• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hero-U, from the developers of Quest for Glory

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Corey Cole - 24 October 2012 10:01 AM

We’ve talked about having a companion that has little effect on combat, and that makes its own decisions.

We are also looking into having another (NPC) student occasionally accompany you into the catacombs.  Again, he/she would probably be autonomous.  That one has technical issues, so we’ll have to experiment to find out if we can do it.

At the moment, Hero-U seems to be a hard-sell to both adventure game and RPG’ers.  Each seems to think we’re too far skewed in the other direction.  I plan to post more design notes on the project, but I’m not sure very many people will see/read them.  Hero’s Quest created similar confusion, but Sierra’s marketing and the name similarity for King’s Quest got people to try the game back then.  Once they did, both adventure gamers and role-players loved it, but it’s a really hard idea to get across.

I really think seeing is believing. If you look at Kickstarter successes, they all almost fall into one of two categories: 1) Projects that bear a strong enough similarity to a past project that its concept is immediately understood (most of the adventure and RPG projects) or 2) projects that do enough prototyping to communicate the idea in a video (Planetary Annihilation, Castle Story, Yogventures). If you can do both (Star Citizen, Grim Dawn), then even better.

This may not be the former, and if it doesn’t succeed (and I hope it does, of course), I think you’d probably do well to go ahead with some prototyping and then try it again when you can really show what makes this game special.

I think the Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite project ran into the same problem. It’s not really that the concept was too out there, but it wasn’t exactly like their previous work, and there wasn’t enough to show of the game besides some concept sketches, so the reaction was pretty apathetic.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

something else that could be a big help: getting twitter endorsements from industry related people such as jane jensen and tim schafer.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I don’t think endorsements would make the difference here, although twitter mentions can definitely help.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^anything that keeps it moving could make all the difference in the long run. A big mention could increase the day by 5-10k, and keep things moving in the right direction.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-10-22

PM

We’ve talked about having a companion that has little effect on combat, and that makes its own decisions.

I love the idea of having a useless, bumbling sidekick whose only function is to make witty remarks and get into trouble, necessitating a heroic rescue.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

oasis789 - 24 October 2012 10:52 PM

I love the idea of having a useless, bumbling sidekick whose only function is to make witty remarks and get into trouble, necessitating a heroic rescue.

Unless all they do is die all the time, necessitating a loadgame every 2 minutes.

But yes, I like the idea too.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-07-06

PM

Update #3 is posted which answers some important questions: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-10-11

PM

Zin - 23 October 2012 01:11 PM

Somehow, there’s something about a game developer posting in a public forum about production costs and the share that goes to Amazon and GOG that feels wrong to me. I realize game production is a tough business on many fronts but seriously, I don’t care about it. What I do care about however, is the chance of witnessing the design and artistic development of a game via regular updates and promo items.

To me, that’s the main reason I back a project: positive ideas and a great sense of anticipation, not the budget details or art costs or financial troubles. And frankly, alluding that your audience is clueless about such obstacles is not only annoying, but also indicates a lack of professionalism.

When fans express concerns about your art style, why not simply explain the advantages it has and how your game can benefit from it instead of lecturing them on business essentials?

With respect, I think Mr. Cole was simply answering a question honestly.  I’m not sure the poster would have appreciated being snowed over with a (seemingly) condescending vague answer.  Perhaps Mr. Cole’s response came off a bit abrupt, but I appreciate the openness.

I do agree that Mr. Cole should have led with the benefits on the art style before finances.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

the last 24 hours are finally trending back up again! very good sign, with both $ and backer gains.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2012-09-25

PM

zane - 25 October 2012 01:39 PM

the last 24 hours are finally trending back up again! very good sign, with both $ and backer gains.

We have new publicity coming in every day, with several interviews scheduled over the next week.  We’re working hard to gain momentum, then keep it going, because we all Really Want to Make Hero-U a great game.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2005-11-23

PM

Corey Cole - 23 October 2012 03:24 PM

Ok, fair enough.  I answered specific comments and didn’t feel my answer would be believable if I said, “Um, no, Bastion cost a lot more than you think,” or “We can’t afford to give that away for less than $15,” without showing some real numbers.  I’ll leave all that out from now on.  It’s true that very few people want to know what goes on inside Pixar Studios - They just want to enjoy the resulting magic.

blsheep04 - 25 October 2012 01:14 PM

With respect, I think Mr. Cole was simply answering a question honestly.  I’m not sure the poster would have appreciated being snowed over with a (seemingly) condescending vague answer.  Perhaps Mr. Cole’s response came off a bit abrupt, but I appreciate the openness. I do agree that Mr. Cole should have led with the benefits on the art style before finances.

Agreed with both of you here. In hindsight, I think I felt annoyed because the thread was getting sidetracked by details that I find obtrusive and negative. Thankfully, it has now regained its rightful purpose - promoting Hero-U, that is!

Smile

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Zin - 25 October 2012 09:34 PM

Agreed with both of you here. In hindsight, I think I felt annoyed because the thread was getting sidetracked by details that I find obtrusive and negative. Thankfully, it has now regained its rightful purpose - promoting Hero-U, that is!

Smile

We aren’t here to kiss ass. We are here to ask questions and validate the cause of starting said project. Everything answered by Cole was exactly what I wanted to hear. You wouldn’t be much of an investor if you don’t ask questions. lol

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-10-22

PM

Oscar - 25 October 2012 01:19 AM
oasis789 - 24 October 2012 10:52 PM

Unless all they do is die all the time, necessitating a loadgame every 2 minutes.

But yes, I like the idea too.

Maybe they can be knocked out but not actually die except at dramatic plot points?

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Today has had a greater pledge amount than Friday. I think that’s a pretty good sign since weekends are typically slow.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

Isn’t there a statistic that no Kickstarter which reached 50% and had 500+ backers has ever failed? Something like that.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top