• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #16 - Fright

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

It is nice to see the place in good repair in the bonus chapter. If I understand correctly, Ella falls into the well and Mrs Henderson, not having Lassie around, adopts another girl Ella’s age with the intention of trading this girl to a demon in exchange for Ella. The doctor foils this plot but a possessed Ella is still terrorizing Emma. Apparently this demon is not in possession of Ella at all times because it also possesses the occupants of the motel. This fact I guess is what enables you and Emma to “cure” Ella at the end with the bear.

I agree with Iznogood that the ending is weak and there should be some type of boss battle or some other major breakthrough.

Overall there is a lot to like about Fright and other than carping about the ending, there is not much to dislike. Awesome game to play over Halloween.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have watched the bonus chapter on youtube.

So it was the mother that was the culprit!

Her own child falls down an old well and dies. She (they) then adopt a girl approximately the same age, and the mother starts performing some kind of black magic, in order to revive her own child, and transfer her soul into the adopted child. The ritual is however interrupted by the doctor and Mr. Henderson, so the soul of Ella is left in some kind of limbo, where she is neither dead nor alive.

The soul of Ella then begins to terrorise the neighbourhood, and makes people disappear. Mr. Henderson knows or suspects what is going on, but decides to try and keep it a secret. He also locks Emma in the attic to try to keep her safe from both his wife and his daughter - BTW, shouldn’t he had locked Mrs. Henderson in the attic instead?
this goes on for 7-8 years until we arrive, and solve everything by appeasing the soul of Ella with a teddy bear.

Hmm - I’m still not sure I like the ending of the SE version, but the bonus chapter does add some logic to it all.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

There’s something about the land around the farm and under the well—I think the black mist demon was there long before Ella—there are other human forms down there, much more incorporated into the earth than the elderly lady, policeman and bus driver that Ella managed to call to her. And the scarecrows and the corn are affected—after the bus driver jumps out the motel window, the corn grows suddenly to block our path. I wonder if the demon also caused the well cover to break when Ella was playing there in the first place, making her fall? And this raises the question—the black mist overpowers the player character early on—how does the player character manage to resist it?

As for the teddy bear, which is actually a stuffed rabbit—I think what brought Ella back to life wasn’t just the rabbit, but Emma’s willingness to set aside her fear and help the “little sister” who had been haunting her for years.

The first time I played this game and saw the SE ending, I thought that what happened down the well had somehow reset time—that we were back in time, once again on the bus, and this time the crows didn’t distract the bus driver and we didn’t crash, and instead we saw the girls on the side of the road, reading together. I couldn’t quite wrap my mind around how this could happen. But this time, I think that the SE ending is actually someone ELSE on the bus, with the driver telling the exact same story to this other person (he apparently tells it to everyone), and that this sequence takes place a short time after Emma has rescued Ella, and the bus driver has gone back to work. This would require though, that when the player character liberates the spirits down in the well, she doesn’t just free their spirits, she also restores them to life—which wasn’t made at all clear down in the well.

Re: locking Mrs. Henderson in the attic instead of Emma. Somehow I can’t see her staying in the attic the way Emma did. She would have figured (or magicked) her way out somehow and then Mr. Henderson would have found himself down the well.

Did anyone else watch the “making of” video in the Extras?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think the demon, if that’s what we want to call it, existed before Ella died. I also think that the demon found a vessel in Ella and fed on her rage. That may be pushing it a bit, because, after all, how much rage can a five-year-old girl have?

It’s also obvious that the well was no longer being used for that function. So it would make a perfect hiding place for whatever….demon, Ella’s spirit, captured people.

I also don’t recall any mention of Ella’s funeral. I’m surprised there wasn’t a family cemetery somewhere on the farm.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Agree re: the family cemetery. Though maybe we came across it and didn’t realize it. Maybe the land descended through Mrs. Henderson, who comes from a long line of witches and wizards, and the unidentified statues/people down in the well are her ancestors, whose bodies were buried/hidden down there because they terrified all the locals.

How’s that for completely fanciful thinking?  Laughing

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Position check!!

I know that I, Becky, Iznogood and furgotten have finished the game.

Lady K, crabapple and chrissie are MIA. i know that Lady K was having new Mac/old Mac issues. Hope they have been resolved. If you all could just post a quick note telling me where you are, that would be great. If, for whatever reason, you don’t think you will be able to finish the playthrough that’s fine. Life intervenes! I know it has happened to me on more than a few occasions.

Plus, if that’s the case, the others can finish up the conversations and move on to the next battle. Additionally, if you are going to finish but just don’t know when you will have a chance, the thread will remain open for you to report your progress and thoughts. I just won’t be pinned to the top of page one.

Let us know.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m sorry about not posting here, Tim, but I wasn’t sure what I’d be doing nor when.  As it is now, I won’t be able to play this for another two weeks or so, so don’t keep it pinned on my account.  I will play it on my own and add my two cents to the thread when I finish.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Boy can I appreciate that! And you’ve taken on the Saturday AGSotD.

I am curious what will happen when 31 May rolls around and those that committed for a year look for replacements.

I’ve started several AGCPTs and failed to finish them for any number of reasons.

Take your time.

My thoughts are conflicted regarding the next playthrough. There seem to be too many going on at the same time. If I view the front page correctly, there is this thread, the AGCPT thread, a Star Trek playthrough thread and a Space Quest thread going on at the same time. And I may have missed another.

Even though I think there are some great games to nominate for the next CCPT, I think we need to take a break in order to see how all of this plays out. Maybe TimovieMan can give us some advice.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 14 April 2016 04:38 PM

There’s something about the land around the farm and under the well—I think the black mist demon was there long before Ella—there are other human forms down there, much more incorporated into the earth than the elderly lady, policeman and bus driver that Ella managed to call to her. And the scarecrows and the corn are affected—after the bus driver jumps out the motel window, the corn grows suddenly to block our path. I wonder if the demon also caused the well cover to break when Ella was playing there in the first place, making her fall? And this raises the question—the black mist overpowers the player character early on—how does the player character manage to resist it?

My own take on this is quite a bit different.
IIRC there was no black mist and no indication that anything was wrong, before Ella died and Mrs. Henderson performed the black magic ritual, and children do occasionally simply fall down old wells or whatnot and die. So I believe it all started with Mrs. Henderson and her interrupted resurrection ritual.

As for the other stone figures in the well, then many people has gone missing in the 10 years or so, between the bonus chapter and the main game. We were able to save the most recent victims of Ella, the elderly lady, policeman and bus driver, but the rest of stone people was imo simply Ellas previous victims, that were too far gone to be saved. I also don’t see any reason to suspect that all the other supernatural elements like the scarecrow or the corn field, also shouldn’t be Ellas doing.

Becky - 14 April 2016 04:38 PM

As for the teddy bear, which is actually a stuffed rabbit—I think what brought Ella back to life wasn’t just the rabbit, but Emma’s willingness to set aside her fear and help the “little sister” who had been haunting her for years.

Okay, I simplified this a bit by focusing on the teddy rabbit and ignoring Emma, but it was still a somewhat disappointing ending for me - At least give us a proper exorcism with head spins and everything like this Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think it is fair to say that we need not put out thoughts about the game in spoiler tags. Most of what we are discussing was already discussed in the AGSotD thread.

Personal thoughts are that the “demon” or “black mist” or whatever you want to call it existed before Ella’s death. Ella’s death was an accident. Nothing more. Nothing less.

How Ella’s spirit existed after her death is still a mystery to me. Although I can certainly understand why it existed. She died and is now being replaced by someone else. She’s pissed off! And she wants to get even. Understandable.

As for Mrs Henderson…I don’t think she was into black magic from day one. But the concept of her daughter’s death was so overwhelming that she would resort to anything to bring her daughter back to life. Things just played out from there.

As far as the “dichotomy” I alluded to in the AGSotD thread, up until the very end of the basic game I think he is thought of as the bad guy. But, by the end of the bonus material we see him as the protector of the adopted daughter.

I must admit that after playing this several times to get ready for this playthrough I, too, am somewhat dissatisfied with the ending. Is Emma still alive? Mrs Henderson? was she absorbed into the black mist? If so, why didn’t we find her at the bottom of the well along with the other recently deceased?

All a bit confusing. But I like games that have us discussing what we think might have happened.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We are well past the 14+ days I originally allotted for the playthrough.

If there is anything left to discuss, let’s try to wrap it up by Wednesday the 20th. Don’t feel rushed. Just thinking we can clear the decks for whatever is coming next.

I think I mentioned in a reply to Lady K that there are at least five playthrough-oriented threads going on. This one, the regular AGCPT, a Star Wars playthrough and a Space Quest series playthrough. Plus the nominations/voting for the next AGCPT.

That’s a lot of playthrough “stuff” going on. And it seems as if the playing pool is drawn from the same 15-20 people. Five of those in the pool are currently doing double duty on the AGSotD. Time resources can start to run a little thin.

This is kind of a back door way of saying that I think we need to give the CCPT a good two-week rest before we even start the process again. Hopefully the “flash playthrough” fad will have tapered a bit.

Let me know what you think.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 15 April 2016 07:07 PM

the thread will remain open for you to report your progress and thoughts. I just won’t be pinned to the top of page one.

For an easy look-up, you can always find a link to the CPT in the Game recommendations and important/popular threads thread.

rtrooney - 15 April 2016 09:16 PM

Maybe TimovieMan can give us some advice.

Well, actually not that many forum members are involved in more than one of these CPTs, so there’s less of an issue there than you might think. But it is true that participation levels seem to be dropping a little, so maybe a small break is in order?

Or else it just appears that participation levels are low because my noisy self is sitting out??? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

A bit of a Casual CPT break sounds like a good idea. There’s always the Casual Games thread to post to for the interim—it’ll be a chance to catch up on some of the other casuals I’ve been meaning to play.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 18 April 2016 02:49 AM

Or else it just appears that participation levels are low because my noisy self is sitting out??? Tongue

If that’s the story you want to go with, have at it!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-03-27

PM

I haven’t played the game yet but now i will and thanks for the insight. Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top