• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #6: Shadow of the Comet

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

With all due respect Cirroid,

Either you are lying, or you are the luckiest person on this planet.

EDIT: owh…this wasn’t your first playthrough. Explains it then I guess.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 25 February 2016 06:41 PM

Congratulations cirroid! You know what this means, right?

Black Dahlia. Or Schizm. Grin

(I see you.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

ahhh yes… this game….. stuck again at last Tongue
i managed to destroy 3 of the 4 families.. and somehow i focused on the cat and managed to use the fish to distract the remaining people to get inside. But alas, once inside i repeatedly meet my doom thanks to some kind of studded hammock.
poor poor poor poor poor poor poor parker

EDIT: i got by it. but why the hammock of doom only falls on me when i press look, i will never know.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Thanks, guys!
Even though I only had vague memories of my first playthrough, they helped a lot, to be honest. And I still needed some lucky moments to finish the game.

Not really. Smile Sorry, I’m new here.
EDIT: okay, did some digging on the forum. Wink I think you or zane would deserve it more, since it’s your first playthrough, so feel free to choose the next game instead of me! (But if you are insisting, I’ll come up with something.)

Origami - 25 February 2016 08:15 PM

EDIT: owh…this wasn’t your first playthrough. Explains it then I guess.

To be fair, I didn’t use any hints back then either as far as I can remember, but it took me much much longer than this time, that’s for sure.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

cirroid - 25 February 2016 06:41 PM

Not really. Smile Sorry, I’m new here.

My fault I didn’t explain in the first post. The “diego rulebook” Smile to the challenges states that
- “The winner of the challenge shall chose the next game when the deadline is over”

zane - 25 February 2016 10:19 PM

ahhh yes… this game….. stuck again at last Tongue
i managed to destroy 3 of the 4 families.. and somehow i focused on the cat and managed to use the fish to distract the remaining people to get inside. But alas, once inside i repeatedly meet my doom thanks to some kind of studded hammock.
poor poor poor poor poor poor poor parker

EDIT: i got by it. but why the hammock of doom only falls on me when i press look, i will never know.

Same thing happened to me, nothing in that house of traps made sense Meh

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Again, I must applaud to anyone who’s managed to complete SotC without using a walkthrough. It’s the kind of a game that makes me look at one just to get it over with.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

And done!

God, that was awful. Day 3 of Shadow of the Comet is a masterclass in how not to design an adventure game: constant trial and error, random deaths, cryptic clues that only appear once, puzzles that make no sense whatsoever, a tedious conversation puzzle, followed by a tedious slider puzzle, followed by a tedious action sequence…

The worst offender is definitely, as cirroid said, the thing with the acid (I mean… Seriously? How is anyone supposed to get that, short of trying every item they have on everything out of desperation?) The final puzzle actually kinda makes sense if you’ve read the book (and written down the instructions). Needless to say, it went completely above my head on my first playthrough.

Day 2 was great, and it’s what most people remember from the game. But the awful design in the rest of the game shouldn’t be given a free pass. Nor should players let themselves be bullied into thinking that they were just too dumb to solve the puzzles themselves—many of them were not hard, just bad. I realize that, for all its strengths, Shadow of the Comet is a game I couldn’t really recommend to anyone—at least not without some huge caveats.

(If you liked the puzzle design in Shadow of the Comet, may I recommend Eternam, from the same people? Same interface, same extremely-uneven puzzle design, but a completely different atmosphere! Buy Eternam today! (And then get your head checked, because clearly you’re some sort of psychopath.))

Anyway, glad to have taken part in the playthrough. I’m looking forward to wilco and zane’s comments on the rest of the game, and then to the next challenge. Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just stumbled upon this today: http://callofcthulhu-game.com/
Maybe we’ll finally get a tad better take on Lovecraft this time.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 26 February 2016 11:36 AM

I just stumbled upon this today: http://callofcthulhu-game.com/
Maybe we’ll finally get a tad better take on Lovecraft this time.

That’s the game Cyanide is developing (I think Frogwares was working on it before, or maybe it was another?). According to the developers its a “RPG-Investigation game with psychological horror and stealth mechanics”. Not sure how it will play but could be interesting.

I’m currently stuck in Shadow of the Comet after talking to the Indian, I’m a bit confused in what I’m supposed to be doing inside the well

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 26 February 2016 02:05 PM

I’m currently stuck in Shadow of the Comet after talking to the Indian, I’m a bit confused in what I’m supposed to be doing inside the well

You might want to thoroughly explore the room between the room with the cans and Narackawhatever’s lair… Also bear in mind what the non-evil Indian said.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ok, got that one, must keep always remembering stuff is mostly in area it’s needed…

I got to the island now. That dialogue puzzle to get the boat was so annoying! Not just the fact that you had to leave the scene to restart but also it all felt so random with weird answers… The mayor office one at least made some sense

Edit: Oh, there’s the slider puzzle Shifty Eyed

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the game now!

First things first the slider puzzle

No patience for those, looked up the solution after a couple of tries.

After that it was much more entertaining, the final confrontations were all pretty good, of course I had the tip of making note of everything said, so couple more hundred “poor Parkers” and I got through them.
In the first, I’m not sure why the ruby was the selected stone but had a “Aha!” moment when I saw the correct star on the floor and tried the aquamarine

The second one I hit a bug because when I saw the lmap run out of oil and returned to get more naphtha I couldn’t get back so I had to reload a previous save. The acid puzzle I was there a place in the floor that you couldn’t get over and tried a bunch of objects.

The final confrontation was ok, still don’t know why the notebook couldn’t have the stuff in the magic book but I had it written down so it was doable

The death animations were pretty good, I actually died on purpose in the monsters in the cave to see the cool close-ups.

So anyway, very good game BUT very frustrating in some points. kind of reminds me of playing Mean Streets some time ago. Design problems can make it hard to play but very rewarding to struggle through its problems, specially with the help and tips of community members Smile
This one was definitely way way harder than I thought it would be, took me 20h according to the gog timer.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Congrats, wilco!

“so couple more hundred “poor Parkers””
Grin Grin

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Congratulations wilco!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Congratulations to all the finishers!
Im going to make one more attempt to will myself through this game but at this point iv lost my patience and resolve to get through day 3. All puzzle solving seems to have boiled down to: mash the look button, and cycle through inventory until something happens. Im also just not terribly intrigued by the story anymore. And the main character probably shouldv just lost his mind already. Poooooor parker.

EDIT: i just killed narackamous, and when bolskine says “i will help you twice more” my out loud reaction was “nooooooooooooooooooooo” i wanted this game to end nowwww Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top