• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

luckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #13 - Lost Lands - The Four Horsemen

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The idea is to stop as soon as we’re out of the caves, I take it?

I’m out. Took me about an hour and a half or so, I think (not sure, there were interruptions as usual).

Great cutscene with the fighting horsemen. A pity that we don’t get to fight them ourselves (or at least take them on more directly). This way felt a little like a deus ex machina solution which is not always a good thing.

A lot of variety in the puzzles, though, and so very very few HO scenes (that can be hardly called that in the first place, imo). Fun game! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Yes! you assembled the ladder and found the opening to fresh air. I assume you saw my note to Sefir. We’re going to take a little break and, hopefully. resume on Wednesday when everybody has caught up.

Plus it might let me get in a little catch-up time with ASA and pre-plan for the next AGSotD.

Plus you get to relax and do nothing but domestic chores!  Smile  Ha! like that’s going to happen.

Tim

Edit: Actually the cutscene “I” thought was the good one was riding the jet train through the caves. Reminded me of Temple of Doom, but with a lot less violence.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I’m out of the caves. Love the game but I had to turn off the sound because of the dwarf. That has got to be one of the worst ideas in casual gaming history.

I’m interested in an expert persons opinion of the voices. I hardly qualify in that area but I’m curious about the dwarf’s voice.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Although better known for the Indy movies, it reminded me of John Rhys Davies, who not only played a dwarf in several of the Hobbit movies, but also in Snow White movie that starred Kristen Stewart and Charlese Theron. Thus, I thought it was a good dwarf voice. A little louder than the other voices, perhaps. But that’s the fault of the game’s sound mixer. Not the fault of the voice actor.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I thought it seemed Irish with a Cockney twist. I frequently get that kind of thing wrong though. What I didn’t like about the dwarf is that he never shuts up and gives you all the information so you don’t have to think about anything. Like audio sparkles.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Just managed to fix the ladder and exit the tunnels.
Nice cutscene to finish the chapter.
The mountain god is a badass. Naughty

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 26 October 2015 10:30 PM

I thought it seemed Irish with a Cockney twist. I frequently get that kind of thing wrong though. What I didn’t like about the dwarf is that he never shuts up and gives you all the information so you don’t have to think about anything. Like audio sparkles.

Another dwarf in both Snow White and LotR was the late Bob Hoskins, who’s accent is a little closer to what you describe.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Actually, John Rhys-Davies (who more or less set down the ultimate dwarf performance as Gimli in LotR) was not in the Hobbit movies and not in the Snow White movie(s). While he enjoyed taking part of LotR, filming was hell for him because he had a severe allergic reaction to his prostethic makeup. He always said he loved the role, but wouldn’t ever reprise it again. Or it’d have to be voice work (he was Treebeard as well).

The late great Bob Hoskins WAS in Snow White, but not any of the LotR or Hobbit films.

I agree that he has a very fitting voice to play a dwarf, though. And Rhys-Davies was just perfect.

For an overly Scottish dwarf, the talented Billy Connolly has a perfect voice as well. Hence his part in the last Hobbit movie. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I know this borders on sacrilegious, but I don’t differentiate the Hobbit and LotT movies. They all blend together to me. So when I think of Rhys-Davies in Hobbit movies it doesn’t matter to me if he only appeared in one of the six. I could have sworn Hoskins was in a Hobbit/LotR movie. But if it was only Snow White, I’ll pat myself on the back for being half-right. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! Tomorrow is the day when we should be moving on to our next episode. So far I think Sefir, Other Tim, furgotten and RebKean have checked in as finished. We’re missing Becky and a heads up from Iznogood. If I’ve missed anybody, please check in and let me know where you are.

If I don’t hear from anybody, including any lurkers that might be playing along, I will give the go-ahead with end point sometime tomorrow afternoon, my time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

I wasn’t out of the caves, but I am now.
And thanks for reminding me about the maps, it was alot more difficult before.  Tongue

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Okay I have caught up with the rest of you now, and have just left the tunnels.

Now I just need to read all the posts here, before I write my impressions of the game so far.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

And on we go!

This is where we will stop.

It should look familiar. You can’t see it in this screenshot, but this is the location of the Fire & Ice statue. I’m sure you explored it when you were first here, including looking at this chest. But when you saw it then, you didn’t have the key. Now you do. You can open the chest if you want, but don’t go any farther.

If you’re fast, you might be able to finish this episode in about an hour. If you’re taking your time and enjoying the scenery, it might take you 1.5 hours, or maybe even a bit longer. Plus we have the weekend coming up, so I’m setting Saturday as the deadline for this episode.

You will be visiting a few new locations, and most, but not all of your travels will be above ground. You will be making good use of your map during this episode as well,

Safe travels everyone!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

And time for a few comments about the game so far.

1) I find it to be extremely easy!
I only think it took me about 2 hours to catch up, and there haven’t been a single puzzle so far that has given me any challenge whatsoever. There might have been a couple of puzzles that took a few minutes to solve, but only because they required a lot of steps, not because I was ever in the slightest doubt about how to solve them.

I’m a it disappointed that it is so easy.

2) Storywise, I’m not so sure.
There is I guess, as such nothing wrong with the story, but I lack a good reason for why the protagonist has gotten involved in this story. Yes, I know, the hermit prayed for someone who would be able to defeat the horsemen, and she was magically transferred to this realm, but why exactly her and not somebody or anybody else? What makes the protagonist the right person for the job? So far we haven’t meet any challenges that anybody couldn’t handle, in fact I don’t understand why the hermit, or the dwarf just doesn’t handle this themselves?!?

I the other games we have played in these CPT, there has always been a good reason for why and how the protagonist got involved in the story, like that they have special powers, are a famous detective or simply happened to crash their car at the wrong place and time, but here it seems like the protagonist is just some arbitrary person - I don’t like that!

TimovieMan - 21 October 2015 02:55 AM

I like how we’re obviously wearing our modern day clothes in the cutscenes. Makes for a nice contrast, and reminds us that we’re basically a fish out of water. It also makes me think of ‘Crusade in Jeans’, which is one of the more famous/popular Dutch children’s books (nearly everyone in my general age bracket has read it in their early teens).

He, I remember that book, I also read it as a child - Still I’m not sure it is a good comparison as it wasn’t a fantasy setting but a historical setting.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Iznogood - 28 October 2015 04:02 PM

And time for a few comments about the game so far.
2) Storywise, I’m not so sure.
There is I guess, as such nothing wrong with the story, but I lack a good reason for why the protagonist has gotten involved in this story. Yes, I know, the hermit prayed for someone who would be able to defeat the horsemen, and she was magically transferred to this realm, but why exactly her and not somebody or anybody else? What makes the protagonist the right person for the job? So far we haven’t meet any challenges that anybody couldn’t handle, in fact I don’t understand why the hermit, or the dwarf just doesn’t handle this themselves?!?

The only reason really is that she has done this kind of thing before in Lost Lands: Dark Overlord where she had to rescue her son. Not a compelling reason I admit, but she has apparently become this universe’s go-to portal hopper.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top