• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any news of Bracken Tor or The Last Crown?

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2016-08-02

PM

Hi, long time lurker here. I’ve been patiently waiting for this game for years. What’s up with this Boakes fella? I mean, I am happy to wait for a game, and god knows this has been a few years but this guy keeps changing his story. Last year, around Halloween, he gave the impression the game was finished but they decided not to release it as, in his words, Halloween was the “season of bundles and sales”. Then it pushed to be December release, then new year, then radio silence for months and suddenly it’s “work is continuing” and back to no firm release date. I’m really confused now. I just wish he would be honest with where he is on this project. Surely he knows if his own game is finished or not?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Here’s the full text of his last post on Facebook:

Hello, work is continuing on finishing The Last Crown Blackenrock for release later this year, as soon as possible!

Blackenrock throws ghost hunter Nigel and companion Lucy into a collection of story’s to unravel and investigate, with each providing clues to .... Well… can’t tell you that.

Unanswered questions and continued story themes from The Lost Crown and Midnight Horror sit amongst the many new interwoven threads that make up the world of Saxton and its surroundings. A world rich in legends and mystery.

Blackenrock will be released as digital download and hard copy boxed version.

Blackenrock will be released in English in both 16:9 widescreen and 4:3 HD+.

The extra HD details allows for even more to be included in each screen, and with 2 formats the interactive world and puzzles are programmed twice. Midnight Horror took a month to add the widescreen support to a few 100 screens, and so we are constant working on the tens of thousands that make up Blackenrock.

Hopefully it won’t be too long before the fog shrouded world of Saxton welcomes you all once more.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It’s so confusing now, it’s almost ridiculous.

I now have no idea what the order of TLC releases is, what actually has been released and what hasn’t. At first it was simple, there was The Last Crown which hadn’t come out yet and now we have a multitude of games in the series. I’m truly lost.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Karlok, which one of his many Facebook accounts do you read? I looked for him under Jonathan Boakes, The Last Crown, Darkling Room and The Lost Crown but those accounts either don’t exist or haven’t been updated since 2014.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Karlok - 02 August 2016 07:06 AM

Here’s the full text of his last post on Facebook:

8<

The extra HD details allows for even more to be included in each screen, and with 2 formats the interactive world and puzzles are programmed twice. Midnight Horror took a month to add the widescreen support to a few 100 screens, and so we are constant working on the tens of thousands that make up Blackenrock.

Hopefully it won’t be too long before the fog shrouded world of Saxton welcomes you all once more.

If Blackenrock really has tens of thousands of screens it will be the biggest adventure game ever made! Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

tsa - 02 August 2016 08:50 AM

Karlok, which one of his many Facebook accounts do you read? I looked for him under Jonathan Boakes, The Last Crown, Darkling Room and The Lost Crown but those accounts either don’t exist or haven’t been updated since 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/TheCrownGames/

His most recent post is below the trailer. Let’s hope that it was the 4th of July in 2016...  Shifty Eyed

tsa - 02 August 2016 08:53 AM

If Blackenrock really has tens of thousands of screens it will be the biggest adventure game ever made! Smile

Yeah, a daunting prospect, isn’t it.  Gasp
Even the Capri and Anacapri games didn’t have so many screens. A few thousand at least, but less than 10,000.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Thanks Karlok! I ‘like’d the page so I can follow it now Smile

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2006-11-21

PM

Did anyone notice that it’s a 40GB+ install?

That’s HUGE!

Gasp

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
- Carl Sagan

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2016-08-02

PM

Oscar - 02 August 2016 08:33 AM

I now have no idea what the order of TLC releases is, what actually has been released and what hasn’t. At first it was simple, there was The Last Crown which hadn’t come out yet and now we have a multitude of games in the series. I’m truly lost.

I know, right? I feel like he’s constantly tinkering with the game and never happy. It seems odd to me that it only recently occurred to him that widescreen is a thing! I don’t doubt that many of the things he’s doing will benefit the game in the long run I just wish his communication was better and more consistent at times.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Deeman - 02 August 2016 11:16 AM
Oscar - 02 August 2016 08:33 AM

I know, right? I feel like he’s constantly tinkering with the game and never happy. It seems odd to me that it only recently occurred to him that widescreen is a thing! I don’t doubt that many of the things he’s doing will benefit the game in the long run I just wish his communication was better and more consistent at times.

I think it’s that, together with the fact that he has two or three other games simmering in his mind, which distract him from the task at hand. And you know what happens when you start to multitask: all tasks are done slower than when they are done separately, and the quality of the delivered result is not as good.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

tsa - 02 August 2016 02:37 PM

I think it’s that, together with the fact that he has two or three other games simmering in his mind, which distract him from the task at hand. And you know what happens when you start to multitask: all tasks are done slower than when they are done separately, and the quality of the delivered result is not as good.

Yeah, he’s working on several games at the same time. In his last blog post (22 April) he wrote he’d spent the day taking pics for Dark Fall 4.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

It looks like he stopped using his blog and twitter after May 1st.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-09-03

PM

Jonathan Boakes’ games are “right up my street” and The Lost Crown is my favourite adventure game ever.  We all know that things can happen in game development but this really is getting silly now.  Every statement he’s made over the last several years about the next game’s progress has turned out to be wrong and I do feel that he isn’t able to say “that’s it, this game is finished, any other ideas will be for another game”.  Midnight Horror was clearly just an out-take and the bottom line is that he hasn’t released a full game since Dark Fall 3 in 2009.  His Twitter and blog have seen no updates for several months now.  As a lover of his games I hate to sound so negative, but you can only stretch people’s patience so far, and I just wish he’d say something, anything, which turns out to be true for once.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

All of his fans feel like this I’m sure. If I were Steam I would give mr. Boakes a stern warning that if he doesn’t release Blackenrock within so many weeks his green thingy will be revoked and he can look for another distributor.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Stonez - 02 August 2016 10:18 AM

Did anyone notice that it’s a 40GB+ install?

That’s HUGE!

Gasp

It sure is. If the download size is anything close to that, it won’t be practical for everyone to download.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top