• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #27: Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 19 March 2014 06:28 PM
chrissie - 19 March 2014 05:06 AM

If you have the un-translated letter from Apartment A have you re-visited the pawn shop?

I found a letter in the apartment, but not one that was “un-translated”. By that I’m guessing you mean something that looks like gibberish.

It is described in the inventory as “un-translated letter”, but the part we can see properly does look like gibberish, so it might or might not be the same letter Chrissie is talking about.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 20 March 2014 10:07 AM

I’m not sure there is anything optional about the cabin, except perhaps that you can omit finding and clicking on some items, but it can sometimes be difficult to deduce what is optional and what is required in this game.

If you never go upstairs at the cabin all that happens is you miss out on some points plus an explanation of what is possibly going on.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

harald - 20 March 2014 09:33 AM

Everyone seems to agree that the canon follows the Lombard Street ending with the holo-dating. I agree that that ending and path fits the characters of Tex and Chelsee best, but I always thought that the beginning of Overseer suggests that it follows the Mission Street ending? Or did a long time pass between TPD and Overseer and they just, uh, had a change of heart?

The the holo-dating ending is not more definitive than they can easily patch things up and go back to dating. Also I believe the Overseer start is suppose to take place a couple of moths after TPD but the same year.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve had a long conversation with Rook. Strikes me as the sensible type, though grouchy. I ducked into Rusty’s (don’t know if that’s a spoiler, so might as well be careful. I got a laugh from the “See No Evil” graffiti and the “Sorry Mac, first things come first” line. I’m speculating like mad about what’s hidden in the water tower.

The game offered to convert my points into money. At last, a meaningful reason for points! I think this means that I can borrow from something (or someone) deep in the very essence of the game. My points score is now -364. I owe the software $364 dollars. Someday I’ll figure out how to repay it.

I wonder who wrote the anti-Tex graffiti in the alley behind Rook’s store. The “Fedoras Stink” stuff.

Some of the graffiti is hard to read. There’s a bit above the fence that seems to say “Iviar Nabe Aba Nona.” When he reads it, Tex says that he wants to beat whoever wrote it with a pair of wingtips. Anybody know what that’s about?

I tried to report my suspicions about the cabin to Mac, but he’s in “See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil” mode. I think the city pays him to breathe.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 20 March 2014 10:23 AM

It is described in the inventory as “un-translated letter”, but the part we can see properly does look like gibberish, so it might or might not be the same letter Chrissie is talking about.

It’s the same letter. I’m a bit annoyed. I looked through all the drawers at least three times before. All I can think of is that you must be in a relatively precise position in order to see the letter. The same holds true for Nilo’s wallet and the orphanage envelope. I have no idea why I didn’t see them earlier because I was wandering the same locations. The thing with the sewer threw me off. I was looking at, and trying to move the curbside grates, which was obviously not the right solution. I do seem to be going through money like **** through a goose. Anyway, I managed to make my way to the start of Day Three.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 20 March 2014 11:30 AM

I’m speculating like mad about what’s hidden in the water tower.

Water of course, what else could possibly be in a water tower? Tongue

The game offered to convert my points into money. At last, a meaningful reason for points! I think this means that I can borrow from something (or someone) deep in the very essence of the game. My points score is now -364. I owe the software $364 dollars. Someday I’ll figure out how to repay it.

Yeah that also happened to me on a previous playthrough - I immediately restarted the game.

I don’t like being in debt to something that I own, the logical ramifications are simply too complicated for me to handle. 

I wonder who wrote the anti-Tex graffiti in the alley behind Rook’s store. The “Fedoras Stink” stuff.

I think I missed that myself, but now I will have to check.

I tried to report my suspicions about the cabin to Mac, but he’s in “See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil” mode. I think the city pays him to breath.

Or rather it is Tex who is in “speak no evil” mode, but it is one of the two things in the game I have always had a bit of a problem with - story-wise that is.

rtrooney - 20 March 2014 11:32 AM

I’m a bit annoyed. I looked through all the drawers at least three times before. All I can think of is that you must be in a relatively precise position in order to see the letter.

Yeah, that is one of the few problems with the game. I learned a long time ago to always double check everything in order to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Time for a few words about the book.

1) As wilco noted earlier, the chapters corresponding to day 2 are pretty short, and they only focus on the essentials. The whole side-plot in the cabin is absent (not just from day 2, but from the book entirely). The book about aliens in Malloy’s room is also absent (Emily’s scarf is the only thing left there; the guy who jumped Tex is more competent in the book), so there are no hints at all about this theme in the book at that point.

(By the way, also missing from the book entirely: Gary, Clint and Zack. Good riddance.)

2) In the game, Tex goes to Chelsee’s apartment knowing she has a membership to the club. In the book, he doesn’t know that, though he’s still the one who suggests going there, after some hesitation:
I knew that we should go somewhere in the new city, a nice, quiet place where we could discuss the pros and cons of romantic love, get a little light-headed, maybe go for a walk and watch the sunset—in short, get away from this Malloy case that had gotten me into trouble in the first place. But if we went to, say, the Fuchsia Flamingo, maybe I could make things up to Chelsee and get a little detective work done. It was probably a bad idea.
“How about the Fuchsia Flamingo?”

3) As wilco mentioned, Emily’s number looks much better (and much more noir) in the book than it does in the game:
A woman stepped into the spotlight and undulated to the microphone. Her ruby red sequinned dress look like it had been painted on. It wasn’t low-cut—it didn’t have to be. From forty feet this woman look perfect. She curled her fingers around the microphone and began to sing. I was spellbound. She didn’t just sing a song—she made love to it.
Yeah.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

If I’d known I could borrow from the software I would definitely have sent that orphanage money back! Laughing

I tried to report my suspicions about the cabin to Mac, but he’s in “See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil” mode. I think the city pays him to breath.

It seemed an obvious thing to do at the time but the same here - no go!

Iznogood - 20 March 2014 10:07 AM

What K meant was that there is a section at the cabin that you don’t have to do as it adds nothing to the game play but certainly adds to the story line. You can visit there at any time up and until you go travelling later in the game - Day 6 I think from memory. You do, however, pick up extra points in that section.

I’m not sure there is anything optional about the cabin, except perhaps that you can omit finding and clicking on some items, but it can sometimes be difficult to deduce what is optional and what is required in this game.

What however is optional is when you go to the cabin, as it is not required to complete this Day/Chapter, though story-wise it makes most sense in this chapter.

As mentioned I’ve never played the game before so as the cabin was on the map I went there - why would any Adventurer not? I enjoyed exploring it but playing the film reel was interesting & also the sense of Tex being in a potentially dangerous position having seen it! Maybe that’s why it wasn’t a good thing to mention it to Mac? I’m guessing this is related to things yet to come.

BTW How many others of you (except for those that know better) spent hours fruitlessly searching through trash cans etc in back alleys?

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Now that’s a bit of a bugger! Been forcing my way through nasty Tex and just got Chelsee to go to the Flamingo (although why she would do so after the way I spoke to her is something of a mystery) and, instead of arriving at the Flamingo cut-scene, I got dumped out of the game with an “insufficient memory” message. Something like this has never happened to me before and that’s using discs or, as now, the GOG version.
I’m going to delete the game and restart but probably go for the perfect route this time and see what happens.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Jabod - 20 March 2014 03:19 PM

Now that’s a bit of a bugger! Been forcing my way through nasty Tex and just got Chelsee to go to the Flamingo (although why she would do so after the way I spoke to her is something of a mystery) and, instead of arriving at the Flamingo cut-scene, I got dumped out of the game with an “insufficient memory” message. Something like this has never happened to me before and that’s using discs or, as now, the GOG version.
I’m going to delete the game and restart but probably go for the perfect route this time and see what happens.

I had the same problem. You need to increase the memory size in the dosbox config file.

EDIT: i.e. in the [dosbox] section of the dosbox config file, change memsize from 16 to 32.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 March 2014 03:26 PM
Jabod - 20 March 2014 03:19 PM

I had the same problem. You need to increase the memory size in the dosbox config file.

EDIT: i.e. in the [dosbox] section of the dosbox config file, change memsize from 16 to 32.

Cheers K but too late (though I will remember that for the future).

Back into Day 2 and I thought I’d play entertainment mode instead of gamer - the first time in 18 years - just for the fun of it. What I found interesting, and may explain why some of the first time players didn’t find a couple of items early on, is on leaving the office Tex is walked to Chelsee automatically and from there, having got his date, is automatically sent to Nilo at the Ritz. Neither of these things happen in gamer mode.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

With only about 24 hours left before we start on Day 3, let me once again ask a few questions about what you have accomplished / your choices in Day 2.

1: Did you bring Chelsee with you to the Fuchsia Flamingo?

Or did you go alone?

2: Did you drown your sorrows in Bourbon after being dumped by Chelsee Embarassed

And conduct the interview with the poor girl while being both intoxicated and in a foul mood?

Or was Chelsee a bit more understanding

or not with you at all, and you conducted the interview in a professional and compassionate manner befitting for interviewing a lady in fear of her life?

3: Did you get rewarded with a nice little romantic interlude with Chelsee in your office at the very beginning of Day 3?

4: Did you find the body of David Wright?

and a 100 year old very interesting film?

(What? You didn’t think I would reveal what is on the film without using spoilers, did you?)

* Warning contains spoilers about objectives you might not only not have done yet, but also haven’t realised you need to do, so fell free to skip this part *

5: Did you redeem Malloy’s receipt at Rook’s pawn shop?

6: Did you get the items Malloy had in storage?

7: Did you gain access to Rusty’s Fun House?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

And let me start by answering those questions myself.

1: With Chelsee of course, who wouldn’t?
It is only in hindsight you realise mixing work with pleasure might not be such a good idea, besides it was no longer possible for me not to do it.

2: Dumped, drunk and dumb.
I know I am going to regret this later though, I should really have been nicer to her.

3: Eh… No!
She just dumped me, remember?

4: Yes
5: Yes
6: Yes
7: Eh… It didn’t even occur to me before someone else mentioned it, though I knew I would need to do it at some point. There is no clues leading us there - Yet!

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Right, just hit the start of Day 3.

Izno, I’ll respond to your further questions tomorrow.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 20 March 2014 02:59 PM

BTW How many others of you (except for those that know better) spent hours fruitlessly searching through trash cans etc in back alleys?

I have opened the lid of every trashcan and threw open the covers of every dumpster in every alley and every staircase. All to find nothing!

I’m taking a break tonight. Will start Day Three tomorrow.

Iz - When is the Day 3 end date?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top