• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hero-U, from the developers of Quest for Glory

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Thumbs Up

Hooray! Well done to the Coles and best of luck for the game! Now comes the easy part - working your magic like you’ve done for us so many times before!  Wink

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Yay!

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

Congrats! That was too close… Smile

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

We did it! Another Sierra team returns to the fold! May the adventure renaissance continue! Now… what’s next? Roberta Williams… Kickstarter is calling you!

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-11-10

PM

This is so ridiculously exciting.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

In a new update, Corey Cole explains that the concept has evolved a bit, so that the game is now going to be a bit more like the Quest for Glory series:

“It was clear that what you really wanted was something more like the Quest for Glory series and less like yet another RPG.”

“Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption evolved from an RPG/Adventure Game into a modern take on Quest for Glory with turn-based, puzzle-oriented combat. We decided to let the players out-think the monsters in the game rather than out-mouse-click them.”

More info here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/479192

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

You’ve got to love how every monthly update is about how they’ve had an epiphany and decided to change the game’s look and design all over again. When I read that update a few days ago, I went and checked when the Kickstarter actually ended; turns out it’s been 6 months – and they still have no idea what the game is going to look like or play like…

Oh well… We all knew some of those Kickstarters were going to be a mess.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jannik - 14 May 2013 08:18 PM

“Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption evolved from an RPG/Adventure Game into a modern take on Quest for Glory with turn-based, puzzle-oriented combat. We decided to let the players out-think the monsters in the game rather than out-mouse-click them.”

More info here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/479192

But… QFG was a RPG/Adventure game, wasn’t it?

Anyway, turn-based combat is a welcome change. It is the graphics I’m worried about - last time I checked they looked more like some casual tile-based web-browser game, than the hand-painted goodness we are used to from QFG.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oscar - 14 May 2013 09:05 PM

yes, but at the time of the kickstarter the creators made it a point to say that adventure wasnt the focus here, and repeatedly stressed that hero u was an rpg primarily. They even went so far as to ask people to call it an rpg, and tried to distance a little from the adventure label. Though i think theyv been walking back that stance ever since Wink

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

zane - 15 May 2013 02:01 AM
Oscar - 14 May 2013 09:05 PM

yes, but at the time of the kickstarter the creators made it a point to say that adventure wasnt the focus here, and repeatedly stressed that hero u was an rpg primarily. They even went so far as to ask people to call it an rpg, and tried to distance a little from the adventure label. Though i think theyv been walking back that stance ever since Wink

Its really hard to complain as RPGs and Adventures have a loving relationship. If you ignore the design departure JRPGs took, you’ll find that they have so much in common. I think if all the right points are hit, this game could be great and can be appreciated by traditional adventure gamers.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Wouldn’t it have kind have been obvious from the start that most people that would back a game by the people that did Quest for Glory… probably wanted something more akin to Quest for Glory than whatever it was they originally proposed?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do believe their original pitch cost them at least some backers. I know I didn’t back, because I wasn’t that interested about their original gameplay/gamestyle idea.

However, now that they are in the midst of changin the looks of the game I hope they don’t run out of money. Corey Cole mentioned at some point, that they might consider another funding run at some point and I think it might be very possible at this point.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

If they do another funding run, I hope they crash and burn.  Someone needs to be made into an example.  Name recognition does not preclude terrible ideas or botched execution.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Lambonius - 15 May 2013 03:18 AM

If they do another funding run, I hope they crash and burn.  Someone needs to be made into an example.  Name recognition does not preclude terrible ideas or botched execution.

Sometimes, your wording reminds me of this guy:

I’ll agree that the Coles Kickstarter has been a mess pretty much from the start, but I don’t understand the need to wish them ill. Just because you’ve participated in a successful kickstarter yourself doesn’t make you the king of kickstarters.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Yeah, don’t know how I’d feel about another fundraiser. Perhaps the Coles should approach AGDi and IA with whatever money they have left to work on a QfG-like game with them when they’re done with Mage’s Initiation and Quest for Infamy.

... well, it’s just a thought.  Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top