• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jatsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #19 - Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

rtrooney - 19 November 2016 01:40 PM

I have yet to solve the angel puzzle. It’s probably done in five or six moves, but I’ve never Had that “Aha!” moment where you visualize the solution.

I know what you mean. My particular Waterloo is that puzzle where there is three of one thing on the left, and three of the other thing on the right, in a straight line, and you have to switch them to opposite sides. It’s in enough games (and simple enough) I should know it by now, but I usually do it wrong several times before I get it right. 

And I always skip the ones with interlocking rings, or slider puzzles that take about a thousand moves. You really have to have a special kind of mind to handle all those moving parts.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There was a game, Sherlock Holmes: Hounds of the Baskervilles, that had that type of puzzle. Well, as you say, that puzzle is in a lot of games. But this was particularly devious. You could play the game on either of two levels, casual and expert. It wasn’t just a lack of sparkles and five minute refresh rates on Hints. The puzzles were actually harder at the expert level. In casual mode there were five pieces on either side of the blank spot. In expert mode there were ten. Absolutely brutal.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I haven’t done the angel puzzle yet, as I’m still lacking wings. Innocent I’m at the point just after you set off the fireworks and the nervous policeman still doesn’t flinch.

All the suggested band names are enticing, but I must say that anything with “Rutabaga” in the title is a sure winner.

I made Po’ Boy sandwiches for lunch today—the recipe apparently originated in Louisiana, so I’m staying right in the spirit of the game.

Total Posts: 5598

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I did well with the angel puzzle this time around (only one false move).  I didn’t consciously remember how to do it but just went with my gut this time.  However, I don’t know if I could do it that way again.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Finally made it to the tomb. I wonder how “they”, whoever they are, came up with the money for that tomb. I know the Dixie Peppers had started making money but not that kind of money. Possibly fans chipped in but again, the Peppers were still a New Orleans phenomenon, weren’t they?

I did pretty well on the angel puzzle this time. I like most puzzles but the ones that annoy me are the tedious ones that take a gazillion moves.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

After you finish part 3—you still have until Monday night—you should have some ideas about what is going on. Some people have played this before, but I for one forgot the whole plot (the advantage of age). Anyway, if you want to check your deductive skills or your memory, answer these questions before we enter the tomb. Post your answers with spoiler tags, and at the end we’ll see who got closest to the story.

1. Who is the Man in the White Suit?
2. Did someone bring Frankie back from the dead? Who?
3. Whose voices are on the reel-to-reel tapes in Frankie’s apartment
  (a) in the dialog during the HOP
  (b) on the second reel?
4. Why does playing that saxophone make everybody freeze?
5. Did you filch some candy on the way through the Candy Shop?

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve made it to the tomb.

1. Who is the Man in the White Suit? It’s either Frankie Bolden, zombie, returned via voodoo from the dead. Or Bruno Bolden, Frankie’s brother gone mad, who is impersonating him to get revenge on the band that Bruno blames for Frankie’s death.
2. Did someone bring Frankie back from the dead? Who? Frankie’s brother Bruno either returned him from the dead (possibly with help from the voodoo lady) or is channeling Frankie’s spirit somehow and pretending to be Frankie.
  (a) in the dialog during the HOP Either zombie Frankie and Bruno. Or Bruno talking to himself, Gollum-style.
  (b) on the second reel? Bruno Bolden
4. Why does playing that saxophone make everybody freeze? There’s a tune that Bruno’s psychologist made him listen to that calmed him, almost to the point of paralysis. I think that tune (maybe modified to make it even stronger?) is being used to paralyze the crowds.
5. Did you filch some candy on the way through the Candy Shop? No, to my eternal regret. Every game should have a candy shop in it with filchable stuff.

Fruther question. I mean, further question. Is the narrator for the slide sequences also the taxi driver? The voice sounds very similar. If the taxi driver is somehow involved, it would explain why he’s hanging around us during Mardi Gras instead of making lots of money driving inebriated revelers home (and why he isn’t scared off when things get dangerous).

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Since I played the game once already, I won’t answer the questions except for #5, which is yes, of course.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now reached that amazing tomb & couldn’t stop laughing at these comments:

Becky - 19 November 2016 11:52 AM

Hey, I like that tomb! What do I have to do to earn a tomb like that?  Grin

Well, first of all you have to die. Smile

Laughing

probably played this game four times, and I have yet to solve the angel puzzle. It’s probably done in five or six moves, but I’ve never Had that “Aha!” moment where you visualize the solution.

This is the 2nd time I’ve played the game & used the skip button the 1st time for this puzzle but managed to do it this time when I had that “Aha” moment & realised that you just need to move the pieces as you would a knight on a chessboard!

I enjoyed progressing on the game but couldn’t get over the trouble it took to just find a pencil sharpener! & also doh! I didn’t think to try the blurred Rorschach sheets on the fountain water after using the bottle of ink restorer – it took me a while to work out where the bottle had gone!

The craziest puzzle was catching a mouse & squirting cream on a rope – huh? ...I was looking for a knife!

cluelass - 20 November 2016 09:08 PM

1. Who is the Man in the White Suit?
2. Did someone bring Frankie back from the dead? Who?
  (a) in the dialog during the HOP
  (b) on the second reel?
4. Why does playing that saxophone make everybody freeze?
5. Did you filch some candy on the way through the Candy Shop?

1 Bruno Bolden?
2 The taxi driver’s daughter?  Is her name Luna?
3 Can’t think!
4 It’s possibly an adaption of the music used in Bruno’s therapy sessions?
5 What! There was candy to be filched & I missed it – ooooh nooo!

EDIT:

Becky - 21 November 2016 11:27 AM

Is the narrator for the slide sequences also the taxi driver? The voice sounds very similar. If the taxi driver is somehow involved, it would explain why he’s hanging around us during Mardi Gras instead of making lots of money driving inebriated revelers home (and why he isn’t scared off when things get dangerous).

I’d missed that Luna? was the taxi-driver’s daughter until I’d done the ‘deductions’ in the detective’s office so that could explain why he’s hanging around! (Unless I’ve got completely the wrong end of the stick!) So it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s at least one of the narrators!

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

chrissie - 21 November 2016 02:01 PM

The craziest puzzle was catching a mouse & squirting cream on a rope – huh? ...I was looking for a knife!

It’s even funnier when you read it out of context in the playthrough:
Use the WHIPPED CREAM on the rope, followed by the MOUSE IN A JAR (I).
Sounds kinky!

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I know there are at least four games I’ve played that use this ploy. In Grim Tales: Mystery of Venice you captured a rat with cheese and then used the cheese on the rope that tied a gondola to the pier. ERS Games used this tactic in another of their later Grim Tales games. Either Mad Head thought of this on their own, or they simply copied it. The same type puzzle happened in a regular adventure game I played, but I’ll be damned if I can remember the title.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

It’s time to plunge ahead and solve this mystery before Daddy expires! Enter the tomb—but be on your guard. Explore more of the House of the Moon and find the cure for the fatal sax music. Go for some grog at the Old Sailor Bar and encounter another unusual HOP (but is it art?). Finally, face the Man in the White Suit and . . . ??? Will your amulet protect you?

This section is also a bit long, probably slightly over an hour, and you’ve got to watch your step, so let’s say we finish up sometime Thursday. CE players, let’s wait for the end of the main game, and then we can play the bonus chapter.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve finished the main game now & despite it being for the 2nd time I’d completely forgotten the story. Although most of the puzzles were very enjoyable I didn’t find a lot of replay value in particularly the HO screens which were a little tedious 2nd time round due to their simplicity.

Storywise it was quite refreshing to find a plot that was psychological, if a little bizarre, rather than one based on horror or the supernatural!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have finished the game, including the bonus material because I won’t have time to play again until Saturday.  It was fun playing it through again because there was so much I didn’t remember.  I really like the Mad Head games, especially the way they tell the story through the misplaced object scenes.  I also like the hidden object scenes where I had to find something mentioned in the text.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

chrissie - 22 November 2016 08:11 AM

Although most of the puzzles were very enjoyable I didn’t find a lot of replay value in particularly the HO screens which were a little tedious 2nd time round due to their simplicity.

I found the HOPs more challenging than the mini-games. The variety of types and the sharp artwork made them more fun than the usual casual. The story-telling HOPs are more interesting than the list-based, but I’m not crazy about having to find one and only one item at a time, instead of being able to get the easy ones out of the way first.

My memory for games is more visual than story-based, so when playing this the second time I was always thinking “I remember this scene, but I forgot it was in Cadenza”. For instance the old sailor’s tattoos, a unique and unforgettable HOP, and one I found really quite difficult (perhaps I was dizzy from the mixed aroma of Old Spice and shag tobacco wafting off the man).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top