• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GirlbrushThreepWoodVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #16 - Fright

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Welcome. If you are interested in casual games, there is also a Casual Games thread where we discuss and review casual games. And, you might also be interested in the Adventure Game Scene of the Day series. Every Friday is “Casual Friday” where a scene from a casual game is shown and discussed.

I’m asking TimovieMan to unpin this thread whenever it’s convenient for him.

But, if you are going to play Fright, feel free to post your thoughts to this thread. The only thing thatchanges is that the thread will not be pinned to the top of page one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Now that the thread is unpinned, (thanks TimovieMan,) I want to thank everyone for an enjoyable playthrough.

It’s unfortunate that we lost a few people along the way. But, as I said earlier, sometimes life just gets in the way. I hope if you decide to finish you will dig out this thread and share your thoughts with the rest of us.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks Tim, and everyone for another fun CPT. I enjoyed playing the game again and understanding more the second time through.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Yeah, thanks for once again leading a playthrough Tim. I really enjoyed this one, even though quite a few seems to have been lost on the way.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Yeah, thanks from me too. I got a lot more out of it this time and enjoyed everyone’s input.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to keep up with the playthrough. I finally finished “Fright” a couple of days ago.

About the stone people in the cave down the well… I thought they were the old lady, the policeman, and the doctor—and that by giving each of them an object that had once belonged to them, you were freeing their spirits to move along to the next world rather than to return them to life. But how long were their spirits trapped in the cave? Was the bus driver under the evil influence as far back as the start of the game, before the bus crashed? If the old lady who got you the motel room was doing so under evil influence, why not also the bus driver?

I also thought both girls were dead by the end of the game, and what you saw was the spirits of the two girls playing together rather than the girls brought back to life. I assumed that Mrs. Henderson pushed the second girl down the well and killed her. Why? Who knows, but Mrs. Henderson was obviously nuts, and incompetant in spell-casting, so I could put it down to “why should you be alive when my real daughter isn’t.”

The ending of the main game confused me. When I saw the bus driver alive and well again, repeating his story, I wondered if the events of the main game were all a dream, and your character had fallen asleep while the bus driver was telling his story.

That corn sign was creepy. Really puts me off of ever eating corn again.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t know whether you read it or not, but the Fright playthrough thread is found here. There was a fair amount of disagreement regarding the bonus chapter meaning,

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 12 July 2016 11:26 PM

I don’t know whether you read it or not, but the Fright playthrough thread is found here.

Yes that’s this thread.
I read it after finishing the game, and thought I’d post my thoughts even though they’re not much different from other players.

There was a fair amount of disagreement regarding the bonus chapter meaning,

I think the game left some things open to interpretation.

I tend to think Mrs. Henderson was so grief-stricken over the death of Ella (and feeling guilty for not capping the well), that she resorted to black magic to try to resurrect her daughter. So the evil spirit wasn’t there, or at least wasn’t active before Mrs. Henderson summoned it.

I think the bonus game may have been to show how the evil spirit escaped control—that Mr. Henderson and the doctor buried that box, which was an important element of Mrs. Henderson’s containment spell, and that caused her to lose control over the evil spirit, which led to the spirit being freed and able to take control of Mrs. Henderson, Ella’s spirit, and other people in the area. So Mr. Henderson and the doctor inadvertently freed the evil spirit, despite that they were trying to do prevent evil.

Becky - 14 April 2016 04:38 PM

There’s something about the land around the farm and under the well—I think the black mist demon was there long before Ella—there are other human forms down there, much more incorporated into the earth than the elderly lady, policeman and bus driver that Ella managed to call to her.

If those really are human forms and not just creepy looking rocks, then maybe the evil spirit was there before. Maybe it was dormant until Mrs. Henderson awakened it. How long would the “human forms” have been there?
Was the farm built on top of an ancient Indian burial ground or something?
I don’t remember reading anything about that in the game but I might have missed or forgotten something.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 14 July 2016 06:41 PM

I don’t know whether you read it or not, but the Fright playthrough thread is found here.

Yes that’s this thread.

And, trust me I smacked myself the minute I posted that!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As for the other stuff. Again varying opinions. I thought he came off as a person to be feared in the basic game. Whatever happened must have been his fault. The bonus game gave us a totally different view of things.

I really liked this game, and thought the bonus material did exactly what bonus material ought to do. Give you a different perspective of the game you just played.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I agree. At first I thought the bonus was just a prequel, but it does give you more insight into Mr. Henderson’s point of view.

None of the people in the game was really “the bad guy” except maybe the evil spirit. Mr. Henderson was trying to protect his family. Mrs. Henderson wanted her daughter back. I think everyone in the town was affected by the evil spirit, though in different ways.

I’m still not sure whether the doctor, the policeman, the old lady, and Emma were dead or alive at the end of the game. It looked like Emma and Ella were either both dead or both alive at the end, and I don’t see how Ella would have been brought back to life. The bus driver seems to be alive, but is it really the same bus driver? If it’s the same bus driver, is there some sort of time loop caused by defeating the evil spirit or was it all a dream? The game leaves it up to the player to decide.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I think the game left some things open to interpretation

I tend to think Mrs. Henderson was so grief-stricken over the death of Ella (and feeling guilty for not capping the well), that she resorted to black magic to try to resurrect her daughter. So the evil spirit wasn’t there, or at least wasn’t active before Mrs. Henderson summoned it.

I think the bonus game may have been to show how the evil spirit escaped control—that Mr. Henderson and the doctor buried that box, which was an important element of Mrs. Henderson’s containment spell, and that caused her to lose control over the evil spirit, which led to the spirit being freed and able to take control of Mrs. Henderson, Ella’s spirit, and other people in the area. So Mr. Henderson and the doctor inadvertently freed the evil spirit, despite that they were trying to do prevent evil.

An intriguing interpretation. There is one point early on where the spirit/black mist actually enters us (the player character) and we don’t remember what happens for a while. Somehow the player character overcomes the spirit and regains consciousness. Not sure why that happens though, or why we are able to resist when others can’t.

Becky - 14 April 2016 04:38 PM

There’s something about the land around the farm and under the well—I think the black mist demon was there long before Ella—there are other human forms down there, much more incorporated into the earth than the elderly lady, policeman and bus driver that Ella managed to call to her.

If those really are human forms and not just creepy looking rocks, then maybe the evil spirit was there before. Maybe it was dormant until Mrs. Henderson awakened it. How long would the “human forms” have been there?
Was the farm built on top of an ancient Indian burial ground or something?
I don’t remember reading anything about that in the game but I might have missed or forgotten something.

I don’t remember it being a burial ground either, but that sure would make sense. Mrs. Henderson seems to know more about it than anyone else. Maybe she’s descended from the members of the tribe who are buried there?

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Becky - 16 July 2016 01:28 PM

There is one point early on where the spirit/black mist actually enters us (the player character) and we don’t remember what happens for a while.

Yes, What were we supposed to make of that?
What might our character have done while under the influence of the evil spirit?

Becky - 16 July 2016 01:28 PM

Somehow the player character overcomes the spirit and regains consciousness. Not sure why that happens though, or why we are able to resist when others can’t.

Maybe the evil spirit could only take over one person at a time, and it moved on to a more useful host.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I like the “one at a time” idea. Maybe the player character is such a blank slate that the spirit moves on and takes over someone more interesting. Or maybe the player character is everyone playing the game at the same time, and the spirit can’t compete with all the multiple personalities.

Crazy

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

If I ever replay the game, I’ll try to remember to check whether the evil spirit is ever in two places at once.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top