• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleDinahPence

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #27: Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 31 May 2014 10:51 PM

3) The Dark Side = Wilco?? (Not quite sure whether it is 2 or 3 based on you description, but I will assume the worst)

Yes, that was my ending, completely Dark Side.
Also got the clown ending in my other playthrough…
Went through youtube to see the other endings, perfect ending is clearly the best one, sweet dinner and cowgirl at the end. Holo-date is kind of depressing and weird (Jayne Mansfield and Anna Nicole Smith? What?).

Never played BD, but I’m very curious, just waiting for a re-release.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 01 June 2014 09:02 AM

Reagan! It is possible for Reagan to have gotten into the same chamber as Tex. There could be other parts of the temple that Tex didn’t find and one of those may have tipped Reagan into the tunnel elsewhere but it meets up with the tunnel that Tex went down. Stretching it a bit I know.

I guess that is possible

Malloy/Cross/Reagan/Witt (Izno forgot about him Smile).

Yes, I completely forgot about Witt, but he also doesn’t appear in that last scene in the jungle. Perhaps he got lost and is still wandering aimlessly around in the jungle, or perhaps he just hid when he saw Cross.

Couple of oddities in case nobody noticed them.

I never noticed all of that.

And the fire room, apart from being a pain is physically impossible and has always been the worst part of PD for me because of that.

I guess the impossibility of that should also have been included in my rant Wink But it has always felt like something artificial added to the game, and not as a puzzle that fits naturally into the game, so I have never really given it a second thought.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Iznogood - 16 May 2014 06:01 PM

Tip of the day: You can get a map of the maze pretty early in this chapter, once you have the map, I find it much easier to navigate the maze if I make a screenshot of the map and print it out on paper.

I read this when you posted it and promptly forgot it. Izno, I really should read your posts at least twice!

I’ve been pondering the story since finishing the game. I watched the other endings on youtube. Here are some theories.

The aliens are shapeshifters. Fitzpatrick showed us this when, outside the spaceship, he suddenly shifted into his alien shape to reveal his true form to Tex, and then shifted back again. That means that, under most circumstances, the aliens would look perfectly human. I think it also explains Fitzpatrick’s question to Tex – “Who are you?” – he was wondering if Tex was also an alien.

The aliens are concerned about Earth, but they don’t have reliable contact with Earth from their home planet. I think the ship that crashed in the Roswell incident was returning to check up on the spaceship in the Mayan ruins. The crash happened so quickly that they didn’t have time to shift into human form, so their true nature was revealed.

Fitzpatrick – who claims to be the son of an alien and a human woman – seems to be continuing the aliens’ quest to find the mother ship in the Mayan ruins. But he doesn’t know exactly where it’s located, and doesn’t seem able to contact his home planet to get that information. He waits for Malloy’s research to be complete –- which means keeping tabs on Malloy and figuring out where he disappeared to, once he does disappear. He has to wait for the Pandora Device to be put together in order to get to the ship. I think that Fitzpatrick must be the son of a (long-lived) alien who somehow escaped the Roswell crash and went into hiding. Either that, or the aliens have survived, hidden among humans, since the time of the Mayans, and Fitzpatrick is a descendant.

The Roswell entity (sentient weapon) I now think is a sort of security device. If the Roswell aliens hadn’t crashed and had located their mother ship and decided not to either take it back home or destroy it, they needed something to keep it more secure. It’s in an obscure area, and apparently parts of the ship are easily accessible only to someone with alien DNA (the handprint reader). But human technology is getting better and better, and the rainforest is being explored/cut down, making it more likely that someone would stumble across the ship. The sentient weapon (assuming it can be set to guard a certain set perimeter, and not be unleashed into a wider geographical area) would make the mother ship more secure. Instead, due to the crash, it was making Roswell more “secure.”

Jackson Cross accuses Regan of selling out her father, and she denies that she did. In her mind, I suspect she sees herself as simply trying to use her father’s research to make some money. She refuses to admit to herself that the minute she contacted Cross about what her father knew, she had placed her father (and everyone else who received a piece of the Pandora Device) in danger. Cross was monitoring Tex as soon as Tex got involved. And I think it does mean that the NSA agents working for Cross followed Tex to get Malloy.

By involving Cross, Regan has made it impossible for humans to get the anti-hydrogen into the hands of those who would use it wisely. With Cross there and threatening everyone with a gun, Fitzpatrick had no choice but to destroy the spaceship. Essentially, Regan’s greed can be blamed for the deaths of everyone in the game who got in the way of Cross/the NSA. This is the face of evil!

Izno—great job leading this CPT! I’ve enjoyed it tremendously.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Some nice theories Becky, I agree that Regan is the ultimate backstabber and villain in this one.

Becky - 02 June 2014 06:14 PM

Fitzpatrick – who claims to be the son of an alien and a human woman – seems to be continuing the aliens’ quest to find the mother ship in the Mayan ruins. But he doesn’t know exactly where it’s located, and doesn’t seem able to contact his home planet to get that information. He waits for Malloy’s research to be complete –- which means keeping tabs on Malloy and figuring out where he disappeared to, once he does disappear. He has to wait for the Pandora Device to be put together in order to get to the ship. I think that Fitzpatrick must be the son of a (long-lived) alien who somehow escaped the Roswell crash and went into hiding. Either that, or the aliens have survived, hidden among humans, since the time of the Mayans, and Fitzpatrick is a descendant.

This one is kind of mindblowing because I never noticed Fitzpatrick is the son of an alien and a human woman. I just assumed he was a lost alien. Where can we see Fitzpatrick backstory? Best ending?

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Wilco—in the spaceship sequence, after Fitzpatrick and Tex enter the spaceship, Fitzpatrick whispers a bit of information to Tex. I don’t remember if it’s before Regan and Cross arrive inside the ship, or if it’s while Regan and Cross are inside the engine room and Tex and Fitzpatrick are still outside. He says he’s the son of an alien and a woman from Nebraska. (Why Nebraska? We’ll never know.) In my game, Cross fatally shoots Fitzpatrick as Fitzpatrick is closing the door to trap Cross and Regan. Tex then has to solve the puzzle to launch the ship, and manages to get out just in time.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Becky - 03 June 2014 09:12 AM

Wilco—in the spaceship sequence, after Fitzpatrick and Tex enter the spaceship, Fitzpatrick whispers a bit of information to Tex. I don’t remember if it’s before Regan and Cross arrive inside the ship, or if it’s while Regan and Cross are inside the engine room and Tex and Fitzpatrick are still outside. He says he’s the son of an alien and a woman from Nebraska. (Why Nebraska? We’ll never know.) In my game, Cross fatally shoots Fitzpatrick as Fitzpatrick is closing the door to trap Cross and Regan. Tex then has to solve the puzzle to launch the ship, and manages to get out just in time.

Thumbs Up Thanks, either I didn’t get the talk in my ending or I spaced out and didn’t noticed it but that’s what a community playthrough is for Smile

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

I’m so glad you all had this PT - I found the forum by searching for the solution to one of the [s]moronic [/s][s]annoying [/s][s]ridiculous [/s]clever puzzle boxes.
First time I ever played a Tex Murphy game! Can’t believe I missed these in my youth in the adventure game prime era. I actually think I had a cracked copy of UAKM, but I never got it to work ... ah well.

It was a great game, very original plot. I wish they made long, storybased games like these still ...  Meh

Happy gaming!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top