• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #6: Shadow of the Comet

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hmm.. is there a way to look at objects in your inventory? I havnt found a way to and sometimes i pick up things that im not entirely sure what they are… for example what is a creeper? a bug? a plant? The picture of it is just this pixelated mess and the character didnt say anything when picking it up.
I feel like iv made a little progress, but im not sure how long i will last without a walkthrough, blundering around town repeatedly with this awful interface Tongue

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 20 February 2016 05:32 PM

I really like the close up faces

Supposedly most of them are famous actors from horror movies or somesuch. I’m no expert. Someone should take screenshots and badger Timovieman until he identifies all of them for us. Tongue

zane - 20 February 2016 05:35 PM

hmm.. is there a way to look at objects in your inventory? I havnt found a way to and sometimes i pick up things that im not entirely sure what they are… for example what is a creeper? a bug? a plant? The picture of it is just this pixelated mess and the character didnt say anything when picking it up.

Sometimes you can try using the object (on nothing). But generally, you can’t look at your inventory.

As for your specific question: If I remember correctly, it’s a Virginia creeper, i.e. a vine.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There’s at least Jack Nicholson and Vincent Price there. Though they’re not exactly 1:1 portraits. It’s more like heavily inspired by.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

wilco - 20 February 2016 05:09 PM
zane - 20 February 2016 03:32 PM
Origami - 20 February 2016 10:57 AM

But this game is undoable without a walkthrough lol.

i plan to put that to the full test Tongue
im not going to use a walkthrough unless on the verge of quitting.

iv played for about an hour and so far (controls aside) its a pleasant surprise. I wasnt even aware this is voiced. My biggest complaint so far is the awkward pauses at the end of every dialogue… i can press enter to advance them forward.. but this frequently results in accidentally skipping over the next dialogue. Any tricks for improving this?

Also have this and speech seems to go faster than the text, trying to find some way to make this better. Found this on the gog forums but not been able to fix it yet.

There is a way to improve this without configuring anything outside of the game or downloading a patch or fix.
Go to options and increase the game speed. Yes, the whole game will go faster(faster walking but this is a huge plus as well) including the dialogue. Speech and text are still not completely synced but I don’t think it poses a big issue.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 February 2016 05:41 PM
wilco - 20 February 2016 05:32 PM

I really like the close up faces

Supposedly most of them are famous actors from horror movies or somesuch. I’m no expert. Someone should take screenshots and badger Timovieman until he identifies all of them for us. Tongue

Alright, challenge within the challenge, guess the actor Smile

@Origami
Thanks, going to try that later

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Origami - 20 February 2016 06:25 PM

There is a way to improve this without configuring anything outside of the game or downloading a patch or fix.
Go to options and increase the game speed. Yes, the whole game will go faster(faster walking but this is a huge plus as well) including the dialogue. Speech and text are still not completely synced but I don’t think it poses a big issue.

i did suspect this and maxed game speed out, and while it seemed to be a noticeable improvement, it doesnt bug me much less, still never know when a segment is going to flow immediately and when there are still awkward pauses.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

@Zane

I am really curious how you will progress through the game. Hope to see some log posts on your progress. Go for it and prove me wrong.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Excellent, I was just thinking about playing Shadow of the Comet.

Hello, I’m new here btw Smile, did some lurking before, but this is my first real post.

I played this game as a kid, and it was one of my favorites. As far as I can remember I didn’t look up any walkthroughs, but yeah, this one is hard, I definitely sank a lot of hours in it.

I’m not sure that the 8 days is doable for me (want to finish Chains of Satinav first), but I’ll try!

zane - 20 February 2016 03:32 PM

i can press enter to advance them forward.. but this frequently results in accidentally skipping over the next dialogue. Any tricks for improving this?

I found a solution… kinda. You have to use the floppy version. (Changing the setting to text only in the CD version is not enough.)
It’s better for me anyway, because the dialogue + subtitles are out of sync all the time, and that little yellow arrow for the joke mouse support is annoying too. Tongue

The problem was, I had the game only on steam, and didn’t know how to start the floppy version there (not sure if it’s even possible, even though the description mentions it), so I purchased it on GOG as well.
Unfortunately, as someone mentioned, it’s slower than the steam version, but it’s still the best solution for me so far.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

my patience is running on empty Tongue
Im probably going to suffer some more with this stuff without reading spoilers, and then either look it up or just stop playing. But heres where im at…

i spoke up for the gypsys, it seems like they would probably help me find the Calvary in the forest, but i cant seem to find the gypsys anywhere after they were chased out of the square.. i wouldv assumed theyd be in a clearing on the edge of town.

i used the magnifying glass on the rifle.. kind of bumped into that one.. but am not finding any leads with what to do with that info.. cant seem to research it around town hall.

i found boleskin’s guide and hes kicked me out and nothing else to do there it seems

i got the photo plates, seems like nothing to do with those until its night.

the other lead the guide mentioned was a cross, presumably something to do with the cemetery, and havnt found a way inside of it.

i tried using the rope ladder with the well (no specific reason that i know of to go into the well), but confusingly it says the rope ladder is too short but theres rungs to climb down the well anyway… and then there doesnt seem to be any way for me to start climbing down.

Also seemed like the historian was telling me there was a room with local history, but i could not move into it. Once he left now when i try and move in the upper corner it tells me “its closed.” I do not enjoy the navigation Tongue

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m at some point in day 1 and enjoying exploring the town and meeting the people. You can see that something is weird, but it’s not clear what exactly.

Pro-tip: This must be the 4th time I’m playing the game, but I’ve just discovered that you can look at houses to find out who lives there… This is particularly useful since I’ve decided to play the floppy version, which doesn’t have the map. So I’ve printed the one from the CD version and I’m filling it in by hand.

@zane: You’re a bit further than I am, so I can’t offer a hint just yet. Make sure to look at your journal; it usually says what you’re supposed to focus on next.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

OK, zane, I’ve reached the point you’re at. A few (increasingly spoilery) hints, if you want them:

1: Your diary tells you what to do next.

2: You need to find the cross on YOUR map.

3: Go back to your room, and search everything again. You should be able to take a few items which will allow you to find the location.

By the way, I HATE games that do that (not letting you pick up items until you “know” you need them). Ugh.

(Also, at this point, you should have found 3 branches and the creeper in the forest.)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

cirroid - 20 February 2016 07:49 PM

Excellent, I was just thinking about playing Shadow of the Comet.

Hello, I’m new here btw Smile, did some lurking before, but this is my first real post.

I played this game as a kid, and it was one of my favorites. As far as I can remember I didn’t look up any walkthroughs, but yeah, this one is hard, I definitely sank a lot of hours in it.

I’m not sure that the 8 days is doable for me (want to finish Chains of Satinav first), but I’ll try!

Welcome to the challenge (and the forums). Don’t be to hang up in the deadline and just have fun.

I think I’m done with exploring the town and have to go in the forest now. This is no string of pearls Smile . Lots of creepy people to meet.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Alright, done with day 1! It was generally fun, and did a pretty good job of setting the stage and making you feel that something bad is going on. (The various occasions during which town citizens end up killing you certainly reinforces the point.) And if you’ve already played the game and know what this is about, there’s lots of little details to notice, like who’s going where and meeting with whom.

Another bit of iffy design to end the day: the cat that magically appears to lead you to the stone circle, but only once you’ve taken the photos. Events magically triggering in another location is bad design. The game could at least have prevented you from leaving the area before witnessing the ceremony, but it doesn’t do that and you might end up running in circles in town for hours with no idea what it wants you to do next.

I don’t think Shadow of the Comet is hard; it’s just very poorly designed at times, which is not the same thing. It’s particularly bad at telling you what your current objective is, although the journal helps a bit. But I’m pretty sure there were also some good puzzles, especially on day 2.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m already running around in circles.  Thumbs Up How can I find out what I need to find out at the town hall when all I get is the message that I can’t search the room when that guy Judd is present?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 21 February 2016 10:54 AM

I’m already running around in circles.  Thumbs Up How can I find out what I need to find out at the town hall when all I get is the message that I can’t search the room when that guy Judd is present?

There is a small book sitting on the table on the right side

I’m stuck in the same place zane is… I have the map but no idea what to do with it

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top