• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #19 - Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve finished as well. This is the fifth time I’ve played the SE version. My thoughts on the game are well documented. Both as a commentary on the AGSOTD thread and a review on the Casual Game thread. No need to restate them here.

However, I must say that I really enjoyed playing the game as part of a playthrough. Far more than I thought I would. And way far more than I did when playing the game solo. So thank you cluelass for leading an excellent playthrough.

I’m hoping there is a YouTube video for the bonus game. I’m going to try to get a look at it over the next few days.

For my friends in the US, have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. For my friends on the other side of the Atlantic, or Pacific, ...go buy and roast a turkey leg, pour yourself a glass of wine. I’ll be raising a glass to toast all of you around 3:00 PM Chicago time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

This is the series of walkthroughs that I used while preparing: Cadenza playthrough. This has only the game audio.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve finished. Intriguing to see one set of theories confirmed. T

I loved the tattoo HO screen. I agree with cluelass, it was tough. I had to cheat twice. I don’t think I was dizzy, exactly. Though I did wonder what it would look like if we were allowed to tickle him. That would have created a woozy-like effect.

I snorted when I heard the “If you need me I’ll be in the bar” cop-out. I thought sailors were supposed to be brave. And aren’t psychologists supposed to subscribe to the “first do no harm” premise? Or is it par for the course for therapies to eventually be modified into weapons?

Turkey will be consumed here at about the same time as at Tim’s. Paired with sparkling wine in a feeble attempt at innovation.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

cluelass - 22 November 2016 04:49 PM

My memory for games is more visual than story-based, so when playing this the second time I was always thinking “I remember this scene, but I forgot it was in Cadenza”. For instance the old sailor’s tattoos, a unique and unforgettable HOP, and one I found really quite difficult (perhaps I was dizzy from the mixed aroma of Old Spice and shag tobacco wafting off the man).

I completely forgot about the old sailor’s tattoo HO challenge which I did really like the 2nd time around too!

Happy Thanksgiving to Tim, Becky, Lady Kestrel & all of you over the pond that are also celebrating!  Smile

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, the tattoos were a challenge but cleverly done. I needed a hint for one item because it was too dark to see but managed to find the rest on my own. 

Thanks for hosting this, Cluelass.  I had fun with it.

I’ll be up watching the Macy’s parade on tv tomorrow morning, and then I’ll be heading about 6 miles south to my sister-in-law’s place for all the traditional goodies plus the chocolate mousse cake I’m bringing.  (A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine, you know.)  Happy Thanksgiving to all here in the US!  I’ll raise a glass of white zinfandel to all tomorrow.   

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Finished the game and liked it a lot although not as much as the first time around. I liked the fact that the hidden object scenes were not all the same and yes, I like the tattoo one the best. Also liked the way the developers wove the story of the Dixie Peppers in with the current mystery.

My biggest gripe? Shooting Frankie was not an accident. Maybe not first degree murder but definitely not an accident like was claimed. A smaller gripe would be that the puzzles could have been harder.

Thanks for doing such a good job on leading the playthrough, Cluelass.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

It looks like we have all sailed over New Orleans in Benny’s zeppelin and finished the game.  I hope everyone has enjoyed the ride, as I certainly have. Thanks for your participation with a novice playthrough leader.

Becky and Chrissy tied for best detective on the “quiz”. Becky gets the “sharp ears” achievement for her suggestion that the slide shows narrator might be the taxi driver. (As for question 3, I believe that Bruno was talking to the psychologist on that first tape reel, during the HOP, and to himself on the second reel.) Tim gets the “sharp quips” achievement for his reply to Becky’s question about how to get a tomb like Frankie’s: “Well, first of all you have to die.”

I see that a couple of players have gone ahead with the bonus game, where you find out how Frankie got his white suit. But if anyone is waiting, let’s go back to that wonderful year 1926, and wrap it up by Saturday. This thread will stay open for any comments on the main game, bonus game, and extras.

As for the main game, I think they did a nice job of wrapping it up with a satisfying conclusion. One thing I noticed this time, the zeppelin and the cylinder phonograph were decades-old anachronisms in 1946, but since I choose to think of this as a dream world, I don’t let it bother me.

And now I’m going to sleep off the aftermath of our traditional visit to a local restaurant’s magnificent Thanksgiving buffet. (I may need the “Song of Water” to bring me out of my coma.)

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am suffering from a tryptophan overdose. I have an uncontrollable desire to nap.

I watched the YouTube video of the bonus game. I thought it was an interesting story. but didn’t think it added much to the main game. All I got was the game audio. It’s rare, but sometimes the audio of the player commentary is interesting and adds something to my understanding. That wasn’t the case here.

The game ended well on its own. So, to me, the bonus material would not have been worth the extra $$.

Nice job.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 24 November 2016 06:26 PM

The game ended well on its own. So, to me, the bonus material would not have been worth the extra $$.

I agree! I do have the CE & although it was engaging enough it was not really needed to conclude the main game!  Smile

Thank you cluelass for hosting a very enjoyable playthrough & to you & everyone that took part for your interesting comments.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Some comments on the bonus material: The storyline was connected to the main game, and I liked the ending, where we see Frankie in his white suit on his way to New Orleans. I think there was one new music track. The artwork was poor compared to the main game — Frankie’s apartment was barely a conceptual scene — but the gameplay was OK. The extras were a bit unusual in the way you have to go back and finish picking up collectibles to open a sequence of several new puzzles and one final cutscene. Only the HOP scenes can be replayed and I was disappointed I couldn’t go back and look at the connections solution. On the whole, the bonus package was a bit above average. Whether it was worth the price depends on how you feel about CEs in general.

See you back at the regular casual games thread.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I thought it was intriguing that the bonus game gave an indication of how desperately poor Frankie and Bruno were before Frankie joined the band. It at least gives an idea as to why Frankie wanted more money than the rest of the musicians when he became the “star.”

I’ve also, I think, solved the question of how Frankie got that fancy tomb. The owner of the club who admired Frankie so much surely had a hand in paying for the special tomb.

Thanks for the playthrough, cluelass! I had a lively, jazzy time.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I enjoyed the bonus because, as Becky mentioned, it did tie up a few loose ends.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This was wonderful, and I can hardly wait for the next playthrough. But, as I said, I’m not going to be in charge.

Someone needs to step up.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top