• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Florus

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any news of Bracken Tor or The Last Crown?

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2015-09-22

PM

That’s not even a proper trailer, it’s a teaser.  I’m not impressed.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Fantasy is already very excited on FaceBook. I’m excited too! Finally the game is almost finished and it’s probably just a question of months before we can enjoy Nigel Danvers’ adventures again!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 25 September 2015 02:04 PM

Finally the game is almost finished and it’s probably just a question of months before we can enjoy Nigel Danvers’ adventures again!

It was supposed to be a question of one month TWO YEARS AGO.
Don’t get your hopes up. This is Jonathan “Procrastination” Boakes we’re talking about…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2015-09-22

PM

It doesn’t really matter when or if Bracken Tor and Last Crown are released.  They won’t be as popular or sell as much because of the silence from devs and broken promises/release dates.  Not as many people care about these two games anymore.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

NoGamesToPlay - 02 October 2015 11:35 AM

It doesn’t really matter when or if Bracken Tor and Last Crown are released.  They won’t be as popular or sell as much because of the silence from devs and broken promises/release dates.  Not as many people care about these two games anymore.

There are plenty of people that don’t care how long a game takes to be released.  If it is good, then the time taken to completion doesn’t matter.  Would it be better if they were more communicative?  Sure.  They are only hurting themselves.  In the end though, a good game is a good game.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

But if the enormously long development time makes the game good remains to be seen. Remember Duke Nukem Forever?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

darthmaul - 09 October 2015 11:49 PM

There are plenty of people that don’t care how long a game takes to be released.

I think that is only true up to a point.
After several years, many fans of the previous games may not even be playing adventure games anymore.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

crabapple - 10 October 2015 02:02 PM

There are plenty of people that don’t care how long a game takes to be released.

I think that is only true up to a point.
After several years, many fans of the previous games may not even be playing adventure games anymore.

Why wouldn’t they be?

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Because they are married, and have kids and demanding jobs. A lot can happen in a few years.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

I’m happy to see that there’s a teaser trailer. It’s exciting to see signs of progress on this game! Smile

I found the trailer itself pretty underwhelming, though, unfortunately. I say this as a fan of Jonathan Boakes (I’ve played and enjoyed all of his commercially released games,) not as a skeptic in general.

A teaser has to have something memorable and compelling about it. It has to make an impression in a short time so it sticks in your head and makes you want to find out more about the game. This one just didn’t for me. I felt like the subject matter of that scene could have been dropped into pretty much any ghost-themed horror movie or scary game from the past few decades - there was nothing unique about it, nothing showing the developer’s creativity. I’m baffled why after this much development time, such a generic scene seemed like the best way to represent the game. The visuals were adequate, but weren’t strong enough to carry the effort alone.

Maybe my expectations are just too high, but just leaning hard on the “creepy ghost kid singing creepy song is creepy” trope without any sort of unique spin is pretty disappointing.

I was already planning on buying the game and still will, but hopefully the next trailer will be more intriguing to draw in new customers.

There are plenty of people that don’t care how long a game takes to be released.  If it is good, then the time taken to completion doesn’t matter.  Would it be better if they were more communicative?  Sure.  They are only hurting themselves.  In the end though, a good game is a good game.

I agree that it’s better to take a little extra time than to release a game unfinished or unpolished, but there are limits. Technology begins to look dated. The hype can’t be sustained indefinitely, and player interest in the release wanes.

I think it’s very tempting for indie developers in particular to fall into the traps of perfectionism and getting sidetracked into other projects at the expense of completing any one thing. I feel like both of these have been the case for Boakes. Lofty ambitions are all well and good, but there comes a point where actually releasing something has to be a priority if you’re trying to develop a product to sell to players rather than just creating stuff for your personal enjoyment.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

Annacat - 16 October 2015 11:10 PM

I’m happy to see that there’s a teaser trailer. It’s exciting to see signs of progress on this game! Smile

I found the trailer itself pretty underwhelming, though, unfortunately. I say this as a fan of Jonathan Boakes (I’ve played and enjoyed all of his commercially released games,) not as a skeptic in general.

A teaser has to have something memorable and compelling about it. It has to make an impression in a short time so it sticks in your head and makes you want to find out more about the game. This one just didn’t for me. I felt like the subject matter of that scene could have been dropped into pretty much any ghost-themed horror movie or scary game from the past few decades - there was nothing unique about it, nothing showing the developer’s creativity. I’m baffled why after this much development time, such a generic scene seemed like the best way to represent the game. The visuals were adequate, but weren’t strong enough to carry the effort alone.

Maybe my expectations are just too high, but just leaning hard on the “creepy ghost kid singing creepy song is creepy” trope without any sort of unique spin is pretty disappointing.

I was already planning on buying the game and still will, but hopefully the next trailer will be more intriguing to draw in new customers.

I agree that it’s better to take a little extra time than to release a game unfinished or unpolished, but there are limits. Technology begins to look dated. The hype can’t be sustained indefinitely, and player interest in the release wanes.

I think it’s very tempting for indie developers in particular to fall into the traps of perfectionism and getting sidetracked into other projects at the expense of completing any one thing. I feel like both of these have been the case for Boakes. Lofty ambitions are all well and good, but there comes a point where actually releasing something has to be a priority if you’re trying to develop a product to sell to players rather than just creating stuff for your personal enjoyment.

Very well said. I agree with you on all points.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 25 September 2015 03:25 PM
tsa - 25 September 2015 02:04 PM

Finally the game is almost finished and it’s probably just a question of months before we can enjoy Nigel Danvers’ adventures again!

It was supposed to be a question of one month TWO YEARS AGO.
Don’t get your hopes up. This is Jonathan “Procrastination” Boakes we’re talking about…

It looks like you are right. It’s now a month later and no news whatsoever. Boakes missed the Halloween release and I’m sure he is going to miss the important Christmas holiday release too.
I read somewhere that The Last Crown gets three(!) sequels, The Lost Crown being one of them. I sure hope Mr. Boakes hasn’t started on the other two yet but I fear the worst.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

This is something related?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291770/

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Hey, that looks pretty cool!

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

YEEEEEEEESS! MANNA FROM ABOVE! Dropping down like sweet pumpkin pie right in my mouth in time for Halloweeeeeeeeeen.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top