• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hero-U, from the developers of Quest for Glory

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

Alexian - 19 October 2012 03:42 PM

The isometric visual style is just necessity because it let’s us create far more game with an indie art budget (we can create a much larger world with less individual art assets).  It should should be hand-drawn Bastion-like art style in the final game.

Not quite sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that the art style in the isometric, dungeon crawler-images is basically placeholder graphics, and that the full game will look more like the location paintings - but with an isometric viewpoint?

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Frogacuda - 19 October 2012 05:24 PM

I also wasn’t being passive aggressive as much as trying to cut off a conflict before it happens. No worries.

Hmm, let’s see…

Frogacuda - 19 October 2012 04:07 PM

inm8 will probably hate me again…

I’m curious to know how this “cuts off a conflict before it happens.” Seems to be a petty attempt to instigate conflict or go out of your way to somehow call me out based on pent up feelings from previous discussions.

So, that’s two passive aggressive posts and false projections of intent to create “conflict” onto me. Smile

LOL I’m a real bully, “going after” people left and right. Someone save AG from the monster known as inm8#2…or maybe I should stay out of the English-language discussions for awhile. Wink

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I cannot express to you how little interest I have in continuing this coversation. I figured if I poked some fun preemptively you wouldn’t just jump right in and do the very thing I was describing.

I was wrong. You win. Let’s move on, now.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I haven’t criticized your lack of interest in the project, which is what you claimed I would do. I’ve merely responded to and debunked your repeated personal jabs.

In other news, I think $50k and 600 backers after ~5 hours or so is a good start, but most of these people probably determined to back the game no matter what to support the Coles. The more press coverage the better. Weekends tend to be slow on kickstarter, so that concerns me a bit.

I would imagine the Coles have plans for updates, showing artwork, sharing design plans, etc. But as always the key thing will be gaining new backers. Existing ones upping their pledges helps out in the end of the campaign, but right now it seems like there isn’t much buzz around the web about this, other than articles at kotaku and rpgcodex.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-09-19

PM

We were expecting the Kickstarter to go live at midnight last night, not accounting for the final approval required by Kickstarter.  We have a few more things on the way that had to be paused for the final approval.  Sucks, but such is life.

Joined 2012-09-19

PM

Not quite sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that the art style in the isometric, dungeon crawler-images is basically placeholder graphics, and that the full game will look more like the location paintings - but with an isometric viewpoint?

It’ll be more of the painted dream-like style of Bastion:

Bastion

Once the artists recover from the final pre-Kickstarter stretch, will work on getting a few clearer examples of what we mean.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Alexian - 19 October 2012 07:36 PM

We were expecting the Kickstarter to go live at midnight last night, not accounting for the final approval required by Kickstarter.  We have a few more things on the way that had to be paused for the final approval.  Sucks, but such is life.

Aside from dedicated sites like AG or RPGCodex, have you been in touch with places like RPS, PC Gamer, etc.? A few articles on those general gaming sites will bring awareness to a lot of people.

Supporters of Obsidian’s “Project Eternity” may also be interested in Hero-U.

Sorry, I’m don’t mean to be intrusive or give unwanted advice. I just want to help in any way and am thinking out loud. If there’s something community members here can do, let us know. But things look good so far. We just need to keep spreading the word.

Joined 2012-09-19

PM

We have an exclusive interview with RPS.  They are my favorite game site.  It just got delayed in the queue due to the late launch, so I expect it will show up tomorrow or Monday.  We don’t have anything special for PC Gamer, but I’ll follow up with them on Monday if necessary.

We always appreciate the advice! 

One thing to keep in mind is for fans to share this via their social media channels when appropriate:

—-
“Please help get word out about the project - the first day being successful is a critical part for getting the entire project being funded.

Here is sample Facebook and Twitter messages you can use to get the word out there.

Facebook:
Hey, if anyone on Facebook likes RPGs or Adventure games, check out this awesome Kickstarter – http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption. It’s a new RPG game by the makers of Quest for Glory, one of my favorite games ever.

Twitter:
Check out this RPG Kickstarter project I’m super excited about from the makers of Quest for Glory - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption”
—-

Thanks for your support and thoughts!

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Great! I think that RPS article will provide a nice boost. Hopefully other sites like PC Gamer, IGN, GameSpot, The Verge, Ars Technica, etc. will add some coverage as they seem to have done for most major gaming kickstarters. There are also some indie gaming sites like Indie Games, IndieGamingMag, etc. that could also be helpful.

And of course, Jackal put an article on AG. Wink

But I agree that in this day and age its all about the grassroots communication on social media and message boards. We’re on it!

edit - and just seconds after posting this, I check my news feed and there’s this article from IGN with a blurb about Hero-U! Thumbs Up

Five Kickstarters We Think You Should Watch

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

It’s not an adventure game kickstarter, so of course IGN are happy to report it. Wink

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

It may be an unfortunate truth that people don’t like to support Kickstarters that stray from what a developer is known for. All the successful big-ticket Kickstarters from established names seem to revolve around those creators revisiting past successes.

I hope I’m wrong about that, because it seems kind of lame in a way, but it might be true. These tend to be either completely original or just nostalgia-based.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Frogacuda - 19 October 2012 09:58 PM

It may be an unfortunate truth that people don’t like to support Kickstarters that stray from what a developer is known for. All the successful big-ticket Kickstarters from established names seem to revolve around those creators revisiting past successes.

I hope I’m wrong about that, because it seems kind of lame in a way, but it might be true. These tend to be either completely original or just nostalgia-based.

I don’t see what’s lame about saying I don’t like the idea so I’m not going to support the Kickstarter. The developers of Hero-U are advertising the project as “from the developers of Quest for Glory”, so it’s clear they see that as a selling point. If so, you can’t blame QFG fans for not wanting to support a “top-down, tiled turn-based RPG” that looks more like Chip’s Challenge than Quest for Glory.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I’d think a real fan would be open to seeing them explore new things.

I don’t really find this project appealing either, but not because it’s different, just because I don’t.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m a fan of Quest for Glory, not its developers. I didn’t even know who Cory and Lori Cole were until I read this thread.

Anyone who automatically supports a new game just because it’s from the same developers is crazy. “From the creators of ...” isn’t enough for me, sorry.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’ll be honest. Its a struggle to support the project, but I have faith that the game will have the same feel and excitement of Quest for Glory. Especially since I REALLY love Bastion.

Alex, i’m glad you guys are using Bastion as inspiration, that game really sold it for digital paint graphics in gaming. Nothing felt so vivid and shark in a 2d world before.

So, i’ll give the project a chance. I’m glad its getting a lot of publicity. I first saw its mention on RPS too, so I knew it was all going in the right direction. Again, I can’t support the project like I would have three weeks ago since I don’t have that much cash. I like to go big or not at all.

Best of luck Alex!

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top