• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypantsKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hero-U, from the developers of Quest for Glory

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kolorabi - 18 September 2012 06:52 PM

Having said this, I’m not quite convinced that the new game is what I would prefer, as a QfG-fan. It does seem like it’s crossing a bit too much into RPG territory. Naturally I understand that the Coles are making the game they want to make, and I am absolutely going to back it. But I think I would have dug deeper in my wallet if it looked more like a QfG-game.

That’s what I thought aswell. I asked Corey Cole about this, and his answer made me a bit more interested in the combat elements, as he explained it would have a more puzzle-like approach, rather than real time twitch elements of the old QFG’s. He was somewhat evasive though as to whether any parts of the game would have the typical point and click adventure “feel”, so i suppose it’s fair to assume that it won’t.

I guess I’ll be backing the project anyhow, but I think they are taking a huge risk by crossing too much into RPG territory, whilst maintaining handpainted backgrounds. Hardcore RPG fans aren’t gonna be happy about a 2D model, while adventure gamers aren’t gonna empty their wallets for an RPG and the old QfG fans will have a problem with the game if it’s abandoning its adventure roots (keep in mind, im thinking loudly here, not making statements, and I may very well be completely wrong).

Anyway, it seems the campaign has a good chance to reach its goal, and I wish the Coles the best of luck!

EDIT: Upon further inquiry, Cole confirmed that all the elements I expect from a classic adventure will be present, so I take back, and apologize, for my accusation about evasiveness. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a project to back! Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Seems, that they’ve removed the top down images mockup from the page… Good move, I think those images probably harmed the campaign a bit :-(

Of all projects I’ve backed Hero U is probably the project I look forward to the most, so I really hope it reaches its goal.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yeah, they have tuned up the page quite nicely now, and it suddenly looks much more attractive to adventure gamers Smile

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Dag - 01 November 2012 10:57 PM
Kurufinwe - 18 September 2012 06:52 PM

Having said this, I’m not quite convinced that the new game is what I would prefer, as a QfG-fan. It does seem like it’s crossing a bit too much into RPG territory. Naturally I understand that the Coles are making the game they want to make, and I am absolutely going to back it. But I think I would have dug deeper in my wallet if it looked more like a QfG-game.

Hey, don’t put my name on stuff I didn’t say! That’s Kolorabi’s quote! Pan

In other news, I’m seriously getting worried about this project. All the magical thinking about how “projects that reach x% generally don’t fail” doesn’t change the fact that the project now needs an average of $13,000 per day to reach its goal. That hasn’t happened since day 2, and it’s not going to happen without something being done about it.

Unfortunately I’m not sure what can be done. The Coles are doing lots of interviews, they’ve changed their story from “We’ve moved beyond Quest for Glory, this is going to be something new and different” to “Yeah, this is going to be very much like Quest for Glory and all the QfG fans should give us all their money” (which I guess had to be done; a hybrid is hard enough to sell, having a familiar reference point helps). I’ve upped my pledge to as high as I can go, and I’m sure many backers have (though there’s still some room for improvement there; the average pledge is $56, vs. eg. $75 for Jane Jensen). I don’t know… It’d be nice if the people who passed on it initially had another look at the updated page, maybe read a couple of the interviews, and gave some more thought to their decision not to pledge.

It would really suck if it failed, because everything about it sounds really exciting.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

if they can get to 200k in the next 5ish days, then i think they’ll make it in the end.. not by very much.. but theyll get to 400k.
If they dont hit that 50% mark in the next week.. then it starts to get more and more grim. Tongue

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

zane - 02 November 2012 01:43 AM

if they can get to 200k in the next 5ish days, then i think they’ll make it in the end.. not by very much.. but theyll get to 400k.
If they dont hit that 50% mark in the next week.. then it starts to get more and more grim. Tongue

Yeah. I’m glad they’ve sorted out the Kickstarter-page (though I’m not sure the video has been improved, it lingers too long on the rewards). But I wonder if it was too late. There are suddenly TONS of impressive projects on Kickstarter.

I hope they manage to put together some kind of representative image of how the dungeon crawling parts will look before the final push.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

True for the video, I’ve watched it again and I started doing something else once they got to the rewards… And, I’m someone who has been eagerly waiting for a kickstarter for Hero U since the start of all the Adventure Game Kickstarter craze…
So, that definitely should be improved…

The problem is that I think they’ve lost a lot of potential backers in the first few days with the page as it was and now it’s hard to get people to take a look again at the page…

It’s really a pity because outside of that the updates are great (they give a lot of answers to questions on games mechanics), the Coles are very active with interviews and so on… Man, I really just hope this project pulls through (more so than any other projects I’ve backed up until now)...

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kurufinwe - 02 November 2012 01:32 AM

Hey, don’t put my name on stuff I didn’t say! That’s Kolorabi’s quote! Pan

Oooh, damn, so sorry about that Confused it’s been edited out now Gasp

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

This Kickstarter business is starting to get a little scary… Hero U has slowed to a snail’s pace and it’s hardly asking for the high amounts other Sierra alumni were asking for. I hope they get scrounge an extra 200k in under a month.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

thejobloshow - 02 November 2012 11:04 PM

This Kickstarter business is starting to get a little scary… Hero U has slowed to a snail’s pace and it’s hardly asking for the high amounts other Sierra alumni were asking for. I hope they get scrounge an extra 200k in under a month.

Jane and Two Guys’ campaigns also had very, very slow middle periods, but they pulled through (and then some for Jane - nearly 50% extra).

Not saying there isn’t a risk of failing, but right now I guess one could hope that the last two weeks will bring some holdouts, which will make the campaign look more likely to be funded, which will cause more holdouts to give in, etc.

Pledge bumps were big with a lot of campaigns to inch them closer to goals. I haven’t followed Hero-U’s comments closely, but I know they have a pledge bump thing going ($5.89). But it’s all about new backers, obviously.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-10-11

PM

New & Improved video up w/ new update

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

I think it’s an improvement for sure. And the new concept art of the dungeon crawling part is also much better. I just wish they had something like that to begin with, I can’t help but think the campaign would have fared a lot better then.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-10-11

PM

Kolorabi - 08 November 2012 09:04 AM

I think it’s an improvement for sure. And the new concept art of the dungeon crawling part is also much better. I just wish they had something like that to begin with, I can’t help but think the campaign would have fared a lot better then.

Yah, if they don’t make it, perhaps they’ll comeback with a stronger pitch w/more art, and clearer language.  I hope they do well.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

if they started with around 45 days theyd likely make it.
Theres still a hope… and part of it hinges on current backers increasing their pledges by an average of 10-15 dollars. They should also consider trying to identify who might be willing to pledge big, and make a game out of it much like the tex murphy campaign did. (for example people pledge to put up 5k for every 25k it makes, so at 225k it immediately jumps to 230)

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-11-13

PM

Although Space Quest 3 was my first adventure game, I picked up a copy of Hero’s Quest later that year.  Hero’s Quest was my first experience in RPGs and my definitive experience in fantasy.  I will never forget the cover to that game.
I played the Quest for Glory games for several years and it was always my secret indulgence.  I had some friends who played D&D, but I was always afraid to play because of my propagandized ignorance of the game.  I was in my school library one day in 1994 when I noticed a paperback novel left on a table.  The cover caught my attention.  The red dragon in the background looked very similar to the cover of Hero’s Quest.  I checked out Dragons of Autumn Twilight and the rest is history.  I started reading fantasy novels like crazy, my friends noticed my interest in fantasy and invited me to play D&D, and I remain an avid fan of fantasy and RPG to this day. I even DM a 3.5 edition campaign of Dragonlance which you can read about on our wiki!
For me, Quest for Glory was a catalyst for fun, excitement, and socialization far beyond what the series offered in hours of playtime.  I owe a lot to the Cole’s for their creative influence throughout the Quest for Glory series.  This Kickstarter is my opportunity to repay the enjoyment they have provided me both monetarily and with zealous support!

——————————
Torchino Motorino

“What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can’t use it?” -Erasmus

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top