• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #6: Shadow of the Comet

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 22 February 2016 08:07 PM

For the past hour I’ve been wrestling with maps and cotton and crosses and stuff. Couldn’t do it. Resorted to a WT. Oh, so I had to put the thing on another thing before I could apply something to that thing. Sorry, but I’ve had it with the awkward gameplay of this game. Not a good idea to play an ancient one after The Witness.

Have fun! Smile

Save yourself while you still can, I’m going crazy Tongue

Just kidding, day 2 has been great, good pacing and puzzles with lots of revelations.  But I’m stuck again, now at the top of the lighthouse. Only possible action is putting on the wings and jumping to my death…. Is it another QTE?

Edit: Wait, I got it! Is it me or that was a really random chain of events?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hmm well i cant help but feel like i hit a bug somehow.. even though its probably just bad design…
i got the postal deposit slip from the safe, but i cant talk to the lady at the post office or present the slip to her.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

ok yep apparently i have discovered a show-stopping bug. Luckily i didnt trust this game one bit and i had many back-up saves, one of which was before i entered the mayors office. Iv replicated it and it seems to be: if you leave the office without reading the diary, it permanently breaks the interaction with the post office lady, even if you go back into the office and read the diary.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

What I’ve always found the most interesting about the design of SotC is the devs decision to use the control mechanics they did. It came out in 1993 and by then mouse driven interfaces had already emerged in all kinds of shapes and forms. The decision to go fully keyboard driven just kinda feels like a stubborn idea or a design choice done by people who didn’t really have that much insight on the industry around them.

Or maybe they just used an engine, where a mouse wasn’t an option.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Definitely Vincent Price:

Either that guy from Beetlejuice:

Or Paul Sorvino:

Jack Nicholson and Melanie Griffith are also very obvious.
Any others?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think that second guy might be Tor Johnson, of Ed Wood movies fame.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 23 February 2016 03:31 AM

Any others?

Yes! Some more:

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 23 February 2016 02:58 AM

What I’ve always found the most interesting about the design of SotC is the devs decision to use the control mechanics they did. It came out in 1993 and by then mouse driven interfaces had already emerged in all kinds of shapes and forms. The decision to go fully keyboard driven just kinda feels like a stubborn idea or a design choice done by people who didn’t really have that much insight on the industry around them.

Or maybe they just used an engine, where a mouse wasn’t an option.

Could be that, the engine they had might have not supported mouse at the time.
I’m used to the direct control by now, what I find mostly annoying with the lack of descriptions. The look command seems so limited and even objects you can interact with inventory items don’t have any indication. Not sure why they limited that white line to objects to pick up.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The third one from the top looks like Robert Mitchum.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 22 February 2016 08:37 PM

Just kidding, day 2 has been great, good pacing and puzzles with lots of revelations.  But I’m stuck again, now at the top of the lighthouse. Only possible action is putting on the wings and jumping to my death…. Is it another QTE?

Edit: Wait, I got it! Is it me or that was a really random chain of events?

Honestly, nothing about the lighthouse made much sense. What was Parker even hoping to accomplish there? For that matter, why is the cult guarding the place? Protecting the sacred wings of Cthulhu???

It feels like the game had bigger plans for it originally (was it supposed to be the cult’s secret base?), and ended up cutting most of it, leaving a sequence that made very little sense.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

We are not the only ones trying to figure out the actors:
http://www.weirdretro.org.uk/shadow-of-the-comet-spot-the-famous-actors-faces.html

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Either Webster’s Alex Karras or an Addams Family-era John Astin, imo.

Could be Roddy McDowell in Fright Night:

Robert Mitchum with a weird growth on his chin:

Lillian Gish:

Game’s too old for this to be a Scottified Colin Farrell. Tongue

Looks a bit like Michelle Pfeiffer.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 23 February 2016 06:29 AM

Honestly, nothing about the lighthouse made much sense. What was Parker even hoping to accomplish there? For that matter, why is the cult guarding the place? Protecting the sacred wings of Cthulhu???

It feels like the game had bigger plans for it originally (was it supposed to be the cult’s secret base?), and ended up cutting most of it, leaving a sequence that made very little sense.

I wasn’t even sure why the game was pointing me to the lighthouse. I just thought of going there when I got the disguise. At that point I was stuck trying to open the JH carved wood in the abandoned house fireplace thinking it was Jonas Hanbleton resting place. He didn’t achieve anything except flying to the gypsies…. Does seem like something was cut. I’m in the cemetery now. The atmosphere in there is great and the close-ups of Mr. Parker reflects that he is going insane. Nice detail.

TimovieMan - 23 February 2016 06:54 AM

Game’s too old for this to be a Scottified Colin Farrell. Tongue

The link tomint shared says he might be Sean Connery but I’m not seeing it.
The nurse seems like a classic Hollywood diva but I don’t really know who could be.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

TimovieMan - 23 February 2016 06:54 AM

Could be Roddy McDowell in Fright Night:

I was convinced that was Mel Gibson. Huh.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Not playing this right now but I’m reminded by how gorgeous it is. I love how the splashes of vivid color are confined to particular spaces, it’s a little bit unreal and nauseating in a good way. Also the extreme closeups add to the claustrophobic atmosphere. Proof that a game can still look normal/conventional while having a completely unique style.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top