• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dag - 06 March 2014 09:18 AM
Karlok - 06 March 2014 07:21 AM

I’m putting Sefir on my ignore list. Nobody tells me I should not capatalize ONE word in a sentence, which I do all the time.

Oh, come on. Sefir was being calm and civil all along, and I don’t see how the solution he proposed is unfair.

What does that have to do with the quote about putting Sefir on my ignore list? And he childishly left the building for no good reason.

BTW, I proposed withdrawing my vote even BEFORE Sefir started annoying the hell out of me.

PS: If there is going to be a community playthrough, no matter which one, I will not participate in it. Now isn’t that nice and considerate of me! So come back, Sefir, and do the leader bit you enjoy so much!

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think I wanna withdraw with my vote after the mess it caused ,I don’t mind to try a Tex game since I never played any too

Total Posts: 6597

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sefir and Karlok have been volunteering to do this dirty work, and without it we wouldn’t be witnessing the playthrough renaissance (there were times where there was ONE playthrough for a whole year, and we already had 3 playthroughs in the last three months).

Without Sefir’s and Karlok’s initiative I’m sure the things would be more boring, and I’ve always assumed it is only natural for them to give any technical rules. There wasn’t a tie before (but I’m sure the next voting will have a “tiebreaker rule” set in advance), so there’s no really need for tension. This particular voting had been done by Karlok from the beginning, and the way I see it, any reasonable solution should be proposed by Karlok, and if majority agrees, that should be it. For example, I don’t agree with Karlok retracting the vote for TPD, and I also don’t agree with Sefir leaving the GM leadership.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Karlok - 06 March 2014 09:24 AM

What does that have to do with the quote about putting Sefir on my ignore list?

Everything. Him being calm and civil all along makes your choice to ignore him an emotional overreaction.

And he childishly left the building for no good reason.

He was trying to find a solution for everyone, you disagreed, but instead of coming up with a better solution in a friendly manner, you began being directly rude to him. I’m not surprised at all that the way you behaved took away his desire to have a CPT.

PS: If there is going to be a community playthrough, no matter which one, I will not participate in it. Now isn’t that nice and considerate of me! So come back, Sefir, and do the leader bit you enjoy so much!

Remind me again, who is being childish?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6597

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

How about we work toward the solution and play something? Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dag - 06 March 2014 11:51 AM

Everything. Him being calm and civil all along makes your choice to ignore him an emotional overreaction.

It does make it an emotional reaction, oh yes. Here’s a fact of life. Real life, internet life. As long as you’re calm, collected, unemotional, civil, the works, you can be deadly, contemptuous, authoritative and dismissive. The moment you get emotional you lose. Nobody will pay any attention to your arguments, good or bad. You will get attacked for being emotional and the other party will take great care to ensure their replies are even more civil, unemotional, calm and collected. 

He was trying to find a solution for everyone, you disagreed, but instead of coming up with a better solution in a friendly manner, you began being directly rude to him. I’m not surprised at all that the way you behaved took away his desire to have a CPT.

Bullshit. *I* came up with a suggestion. He didn’t agree with it, dismissed it as WRONG, posted “hello democracy” and took over. This is what the calm and civil people are good at… they imply YOU are being undemocratic! But they’re not being emotional, so that’s okay.

Can I ask you a question? If you’ve read this far. I called your interpretation “bullshit”. I bet you don’t agree with me. Maybe you got annoyed, but you probably care as much about my opinion as I care about yours. Would my “bullshit” be enough for you to decide not to lead a community playthrough that I am NOT, I repeat NOT, participating in? And if you did, wouldn’t you feel slightly childish**?

I guess you won’t answer my question.

Remind me again, who is being childish?

Okay, here’s the list again. First Sefir, then me, then Iznogood.

**childish = emotional

PS: I have learned SO MUCH from the Broken Age thread, where I said I was disappointed in Schafer’s financial mismanagement. The flack I got for saying I was disappointed!

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 06 March 2014 10:29 AM

I think I wanna withdraw with my vote after the mess it caused

Relax Advie, it wasn’t you who caused the mess.

diego - 06 March 2014 12:13 PM

I agree.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

More manufactured drama?

I don’t know the history here, Karlok, but Sefir seemed to be being completely reasonable and you started attacking the guy for not agreeing with you, and then stuck him on your ignore list.

I doubt anyone besides you has any question who the childish one has been here.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

diego - 06 March 2014 12:13 PM

I totally agree - Freddy Pharkas (Advie just needs to withdraw his vote for GM) and everything will be perfectly fine.

Total Posts: 2997

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

After some pm persuasion from other members (thank you all for the support. Mostly you Izno), I decided not to leave the AG forums. It was the only logical thing to do. I don’t want to dissapoint any GM voters anyway. I apologise for any inconvenience my rash action to leave had made. I announce that I am indeed available to lead a GM playthrough if it gets chosen between the two games. I still believe that the 3 people who voted both games should be the ones who will decide the final outcome. Any other suggestions are welcome.

PS: I’ll not answer to any personal characterizations. I don’t want to add more fuel to the fire, though it wasn’t me who started it. I’ll just say that in all the playthroughs I led in the past I used to suggest all people to generally join with a kind-heart spirit. This also applies to the forum participants in general since according to the forum guidelines, “Participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.” I think that is exactly what I did through the entire conversation. I wasn’t rude, I never made personal characterizations, I said my opinion with valid points and I was always open to everyone who talked to me in a friendly manner. It is also what I do in my entire experience as an AG member and as a person in my life in general.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

If there is no consensus, it may be most fair if there was just another round of voting with those two games being the only options.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Sefir - 06 March 2014 06:40 AM

A tie? That’s a first. Izno sniped what I was about to say. The ones who voted both of the games should (That will be Izno, wilco and Becky) decide which one they would like to play most, withdraw their votes from the game they would like less and then the game with the most votes of these two will be the one for the CP (and I feel that the other one will be the heavy candidate for our next voting Wink )

PS: The Kickstarter campaign for the “Sefir’s rulebook for CP’s” should start soon.  Tongue

I’ll back it! What are your stretch goals? Naughty

I hope this eases the situation—as one of three people with a tiebreaker vote, I vote for The Pandora Directive (or remove my Gray Matter vote, whatever the official rules require). I’m assuming Iznogood will also vote that way, which give us a way forward and a game to play.

When TPD is over, I hope Gray Matter is the next playthrough.  And I’m hoping everyone comes back to CPT to enjoy the TPD playthrough as it starts. Especially the one who had agreed to lead it.  Content

Can I also call you Izno?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, if a vote from me is still needed I would also go for Pandora Directive.

Total Posts: 2997

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Jabod - 06 March 2014 09:19 AM

For future CPTs I would suggest something like this:

For a defined period (one week?) anybody can nominate one game for a CPT with an indication if they are willing to be leader (not mandatory). Once that game is nominated nobody else can nominate same. At the end of the defined period voting takes place with 2 votes allowed per person. Voting is weighted with 3 points for first choice and 1 point for second choice. There is no need for a second choice if you don’t wish to make one.

Anyone can vote, not just those nominating games, as some people might only want to participate in a specific CPT which has already been nominated.

Thoughts?

I see two main problems in the voting method you suggest.
a) The voting system may result in playing a game that will have less participants than other voted games (that is, if the first game takes more “3 point” votes than the second one)
b) Why people should vote only 2 games if they are willing to participate in more? That may result in games not get voted though there will be people willing to play them.

Detective Mosely - 06 March 2014 02:22 PM

If there is no consensus, it may be most fair if there was just another round of voting with those two games being the only options.

Perhaps, but it will take more time. And, to be fair, the people who wouldn’t participate in any of them didn’t vote them in the first place. The people who voted one of them will probably vote the same. And those who voted both of them decided to favour TPD against GM (Except Iznogood. I hope he changes his mind). In my head it’s up to Iznogood to change his mind and lead the TPD CP. Otherwise it will be a GM playthrough.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

WTF happened here???

Community playthroughs are a beautiful thing, and I’d hate to see them destroyed like this. It’s just a voting round, there’s no need for drama and complicated rules, just a little common sense and decency. We’re all adults here.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top