• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #6: Shadow of the Comet

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m actually enjoying reading this thread more than I did playing either this or Prisoner of Ice (despite PoI does have funny b-movie plot twist)

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Played a bit of day 2, up to the point where you find out the Hambletons’ backstory.

The day starts with the game’s most WTF puzzle. You want to develop your photos, and you need to use the right chemicals to do that. The character knows which ones to use, since he’s an amateur photographer, but how is the player supposed to? The info is not in the manual, and doesn’t seem to be in the game… Unless there’s a clue I (and every walkthrough writer) have missed, I can’t begin to imagine how the designers thought the players would figure this out. (The first time I played the game, I’m pretty sure I looked it up in an encyclopedia or something similar.)

Anyway, don’t bother trying to figure this out. (Although, if you feel like figuring it out yourself, you can try to start from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_processing.) The solution is: metol, hydroquinone, Sodium thiosulphate, potash metabisulfite.

But after that awful bit, I really liked what happened. The story’s moving fast (poor Jugg!), lots of reveals and tension, clearer objectives, and the gameplay makes more sense (despite some iffy stuff here and there).

Oh, one last bit of advice for later in day 2: Draw a map. You’ll know when. And you’ll thank me in the end.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

They actually really expected you to look it up from an encyclopedia.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Aaah you guys, this thread really got me in the mood for Shadow, so I’m watching (well, mostly listening to) a let’s play while I work, what a game! Poor guy playing it spent almost three hours wandering around until things finally started happening Laughing

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Well, I couldn’t resist, and I had to play Day 1 (sleep be damned), so that I can peek behind the spoiler tags after that, and find out what were you all talking about. Wink
I thought I didn’t remember much about the puzzles, but just enough memories came back to not get stuck anywhere for too long, and I finished it in 2 hours.

There are definitely a few bad design decisions here (the worst offender is the “use item on desk” thing), but it’s still a very immersive experience, and didn’t disappoint me so far. (Off: I was a little wary, because I played Kyrandia 1 again after 10+ years, and boy, that was a real letdown.)

Poor kid, that was the longest beating in history: first I tried to use one of the branches, then I tried to find the policeman (lol) before I finally spotted the bat.

I think it was kind of intuitive to hide behind the trees, but maybe that’s just my previous walkthrough talking, and I just remembered the solution subconsciously.
The running thing reminded me of a certain Broken Sword puzzle (you all know which one I’m talking about Tongue), but in this case there’s no harm done, because you don’t need to know the fact that Parker can run to solve the “puzzle”.

Has anyone experienced the Coldstone error? I agreed to join him (wanted to see how he kills me), but the game basically froze after that, both characters stuck in the right corner of the screen, and the only thing I could do was load a save.

Btw thanks for the tip about the houses, Kurufinwe, it was useful.

Oh, and a little tip of my own for those who haven’t started yet: if you see the two men near the fence, SAVE.
Minor spoiler: it’s very easy to die even if you don’t try to go in on purpose again. Happened to me twice Grin, and lost some progress the first time around.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Kurufinwe - 21 February 2016 05:59 AM

OK, zane, I’ve reached the point you’re at. A
By the way, I HATE games that do that (not letting you pick up items until you “know” you need them). Ugh.

That was okay imho, because Parker said something like [spoiler]“I leave them here for now” before, and it’s actually more realistic than carrying around items just for the sake of it.
(Okay, I have to admit, the writers weren’t consistent at all in that regard, because… 3 branches + 1 creeper, for example. Grin That’s some funny stuff to carry around.)[/spoiler]

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I had some time to spend on the game this morning & have not really progressed that far! My concentration is not very good at the mo, I’m still early on in Day 1, not grabbed enough for a marathon so far & just playing a little here & there trying to avoid looking as much as I can (but needing to occasionally) at the 2 walkthroughs I’ve just printed off! I’m very open-minded about the game so far & some of the characters that are obviously based on actors are driving me mad as I can’t think who they are!  Smile

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

cirroid - 22 February 2016 09:07 AM

I think it was kind of intuitive to hide behind the trees, but maybe that’s just my previous walkthrough talking, and I just remembered the solution subconsciously.
The running thing reminded me of a certain Broken Sword puzzle (you all know which one I’m talking about Tongue), but in this case there’s no harm done, because you don’t need to know the fact that Parker can run to solve the “puzzle”.

[/spoiler]

Not intuitive at all in my opinion. The game doesn’t foreshadow(tutorial) in any way or gives the impression that there will be QTE’s. Also, the situation in where you have to press a key looks like a cutscene. Hard to figure out it’s interactive.
By the nature of the game it just leaves you thinking that you missed an item or forgot to do something.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I felt the same. I mean, he’s standing there in plain sight like a moron. Of course you want him to hide! But as you said, that might be a vague memory of an earlier playthrough talking.

cirroid - 22 February 2016 09:23 AM
Kurufinwe - 21 February 2016 05:59 AM

OK, zane, I’ve reached the point you’re at. A
By the way, I HATE games that do that (not letting you pick up items until you “know” you need them). Ugh.

That was okay imho, because Parker said something like [spoiler]“I leave them here for now” before, and it’s actually more realistic than carrying around items just for the sake of it.
(Okay, I have to admit, the writers weren’t consistent at all in that regard, because… 3 branches + 1 creeper, for example. Grin That’s some funny stuff to carry around.)[/spoiler]

I didn’t mind leaving the Boleskine stuff in the chest, because the game reminds you of it. The rubbing alcohol in the drawer, on the other hand, bothered me quite a bit.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oh, and a little tip of my own for those who haven’t started yet: if you see the two men near the fence, SAVE.
Minor spoiler: it’s very easy to die even if you don’t try to go in on purpose again. Happened to me twice Grin, and lost some progress the first time around.

That’s when I learned the hard way that this town means business… -Don’t come near! Surely nothing will happen if I walk a bit mor… BOOM

About the QTE event, I surely won’t forget the frustration so I’m sure memory plays a part in here Smile

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Ah yes that scene by the fence is when i first learned death exists in this game. Granted, it should probably be assumed in a lovecraft setting. Would a call of cthulhu game without death really be a call of cthulhu game ? Wink

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I solved the photos puzzles, I now know more about Photography processing than I ever cared to learn. Thanks wikipedia! (actually it was pretty fun, I saw the link Kurufinwe shared and googled all the components after) I do wonder how this was solved in 1993 if you didn’t have an encyclopedia Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The design of the game is sometimes hilarious. Just went through the part in Jugg’s house (after getting the photos) and solving the puzzle to open the secret passage (cool puzzle). When Jugg is dying you can just hang around, read some books, go out and only after that give him the note so him can finally die. All that after he says there is no time to call a doctor Smile

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

wilco - 22 February 2016 06:22 PM

The design of the game is sometimes hilarious. Just went through the part in Jugg’s house (after getting the photos) and solving the puzzle to open the secret passage (cool puzzle). When Jugg is dying you can just hang around, read some books, go out and only after that give him the note so him can finally die. All that after he says there is no time to call a doctor Smile

you keep mirroring me! i just came here to post about the same thing Tongue
Parker just goes about his business looking at books and commenting about bindings being odd with a guy bleeding in the middle of the floor Grin

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

For the past hour I’ve been wrestling with maps and cotton and crosses and stuff. Couldn’t do it. Resorted to a WT. Oh, so I had to put the thing on another thing before I could apply something to that thing. Sorry, but I’ve had it with the awkward gameplay of this game. Not a good idea to play an ancient one after The Witness.

Have fun! Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top