• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiekanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #16 - Fright

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 29 March 2016 12:47 PM

It has a delightfully weird atmosphere, doesn’t it?

Indeed it does - and that is what I really like about this game.

I haven’t gotten the slightest idea of what is actually going on here?!?
I have always had a soft spot for games that just drop you in the middle of things without any kind of explanations, and then only slowly let you uncover what is actually going on. In fact so far it kind of reminds me of the good old 7th Guest, which is a good thing.

Anyway I have completed the first part, and will move on to the 2nd.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 29 March 2016 02:48 PM

Maybe I missed something but I finished this part being aware of only the one woman having a room & perhaps it was pre-arranged? I didn’t find any clues as to the motel not being full?

My answer was a little wrong!! As I’m playing the game a chapter or three ahead of everyone else, I tend to get ahead of myself when responding.

You will find that all the guest rooms are filled at the beginning of chapter two. Which is inconsistent with the No Vacancy reprimand in Chapter one.

You will also find out, in a big way, that the old lady is not related to the Motel in any way. Although she, like the bus driver, is certainly affected by some power residing in and around the Motel.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Also welcoming 123Pazu! Since you’ve also played the game with sufficient dexterity to post a YouTube video of your personal playthrough, I hope you will stick around and comment, as you see fit, on this playthrough of a great game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

rtrooney - 29 March 2016 02:28 PM

One of the inconsistencies I was talking about was you getting reprimanded by the Motel owner, and being told there are no rooms available. Then, at the end of this chapter everyone, except apparently you has a room.

I suspect that the Motel owner would have preferred that no one stay at the motel, but it became hard to turn everyone away when Hank had a broken leg and was in agony, and the collapse of the bridge on motel property had nearly led to the death of a woman and her baby, while making it difficult for anyone to leave. Which leads to the question—why didn’t the owner call an ambulance or the police? Because he had too much to hide?

Total Posts: 5814

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now reached the basement!

rtrooney - 29 March 2016 08:41 PM
chrissie - 29 March 2016 02:48 PM

Maybe I missed something but I finished this part being aware of only the one woman having a room & perhaps it was pre-arranged? I didn’t find any clues as to the motel not being full?

My answer was a little wrong!! As I’m playing the game a chapter or three ahead of everyone else, I tend to get ahead of myself when responding.

I completely sympathise Tim & think leading a CG playthrough is harder than most AG ones because of the save system & not being able to go back to replay parts without starting again.  Thumbs Up 123Pazu for producing a YT play through which helps a lot on back-tracking!

You will find that all the guest rooms are filled at the beginning of chapter two. Which is inconsistent with the No Vacancy reprimand in Chapter one.

Why would the No Vacancy reprimand be inconsistent if the guest rooms are filled at the beginning of Chapter 2? The guest book seems to be the same as in Chapter 1 & aah…perhaps there are clues in that worth checking out?

You will also find out, in a big way, that the old lady is not related to the Motel in any way. Although she, like the bus driver, is certainly affected by some power residing in and around the Motel.

Yes, but so far I’ve got no theories (but found yours interesting Becky) & like forgotten have got irritated by the ‘intrusion’ in the game when you pick up the dollar bills!  Laughing

So far I’m continuing to find the game interesting!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 30 March 2016 02:18 PM

Why would the No Vacancy reprimand be inconsistent if the guest rooms are filled at the beginning of Chapter 2? The guest book seems to be the same as in Chapter 1 & aah…perhaps there are clues in that worth checking out?

Because the rooms weren’t occupied when you were reprimanded, and they are now occupied by the old lady, woman and baby and bus driver. I like Becky’s theory about why they were allowed to stay, but anyone with a Jeep or Range Rover could navigate that dry riverbed and get the people safely to another location. The owner is between the proverbial rock and hard place. If he lets them stay, they might discover something. If he alerts the outside it might raise unwanted suspicion.

Edit: The other annoying thing I referred to which happens just before you enter the basement is your inability to simply pick up the inhaler and give it to the woman. No! You have to fiddle with the latch so the old lady can grab the inhaler, thus requiring you to go down in the basement to retrieve it!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have now also completed the second part, and have reached the basement.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m in the basement and I smell a rat.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Most people seem to have completed this section. For those that haven’t no need to worry. The basement section doesn’t start until tomorrow, Friday. And even though the section isn’t any longer, it is the weekend, so I’m giving everyone three days to complete it. I.e., you have until Sunday night to complete this section. I will post the next stop point on Sunday night as well.

Once you get out of the basement, there will be some things to do around the outside of the house. Your stop point, though, is when you are just about to actually enter the house for the first time. That will be when you get to this point, just outside the back window.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have now also completed this part - Actually I accidentally played a bit to far and have now also talked to Mrs. Henderson Meh I guess I should have double checked where the stopping point was.

Finding the girl locked in the attic was a bit of a surprise, but I’m still not convinced that the motel owner is the villain here. He obviously has secrets connected to his daughter perhaps? And acts like an antagonist, but there is equally obviously also something supernatural going on, so perhaps he is just doing whatever he can, or thinks he can, to keep everybody safe?

Either way, I love this game!
It has a spooky atmosphere with shadows behind curtains and whatnot, and when we check there is nothing to cast those shadows, it has flashbacks in the form of the photos, it has OK FMV, it has a story where only little is still revealed, and it has an excellent puzzle structure that doesn’t just rely on HO - Exactly my kind of Casual game, though perhaps a little bit to easy puzzlewise.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You all should have finished the basement by now, as well as having a chance to explore around the house. You are now ready to enter the house.

In my AGSOTD post regarding this game, I mentioned that there was actually some fear during the start of this episode. I.e., I actually was afraid of getting caught even though that fear was totally irrational.

I wonder how many players will get that same feeling. Anyway, you will start the House episode tomorrow, Monday and play until you find yourself at the base of the water tower. Stop there. The scene should look something like this.

Edit: I should have said that you have until Wednesday to get to this p[oint.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Something unexpected—the way the cornfield is growing right into the motel. The supernatural may come and go, but nature will ultimately have its way.

I also enjoyed the puzzle in this room—never thought my knowledge of western US states would be handy in a game.

I had forgotten the Wizard of Oz theme which actually fits in rather well. Is Oz influencing Kansas, instead of the other way around?

I just made it past the screenshot [spoiler]outside the kitchen window. Why does it feel so creepy to break into this house? Is it because the kitchen is so normal? (At first, anyway.)

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Made it to the water tower. The worst was the basement.I really, really did not want to go into that basement. Exploring it with a flashlight was really creepy. And why does no one ever keep gas in their generators?

The house was pretty easy but the exposure to the characters made it interesting. I was thinking about the timeline in case it was important. Ella disappeared in 1955 and this was just before her 7th birthday. It is currently 1965 according to Brenda’s prescription so Ella is 17 and apparently the motel has been going to seed for 10 years. It looks it.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve now reached the water tower.

I wonder if given the scuzzy water in the washing machine, maybe they haven’t done their laundry in ten years? That must be where the black mist originated. It’s mildew in aerosol form.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Becky - 05 April 2016 11:37 AM

I wonder if given the scuzzy water in the washing machine, maybe they haven’t done their laundry in ten years? That must be where the black mist originated. It’s mildew in aerosol form.

Snort! Good thought.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top