• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #27: Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

So we finally get to see the lovely Luci Luv performing her show

I must admit that one of the main reasons that I wanted to go down the Boulevard of Broken Dreams this time, is because of:

Ever since I first learned that it was possible to get Tex completely hammered, I have been dying to try it and see how the scene plays out, and if it wasn’t reward enough in itself, as a bonus we get to hear this great song while watching Tex pour down one bourbon after another.

Ironically I also found that the following scene works much better than it does in the “normal” version. Okay Tex is showing his worst side and being a complete jerk, but the acting in the scene is for some reason or another actually much better. In the normal version the acting by the other person, has to be by far the worst performance in the game, but here she actually does a decent job.

Okay it does mean that I don’t get this scene:

But sadly we can’t get everything.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished day 2, things are becoming a lot more dark with the Evil Tex, but that drunk cutscene was awesome. The amount of optional content and puzzles you can do here or later is astonishing, the chapter can take 15 minutes or a couple hours.

Kurufinwe - 15 March 2014 07:19 PM
Kurufinwe - 13 March 2014 02:36 PM

By the way, I’m also re-reading the book in parallel to replaying the game. (Day 1 was chapters 1-2.) Is anyone else doing the same?

Since nobody’s replied to this, I’m going to assume that I’m the only one reading the book in parallel and that I should say a few words about it. There are two Tex Murphy novels: UAKM and TPD. The former was written after the game was made, whereas the latter was written while the game was being made (and might depict some of Aaron Conners’ original ideas for the story?). The PD novel is a pretty good book; the writing is witty and the story was adapted so that it reads like an actual novel rather than a glorified walkthrough (hello GK1 book!).

You got me interested so I started reading (why is it still not available in the kickstarter rewards page in Big Finish Games? Had to get it from somewhere else.)

I’m up to chapter five so I covered the first 2 days, the second day was surprinsingly short in the book but I guess the game can also be like that if you skip the stuff that you can do later. This seems to be the chapter with the big decisions concerning the paths and the book sticks to Lombard Street in here I think. Also, the Lucy Luv act is a lot better in written words then seen in the game Smile
Still, I wish there was more descriptions of Chandler Avenue and interactions with the other characters, the script seems to be really close to the game so far.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

While the PD book is very close to the story in the game (with a handful of differences), the UAKM book quite different. Definitely more worth a read if you want an alternative and more epic vision of the events that transpired, and in my opinion: expands the scope of the story significantly.

Enjoy the game, and enjoy the books!

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Hm, after 30 minutes or so I went to Chelsee for the first time and was in chapter 3 immediately. Didn’t do much yet. I’m going to reload and see what else I can do in this chapter.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

HandsFree - 16 March 2014 07:43 PM

Hm, after 30 minutes or so I went to Chelsee for the first time and was in chapter 3 immediately.

Ahh.. my mistake, I just assumed everybody would immediately go to Chelsee to try and explain and make up, as soon as Tex suggest that this would be a good idea. But if you delay that for long enough, then “the point of no return” can happen already on the first visit to Chelsee’s apartment.

I will edit the Day start post to better reflect this.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Would love to replay to try the different routes, I guess the “best” option would actually require a walkthru for me. Experiencing the Boulevard of Broken Dreams would’ve been awesome though, but I’m just so damn busy again and not really sure I would ever catch up. Will have to check the alternative routes myself at some time. I still need to replay The Overseer (for some reason I had a long break on it and managed to totally forgot what has happened,apart from one or two things) before The Tesla Effect comes out.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

After playing through the introduction last week I had some time today at last to get started on Day 1! I finished it in less than an hour looking at everything in the immediate vicinities to get the wonderful comments & just following the flow! So, I haven’t done very much at all except for Tex getting a date with Chelsea, paying Nilo & exploring apartment A

I’ve never played the game before so I’m quite happy with that & it was a good introduction to playing around with the controls. I’ve taken it easy with the movement so no motion sickness so far & I’m hooked! I love the way Tex got his name - does anyone know what his real name is?

I’ve just started Day 2 & as I have been following the thread it seems I have a lot of catching up to do! I’m glad that the trigger for Day 3 was mentioned as I would have otherwise got Tex to persist with Chelsea

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

HandsFree - 16 March 2014 07:43 PM

Hm, after 30 minutes or so I went to Chelsee for the first time and was in chapter 3 immediately. Didn’t do much yet. I’m going to reload and see what else I can do in this chapter.

Reloaded and did quite a lot more this time (not sure if it was everything possible).
Hit a nasty bug though. The game didn’t recognize my correct answer to the puzzle on the cd-rom, so I started to doubt what I was supposed to do. Finally reloaded again and that time the same answer was accepted.
On a third reload I tried to get Tex drunk but it didn’t happen. I’ve been to nice I suppose.  Crazy

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Color me stupid. When I woke up in Apt A I did a thorough search and came up with a bundle of inventory items/clues. When I left the room I was prompted to go explain things to Chelsee. My first thought was that she lived in the same building so I knocked on all the doors - to no avail. So I left the building and started wandering around looking for things such as Nilo’s wallet, the orphanage money, etc., and have come up empty. I’m not sure what I need to do next.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Tim, I found the orphanage money on the ground by a mail box outside of the Golden Gate Hotel I’ve only just discovered that clicking on ‘travel’ on the right-hand panel gives you other locations including Chelsea’s apartment.
Also if you click on ‘hint’ it gives a useful list of the objectives - I’ve resisted clicking on any of them to get a hint .... so far!

If you have the un-translated letter from Apartment A have you re-visited the pawn shop?

That’s all I can help with at the moment as it’s a case of the blind leading the blind!!!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 18 March 2014 08:43 PM

I’m not sure what I need to do next.

chrissie - 19 March 2014 05:06 AM

I’ve only just discovered that clicking on ‘travel’ on the right-hand panel gives you other locations including Chelsea’s apartment.

Also, on the left side on the travel map, there is 3 buttons “Chandler Ave.”, “San Francisco” and “North America” that can be used to zoom in and out on the map. It only just occurred to me, that the game doesn’t give any warnings like a small graphics when a new location is added to the map, apart from perhaps a small comment by Tex.

Apart from Chelsea’s apartment other locations might have been added to the map!

chrissie - 19 March 2014 05:06 AM

Also if you click on ‘hint’ it gives a useful list of the objectives - I’ve resisted clicking on any of them to get a hint .... so far!

Apart from Tex making comments like “This might be worth following up on” then the game doesn’t always give you a list of clear objectives, but the Hint system can be used in this way as Chrissie suggested.

One direct Clue I will give you is: [spoiler]Did you find the scarf in Malloy’s room? If so, then it might be worth asking around if anybody has seen a women wearing this scarf.[/spoiler]

rtrooney - 18 March 2014 08:43 PM

So I left the building and started wandering around looking for things such as Nilo’s wallet, the orphanage money, etc., and have come up empty.

Okay, let me also reveal where these optional extra items can be found: Nilo’s wallet can be found on the ground outside the Electronics shop, the orphanage money where Chrissie explained and the Drug Dealer money can be found in the sewers.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

HandsFree - 18 March 2014 06:09 PM

Hit a nasty bug though. The game didn’t recognize my correct answer to the puzzle on the cd-rom, so I started to doubt what I was supposed to do. Finally reloaded again and that time the same answer was accepted.

Hmm… Perhaps it isn’t an outright bug, but instead because one of the “pieces” wasn’t placed perfectly within the square! That is a common problem when solving these kind of puzzles in the Tex series. What I do myself to avoid this, is that I deliberately place the pieces a slight bit askew, and then I pay attention to see if they slide into place or not, if they don’t then they are placed to much askew and are not accepted as having been placed inside one of the squares. 

HandsFree - 18 March 2014 06:09 PM

On a third reload I tried to get Tex drunk but it didn’t happen. I’ve been to nice I suppose.  Crazy

Yep Wink

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 18 March 2014 12:28 PM

I love the way Tex got his name - does anyone know what his real name is?

I don’t think that has ever been revealed.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now caught up & got to Day 3 - I was beginning to feel nauseous not so much with moving around but with using steps & looking up & down when the movement seemed to get out of control! The ‘travel’ feature helped in some cases. 

I didn’t get to do some of these things on Day 1: 

Iznogood - 15 March 2014 12:10 PM

Now that there are only a few hours left until we start the next day, let me ask a few questions to round up this chapter:

1) Did you find the money to the orphans? And did you keep it or did you do the right thing?

2) [spoiler]Did you find Nilo’s wallet? And did you give it to him or did you do the right thing do as Nilo deserves?[/spoiler]

3) Did you pay Louie the money you own him, or are you going to threat your best friend like a doormat?  **YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD**

4) Did you find the drug dealer money?

5) Did you find a bottle of single malt for Crazy Gary? Did you even find and talk to Gary

6) Did you pay Nilo the extra cash for the code to the door?

My answers:
1 Yes & No on Day 1 (I’m just borrowing it & will do the right thing later if it’s possible!)

2 Yes & Yes on Day 2

3 Yes & No on Day 1

4 Yes on Day 2 I guessed it must be in the sewers somewhere & went back to look again.

5 No & Yes on Day 2 I thought he was hilarious when the subject got onto booze!

6 No on Day 1 (I’m glad I wasn’t so hasty!)

I needed a nudge for the cabin door code - I didn’t pay too much attention to the crumpled note to start with as I knew I didn’t have to do the crossword! Also showing the scarf to Louie to lead on to getting the key for the club. Using that seemed to be the trigger for finding Chelsee at home after trying to visit her several times. I wasn’t able to get Tex to go to the club alone or get him drunk! Also reading a hint from here I went back to apartment A to try & find the receipt which I used in the pawnshop to get an interesting item!

I can’t wait to get on with Day 3!

I liked the comment in the electronics shop (I don’t think you’ve mentioned it Izno?) - “The visors don’t work so we’re selling them cheap - 10 bucks each” 

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Iznogood - 19 March 2014 09:40 AM

Hmm… Perhaps it isn’t an outright bug, but instead because one of the “pieces” wasn’t placed perfectly within the square! That is a common problem when solving these kind of puzzles in the Tex series. What I do myself to avoid this, is that I deliberately place the pieces a slight bit askew, and then I pay attention to see if they slide into place or not, if they don’t then they are placed to much askew and are not accepted as having been placed inside one of the squares.

No, I’ve paid attention to that too, but the pieces get locked in place as soon as they’re anywhere near a borderline. Anyway, the 2nd time it worked.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top