• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #27: Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 19 March 2014 10:34 AM

1 Yes & No on Day 1 (I’m just borrowing it & will do the right thing later if it’s possible!)

Don’t worry, you can, at least up until a certain point.

chrissie - 19 March 2014 10:34 AM

I liked the comment in the electronics shop (I don’t think you’ve mentioned it Izno?) - “The visors don’t work so we’re selling them cheap - 10 bucks each”

Yeah, the game is filled with comments like that, especially here in the beginning.
I’m actually thinking about buying one of them - Oh come on, surely I’m not the only one who has ever dreamed of owning a Geordi La Forge visir, and I think I can afford the 10 bucks without going broke.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 19 March 2014 11:43 AM

Oh come on, surely I’m not the only one who has ever dreamed of owning a Geordi La Forge visir, and I think I can afford the 10 bucks without going broke.

Even if they don’t work (which they don’t)????

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Time for a new quote of the day, and since I’m pretty sure most of you didn’t get this dialogue yourself, then how about Tex’s Philosophy on Love:

Tex: Well, falling in love is a lot like bungee jumping, except the other person gets to hook up the bungee cord and you can’t check to see if its fastened to anything.
Chelsee: Sound like you’re not too interested in trying it again.
Tex: What, bungee jumping?  *Bah-da-da-tsssss*

Edit: Oh.. and just in case you are wondering, I didn’t get it myself in this playthrough, but luckily I have still got my savegames from a previous playthrough, where I wasn’t Evil Tex.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 19 March 2014 12:43 PM
Iznogood - 19 March 2014 11:43 AM

Oh come on, surely I’m not the only one who has ever dreamed of owning a Geordi La Forge visir, and I think I can afford the 10 bucks without going broke.

Even if they don’t work (which they don’t)????

But… they still look so damn cool

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

A few thoughts about Day 2.

Things are starting to get going, both in terms of the investigation and Tex’s life. It started off with an old guy missing, but now we have repeated hints of some conspiracy about aliens, and a creepy stalker / potential murderer to find. The plot’s definitely getting more complex, and that’s a good thing.

It’s interesting that the highlight of the day (end scenes notwithstanding) is optional. The whole mystery of the cabin in the woods can be skipped entirely. It definitely shouldn’t, though, since it’s interesting and hints at where the story may be going. I particularly enjoyed exploring the cabin, looking for clues, just like I enjoyed searching Malloy’s room. It feels like you’re actually investigating (and it never feels like 3D-pixel-hunting, which was sometimes the case in UAKM).

So I’m sticking with the Boulevard of Broken Dreams, even though it’s painful at times. Drunk Tex is mean. Still, I like that, at the end of the day, he may be a jerk to Chelsee, but not gratuitously so. It’s more about him choosing being a PI over a relationship, because he thinks he’s good at the former and sucks at the latter. There’s an element of cynicism and self-loathing here that’s very true to the game’s noir roots.

Since it’s possible to go down Lombard Street if you pick different choices at Chelsee’s appartment, I went back and watched that cutscene too. It sure does end differently. I have to say I prefer the drunken version of the conversation with Emily; Tex’s meaner, but (as was mentioned earlier in this thread) Skanky McSkank’s acting is less blatantly awful. But the Lombard Street version of the club scene has what is probably my favourite line in the entire game: Chelsee’s “TWO BIRDS!”. Suzanne Barnes is perfect there.

By the way, if you type jky once you regain control of the game at the beginning of day 3, you can see that the “Current Path” information may have been changed from B (Lombard Street) to A (Mission Street) or C (Boulevard of Broken Dreams). Your path is set, there’s no turning back now! And we still have 8 days to see exactly what that means.

I despise games that are linear for almost their entire duration and then decide to have some branching in the last 5 minutes; in TPD, your decisions have consequences that resonate throughout the entirety of the game and that’s infinitely better.

Miscellaneous excerpts from my notes:

* The interface is still awful.
* So many clues left in the hotel room. That hooded guy sucks at his job!
* Gus Leach seems like such a sweet guy. Hate being rude to him. But it’s compulsory in order to end up on the darker path.
* What’s with Mac Malden’s nose???
* By the way, not having to swap CDs is great. Long live GOG (and dosbox).
* Is there a logic to opening the lock to Rusty’s, or are you just supposed to try every combination?
* Bad news: 30 years from now, Häagen-Dazs are still in business.
* (wide shot of Tex and Chelsee sitting at their table) Good grief, Tex. Buy some proper shoes!
* Crazy eyes!

* Why is this awful dance number so long? Most unsexy thing ever.
* (Tex getting drunk) Richie Havens! (How are they going to be able to make Tesla Effect without him?)

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 March 2014 04:13 PM

The plot’s definitely getting more complex, and that’s a good thing.

I agree, I wish I didn’t already knew the story and had to guess of how the h… these things are connected.

I despise games that are linear for almost their entire duration and then decide to have some branching in the last 5 minutes; in TPD, your decisions have consequences that resonate throughout the entirety of the game and that’s infinitely better.

Again I agree.

Your path is set, there’s no turning back now! And we still have 8 days to see exactly what that means.

Just to clarify: Even if you are on Mission Street after this Day, then it is still possible to end up on Lombard Street, and I am not 100% convinced that it is not possible to end up on Boulevard of Broken Dreams even if you are on LS after day 2. But it should only be possible to get to a “worse path” and not “better”.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

According to Imdb Lucy Luv/Nicole Tindall went to great parts like:
- Dj
- Bikini Babe
- Lifeguard Trainee in Baywatch
- Bobby Sue

So Pandora’s date cutscene was probably a highlight. She has some credits has a composer so I hope she was more succesfull in those.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 19 March 2014 05:06 AM

If you have the un-translated letter from Apartment A have you re-visited the pawn shop?

I found a letter in the apartment, but not one that was “un-translated”. By that I’m guessing you mean something that looks like gibberish.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Iznogood - 19 March 2014 05:57 PM

Your path is set, there’s no turning back now! And we still have 8 days to see exactly what that means.

Just to clarify: Even if you are on Mission Street after this Day, then it is still possible to end up on Lombard Street, and I am not 100% convinced that it is not possible to end up on Boulevard of Broken Dreams even if you are on LS after day 2. But it should only be possible to get to a “worse path” and not “better”.

I’m pretty sure at this point the only possible path change is Mission -> Lombard (and after the scene at the beginning of day 3, those two only differ at the very end). Lombard -> Mission is impossible, and BBD is completely separate from the other two at this point, since the course is set for the big event that defines BBD (major spoiler: Emily’s death), and there’s nothing you can do to change that course one way or the other after the start of day 3. So yeah, if you’re on Mission Street at the start of day 3, the game will keep you on your toes if you want to stay there; otherwise, the structure of the story is set and there’s not much you’ll be able to do to affect it until much, much later.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 19 March 2014 06:19 PM

So Pandora’s date cutscene was probably a highlight. She has some credits has a composer so I hope she was more succesfull in those.

Here‘s some quality journalism about her non-existent music career. (I need to find the rest of that show. I want to know how the story ends for Nicole!)

(Her whole site is… interesting.)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 March 2014 06:51 PM
wilco - 19 March 2014 06:19 PM

Here‘s some quality journalism about her non-existent music career. (I need to find the rest of that show. I want to know how the story ends for Nicole!)

(Her whole site is… interesting.)

That is certainly something…

That story would never end well so I did some PI work and Nicole lost $5000… poor girl. Tex would never let it happen.
http://www.today.com/id/25208626#.Uyop5UJ_tVs

Back to Pandora, why doesn’t Tex google all those names in the future instead of going around asking everybody? Classic PI habit I guess… Smile

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I actually finished day two this weekend. I think I did only the strictly necessary things.

Iznogood - 15 March 2014 12:10 PM

1) Did you find the money to the orphans? And did you keep it or did you do the right thing?

2) [spoiler]Did you find Nilo’s wallet? And did you give it to him or did you do the right thing do as Nilo deserves?[/spoiler]

3) Did you pay Louie the money you own him, or are you going to threat your best friend like a doormat?  **YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD**

4) Did you find the drug dealer money?

5) Did you find a bottle of single malt for Crazy Gary? Did you even find and talk to Gary

6) Did you pay Nilo the extra cash for the code to the door?

1) Yes and didn’t keep.
2) Yes and didn’t keep.
3) Yes, of course.
4) No, I haven’t even been to that place yet!
5) Same as 4), haven’t spoken to him yet.
6) Yes, and I almost felt dirty for doing so.

Kurufinwe or someone said something about day 2 being the last chance to do the optional trip to the cabin? Or maybe I misunderstood you. I hope that’s not the case since I’m aiming for all 4000 points! At least I’m still on the right path: Innocent

Everyone seems to agree that the canon follows the Lombard Street ending with the holo-dating. I agree that that ending and path fits the characters of Tex and Chelsee best, but I always thought that the beginning of Overseer suggests that it follows the Mission Street ending? Or did a long time pass between TPD and Overseer and they just, uh, had a change of heart?

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

harald - 20 March 2014 09:33 AM

Kurufinwe or someone said something about day 2 being the last chance to do the optional trip to the cabin? Or maybe I misunderstood you. I hope that’s not the case since I’m aiming for all 4000 points! At least I’m still on the right path: Innocent

What K meant was that there is a section at the cabin that you don’t have to do as it adds nothing to the game play but certainly adds to the story line. You can visit there at any time up and until you go travelling later in the game - Day 6 I think from memory. You do, however, pick up extra points in that section.

And I must continue with the game. I’m about to visit Chelsee to see if she’ll go to the Flamingo with me but as I’m playing nasty Tex it means I’m going to have to upset her to keep on that path and I’m not looking forward to it Embarassed  Foot in mouth

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 20 March 2014 09:56 AM
harald - 20 March 2014 09:33 AM

What K meant was that there is a section at the cabin that you don’t have to do as it adds nothing to the game play but certainly adds to the story line. You can visit there at any time up and until you go travelling later in the game - Day 6 I think from memory. You do, however, pick up extra points in that section.

I’m not sure there is anything optional about the cabin, except perhaps that you can omit finding and clicking on some items, but it can sometimes be difficult to deduce what is optional and what is required in this game.

What however is optional is when you go to the cabin, as it is not required to complete this Day/Chapter, though story-wise it makes most sense in this chapter.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 March 2014 06:43 PM

I’m pretty sure at this point the only possible path change is Mission -> Lombard…

You are probably right, I just wasn’t 100% sure.

And to clarify a bit more: Even if your “path” is locked, then there are still different endings for each path that aren’t locked, and some actions have consequences on their own regardless of path end ending.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top