• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CelesteGBGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any news of Bracken Tor or The Last Crown?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

ZeframCochrane - 03 November 2015 03:45 PM

I’m a little disappointed that Boakes stuck with the Wintermute engine.
I could be wrong, but I suspect limits of that engine are the reason that is forcing him to release two versions of the game, one in HD and one in SD.

I suspect it’s to do with using pre-rendered graphics.

Also…. 4:3 aspect ratio? I have a faint memory of debating this before but… who’s got a 4:3 screen nowadays?

I prefer 4:3 aspect ratio even though my screen is 16:10.
I’d rather have a taller, squarer monitor with more usable space.
In order to get decent height, I had to buy this huge thing that barely fits the desk.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

ZeframCochrane - 03 November 2015 04:33 PM

Heh, is it a CRT?

He he .. No Shifty Eyed
It’s old, but not that old!

Jokes aside, I’m fairly sure the majority has 16:10 displays! And between the majority ending up with pillarboxing or the minority with letterboxing…

Actually I would expect that the vast majority has 16:9 displays and not 16:10, at least that is the standard where I live.

Or.. how about not using Wintermute, and draw static backgrounds with safe areas free of interactive content which can be dynamically cropped by the engine? So we’re both happy? Grin

A great plan .. The problem is that most of the time when games use this approach, they kind of forget to actually test it in 4:3 format Shifty Eyed So there is always that one important item that end up outside of the 4:3 area, and you have to switch to 16:9 to find it, of course only after checking a walkthrough to learn that there is such an item.

Anyway, I have gotten used to playing many games in letterbox, and it is probably only a matter of time, before I cave in and replace it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Karlok - 01 November 2015 04:11 AM

So how is the “prologue”, is it good, should I buy it? I’m sure tsa, Fantasy, Intense Degree and others have already played it.

I haven’t. I’m very busy with other things at the moment, and I think that after so many years Boakes could have released the real game instead of investing time and effort in this prologue. So I’ll wait for the real game.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Well, I’m very happy to be back in Saxton, where time has stood still. The game intro has a decidedly retro look and feel with Nigel Danvers floating around as before instead of walking. The animations are still stiff and unnatural. Nigel still pauses every two or three words. If you want to have another go at a puzzle, you’ll have to repeat the dialogue. Only one innovation as far as I can tell: you can skip dialogue lines and doubleclick to move Nigel to the next room. So technology has passed Saxton by. But who cares, it’s as atmospheric as ever. Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

Karlok - 08 November 2015 11:10 AM

Only one innovation as far as I can tell: you can skip dialogue lines and doubleclick to move Nigel to the next room.

That was changed in an update to the Steam version of TLoC, so not even that Grin Grin

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Karlok - 08 November 2015 11:10 AM

Only one innovation as far as I can tell: you can skip dialogue lines and doubleclick to move Nigel to the next room. So technology has passed Saxton by. But who cares, it’s as atmospheric as ever. Smile

Sounds great.
I’m glad to hear the only “innovation” is an unobtrusive and optional one.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-07-09

PM

Did you notice? There is some news on Jonathan Boakes blog. He writes that Blackenrock will be released in december or early next year (so perhaps postponed a bit since his last announcement) and that Bracken Tor will be released in the New Year! Is it for real this time?

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

I’m not getting my hopes up just yet…

On the other hand, I notice the release of a 16:9 version of Midnight Horror!

“It became obvious, after launching Midnight Horror, that no-one (well, it seemed like no-one) uses 4:3 monitors or TV’s anymore.”

....well fancy that Tongue

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

ZeframCochrane - 03 December 2015 02:09 PM

On the other hand, I notice the release of a 16:9 version of Midnight Horror!

“It became obvious, after launching Midnight Horror, that no-one (well, it seemed like no-one) uses 4:3 monitors or TV’s anymore.”

Mainly because 4:3 monitors aren’t readily available any more.
You can find 5:4 (1280x1024) online, but 4:3 are in the neighborhood of $1000.
I’d definitely prefer a 4:3 monitor.
I don’t like widescreen at all—you have to buy a huge monitor that eats up considerable desk space in order to have decent screen height.

But it’s fortunate Jon Boakes released a “widescreen” version for those with laptops or monitors with inadequate vertical screen resolution for the original.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2006-11-21

PM

It was so nice to be back in Saxton again.  This short and sweet jaunt has certainly whet ones appetite for Blackenrock which should be out by the end of January.  We also have Bracken Tor coming out at that time too.  It’s shaping up for a good year if Jonathan and Matt can keep to their deadlines…

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
- Carl Sagan

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Stonez - 05 December 2015 10:06 AM

Blackenrock which should be out by the end of January.  We also have Bracken Tor coming out at that time too.  It’s shaping up for a good year if Jonathan and Matt can keep to their deadlines…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Greg - 03 December 2015 12:16 PM

Did you notice? There is some news on Jonathan Boakes blog. He writes that Blackenrock will be released in december or early next year (so perhaps postponed a bit since his last announcement) and that Bracken Tor will be released in the New Year! Is it for real this time?

Something strange is going on. Why is Boakes announcing release dates for games that aren’t his? Could Matt Clark be ill?

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-07-09

PM

I agree it is strange. The fact that no new screenshots of the game appeared recently is a bit odd, too.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I see nothing strange about it. Bracken Tor will be publishing through Shadow Tor, the same purchase/download system that was set up for the DRM-free version of Midnight Horror.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I thought that Darkling Room was Boakes’ company, and Shadow Tor is Matt Clark’s. More to the point, when’s the last time we heard anything from Matt himself?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top