• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Runthroughs (blind)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

and the solution is at the guitar pic, the note sheet is extra just made to let you know the keys names and connecting them to their places of musical sheets, not everyone playing adventures is a musician Grin

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

“Do you remember our hyper-realistic snowman?”
“-It appeared so true to life. And nobody knew our secret.”
“Nobody besides Alfred.”
“-Yeah. But he couldn’t tell anyone with a carrot in his mouth.”

Whoever said the game is not funny doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

“I don’t remember my bathtub being a convertible.”

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The player… never knew what hit him.

Of course I did as Harvey said. I’m not even interested in the “second” ending. Cool

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m giving the game a 4.5/5. There isn’t, and perhaps there never will be a game like this.  There are only two problems with the game: First, in the middle, biggest portion of the game, you’re expected to explore a vast gameworld (it might be one building, but it’s vast from both the design and player’s perspective), to go back and forth and be very patient (pun not intended) and observant. The game’s interface helps you zero with that. A simple double-click to instantly go through doors/screens would be a God-given, let alone the quick-travel map, which I think wouldn’t take any of the game’s enjoyment, because the strive for a strict realism isn’t on the game’s top priority list. I think it would even motivate players to try all sort of zany combinations and attach them to the brilliant gameworld and script, writing and characters more. I can see many fans of adventure games giving it up at this moment, let alone the casual players. Frustration is also a given with the “elevator system” (it was fun the first time, but not the other 100 times), especially when you’re not sure where you should be looking next.

The second, quite minor complain is of a game concept nature - once Dr. Marcel gets back to the asylum, hears of the escape and announces the search of the premises, you can still freely explore the building and its surrounding, the only obstacle being the driver at the stairs. Either you don’t raise the alarm, or give player more obstacles at this point, like more guards, perhaps some timed-sequences etc.

But that’s it. Everything other shines, and perhaps the “biggest flaw” of the game is ironically its biggest strength - the sheer amount of things to do, things to try, which might prove overwhelming for many players. It’s a philosophy on its own. That’s why I think Edna & Harvey: The Breakout is a game very much like its heroine - a girl (game) not very pleasant on a first sight, rigid, but once you get to know her, there is sea of good things and qualities to be seen. The things I liked the most, other than a very unique main character with a personality that “breathes” along the game, is of course, another great addition to the sidekick’s line. All Harvey’s comments are perfect, and I found them funny as well. The only thing I wished for is that when you “talk to” Harvey, it would produce a different dialog depending on the moment in game, perhaps with some hints, but can you really complain about it in a game where Harvey will comment everything from a chair to a signature on a diploma?! Also, I wished for a more of a tempomorph sequences, with 3(?) being too little for a whole game, and more of Harvey’s abilities. Like I said earlier, I found most of the puzzles VERY original and logical (they’re hard, yes), which is a big, big success as they’re almost all of the inventory nature, where it’s hard to come up with something new. There’re only 2 or 3 puzzles which I think weren’t efficiently presented, like the WC puzzle where letters could be more obvious, and the stone puzzle near the end.

Finally, the story is (I know, or I suspect the other ending is more “right”) like the best ballad that you love - both heartwarming, and melancholic, and Edna’s house shows the best that idea, the passage of time. It teaches us to cherish the moment and the child in ourselves. Nerd When I finished the game, the first thing I did was to clean my messy room Heart Eyes  I also didn’t see the plot twist, I don’t think it’s that obvious to foresee as some people say.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

And only NOW I learn that you can splatter ketchup on almost every piece of furniture?! Why haven’t someone told me? Angry  I’m soooo replaying this.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

diego - 07 June 2016 01:16 PM

And only NOW I learn that you can splatter ketchup on almost every piece of furniture?! Why haven’t someone told me? Angry  I’m soooo replaying this.

Did you use the pen on the kitchen wall?

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Have you tried everything in your inventory on Dr. Marcel’s portrait? You should be able to use some 8-10 objects to express your feelings for him. One of my favorite destructive actions in the game. I posted a pic once, before and after, can’t find it anymore. Remarkable detail: when you talk to Jung (or Freud, I don’t remember) about stuff, the truth about what Edna did is revealed.

I left my mark all over Dr. Marcel’s room, but I didn’t think of giving the kitchen a makeover, like Jabod said.

You absolutely should watch the second ending, diego. If you haven’t saved, watch it on youtube. 

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i was so excited thru this play, tho i didn’t join in, i actually know this game by heart, but now maybe you should try Harvey new Eyes, its not as good, NO WAY, but you will enjoy it diego in your current state, as you will meet all; Drogglejug for instance Smile, its very nostalgic about the 1st part, and will you meet Edna too

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Jabod - 07 June 2016 02:14 PM

Did you use the pen on the kitchen wall?

You kidding?! I used it on the MOON!!! Smile Edna was here.

Karlok - 07 June 2016 03:20 PM

Have you tried everything in your inventory on Dr. Marcel’s portrait? You should be able to use some 8-10 objects to express your feelings for him. One of my favorite destructive actions in the game. I posted a pic once, before and after, can’t find it anymore. Remarkable detail: when you talk to Jung (or Freud, I don’t remember) about stuff, the truth about what Edna did is revealed.

Haven’t tried any of that. Frown I made absolutely the “worst” choice for a runthrough - the game is to be cherished like a pet. But, perhaps, it was the only way to see through it.

Karlok - 07 June 2016 03:20 PM

You absolutely should watch the second ending, diego. If you haven’t saved, watch it on youtube.

NO!! AS HARVEY SAYS! AS HARVEY SAYS!

Advie - 07 June 2016 03:46 PM

i was so excited thru this play, tho i didn’t join in, i actually know this game by heart, but now maybe you should try Harvey new Eyes

I’ll definitely try it at some point, but I’m not crazy (see what I did there?) to jump straight to it. I’m definitely disappointed to hear about the much less interactive world, but still it might be my cup of tea.

And only NOW I learn that you can splatter ketchup on almost every piece of furniture?! Why haven’t someone told me? Angry

Actually, someone did tell me.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

let see how you could have finished TMoS (as you said) in five days, i dare you?
but there is one way to do it really

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie - 07 June 2016 08:16 PM

let see how you could have finished TMoS (as you said) in five days, i dare you?
but there is one way to do it really

Sorry Advie, I’m waiting for Moment of Silence to be a community playthrough. Tongue Smile My next runthrough is Spycraft: The Great Game. Whoever wants to join me, you can get it on GOG for cheap. I’ll be starting tonight.

Runthrough 2: Spycraft: The Great Game

As a new CIA operative, you’ve been called to Washington. Apparently a Russian candidate for president was assassinated while giving a public speech. Can you uncover a conspiracy that reaches the highest level of government (both US and Russia)?

This will be really a half-blind runthrough, but I played the game almost 20 years ago, and now I can’t even remember if I ever finished it. I also remember only one or two puzzles. All I remember is that the game is - great! Wink

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m still working on finishing Edna, probably only Friday so I’m not jumping in a new one.
Also I’m getting some lovely new games boxes tomorrow so I’ll probably set those up.
Plus there’s a lot of football to be seen now Smile

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Charles Napier as seen in The Silence of the Lambs, who has a role in Spycraft as our trainer at the beginning. Smile

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 08 June 2016 04:10 PM

I’m still working on finishing Edna, probably only Friday so I’m not jumping in a new one.
Also I’m getting some lovely new games boxes tomorrow so I’ll probably set those up.
Plus there’s a lot of football to be seen now Smile

That’s fine - please comment about Edna here!!! I want to hear your thoughts.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top