about the new CP. And like Becky, I hope that both everybody that voted for it, and anyone else interested will take part in the CP despite this controversy. 

After some pm persuasion from other members (thank you all for the support. Mostly you Izno), I decided not to leave the AG forums. It was the only logical thing to do.

You are welcome, it would have been a real pity if you had left the forum, especially in this way. 

Can I also call you Izno?

Absolutely, in fact I was just about to say that people can call me whatever they like, but that probably opens the door a bit to wide Smile Izno is fine.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

In seems like there are some protest, so I will hold back on starting a new CP, until it has been resolved.

Total Posts: 6597

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

No, please, don’t let me hold it. I think the general “climate” is toward the TPD, which makes the whole discussion after the voting a lot more unnecessary from this perspective. I’d just like it to end in the “official” way, that’s all.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well I still think it would be fair, to give people at least a full day to protest. So I wont post anything until at Saturday at the earliest.

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 06 March 2014 04:59 PM

In seems like there are some protest, so I will hold back on starting a new CP, until it has been resolved.

Well there’s no protest from me! I went off to work about 10 hours ago with GM declared the winner under dubious circumstances & have just been catching up on the thread!

As much as I would have liked Gray Matter to have been the winner I think it’s only fair that ALL people who put their name down for both games cast the deciding votes.

Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to join in with the TPD CPT but I think it’s won fair & square! - I’ll be following the thread though!

Total Posts: 5055

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

While I know that TPD can be played in 3rd person mode, I believe it was designed to be played in 1st person. I do find the 1st person motion-sickness elements very off-putting. Which is why I said earlier that I wouldn’t be playing this CPT if it won.

I also would not have played GM. I know I am one of the few people on earth that played the game before and didn’t like it. So I’m hoping they won’t be played back-to-back as has been suggested. I’m also hoping that voting as a contact sport will be a thing of the past.

Have fun everybody! Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 06 March 2014 09:24 AM

If there is going to be a community playthrough, no matter which one, I will not participate in it. Now isn’t that nice and considerate of me! So come back, Sefir, and do the leader bit you enjoy so much!

I think that would be a wise decision. I feel the same way about your position here as I do about your desire to take over the SOTD thread. It just isn’t going to work out. A for effort. “F"ar less for execution.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Iznogood - 06 March 2014 04:54 PM

Unless there are any protest, then I will post something tomorrow evening about the new CP. And like Becky, I hope that both everybody that voted for it, and anyone else interested will take part in the CP despite this controversy.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

(Unless there’s some way for Phoenix Wright to get 10 magical votes and steal the election.  That’d be even better.  Tongue )

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You know what? I tried it before and hated the nausea-inducing environment.

But as long as so many of my pals are playing, I’m going to give it one more chance.

$10US on gog isn’t going to break the bank. No guarantees that I will make it through the first sequence, but I will give it a shot.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 06 March 2014 04:54 PM

Actually I was planning to vote GM, if things turned out this way. Partly because I thought it would cause less controversy and be the fastest way to move forward, but also because GM is also a great choice for a CP.

I’m speechless. This is what you said earlier about changing your vote:

Nah… Who am I kidding - This IS the time for The Pandora Directive!
As much as I would also like a CP of GM, then it can wait until the next vote.

And when I canceled my vote for PD (less controversy and the fastest way to move forward, yes?) you wrote: Well congratulations Karlok you just burned the chances for a CP of TPD because of your childish behavior!!!

I won’t tell you what I think of your voting behavior, cause I’m sure you are not interested in my not very positive opinion. But it proves what I’ve been saying all along. So-called democratic rules people make up as they go along? HA! Deciding which playthrough is going to take place is not about being “fair”, about reasonable, rational arguments and it never was. It’s six of one and half a dozen of the other. My solution was not so bad after all, and that irony is not lost on me.

After some pm persuasion from other members (thank you all for the support. Mostly you Izno), I decided not to leave the AG forums. It was the only logical thing to do.

Sefir actually threatened to leave the FORUMS where everybody loves and appreciates him because ONE person challenged his authority and told him they don’t take orders from him about the use of capitals?? Gee, I didn’t realize I had THAT much power, I thought he was simply quitting the CP thread. Of course he is a much better human being than I can ever hope to be, we all know he never did anything wrong, everybody agrees everything is my fault.

But all is well that ends well. This widespread feeling of goodwill and love, people calling each other izno… it’s the blossoming lotus flower rising from the mud. Have a wonderful playthrough!

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 06 March 2014 08:47 PM
Karlok - 06 March 2014 09:24 AM

If there is going to be a community playthrough, no matter which one, I will not participate in it. Now isn’t that nice and considerate of me! So come back, Sefir, and do the leader bit you enjoy so much!

I think that would be a wise decision. I feel the same way about your position here as I do about your desire to take over the SOTD thread. It just isn’t going to work out. A for effort. “F"ar less for execution.

Another one who twists my words to suit their opinion of me. I did NOT try to “take over” the SOTD thread, that’s an outright lie! I ASKED for two days to post about different games in a different way, which would have left Bastich five whole days to post his own kind of mostly morbid pics from rare games nobody will ever play. What would he lose? Nothing. He would still be able to post everything he wanted to. But the response was negative and I never posted any pics of my own.

PS: When the OP (not Bastich) of the Adventure Game Scene of the Day complained that someone else had started posting scenes as well, one of the mods replied that the OP didn’t own the thread and that anybody could post pics if they felt like it. Look it up in the old forums if you don’t believe me. Apparently times have changed.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hey, I missed this one!

Dag - 06 March 2014 04:20 PM

No, but I would be hesitant to join a playthrough with anyone that talked to me the way you spoke to Sefir. After all, it’s about having fun. Being nice to each other is a prerequisite to having fun.

Didn’t I post that I would NOT participate in ANY playthrough? Yes, I did.
Wasn’t that nice and considerate of me? Yes, it was.

Thank you for answering my questions. We’re done.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top