• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

broken age initial thoughts

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Everything I’ve seen shows Broken Age doing decent sales numbers. Not game development redefining numbers, but anyone expecting that was also guilty of wishful thinking.

So I don’t know where the idea of disappointing sales numbers are coming from.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I guess some people were hoping BA would have been a smash hit rather than slow burner just because of all the good press it got during the production. Personally I was expecting numbers around 150k sold copies.

The current numbers aren’t disastrous though and the tablet versions will propably sell much better than the PC version, especially if the prize it right.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

tomimt - 16 April 2014 02:50 AM

What comes to sales numbers it’s pretty telling that Broken Age is among the better sellers in the recent Kickstarter adventure boom. I doubt Moebius manages to make a even a fraction of the sales Broken Age or Broken Sword have.

I think you are spot on. Going through the larger titles: Moebius isn’t going to be a hit. The question now is how badly it will bomb. Larry Reloaded… WTH? So much promise there, and it became a missed opportunity. Broken Sword pleases series fans, and I think they should be commended for a competent job with Ep. 1 (especially the graphics!), even if it’s not a masterpiece.

But back to Broken Age. I just don’t think it was a game anyone was really crying out for. We wanted a new game in the tradition of the Schafer comedy classics. Not… this.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Oscar - 15 April 2014 08:53 PM

With The Cave and now Broken Age I almost feel adventure games have passed Schafer and Gilbert by.

Let’s not even talk about Ron Gilbert.  I hold him single-handedly responsible for the death of the adventure game.  That well-known article he wrote about all of the problems with and solutions to adventure game design has been picked up and taken as gospel by all of the worst adventure game developers of the contemporary era.  He’s the one who formally prescribed the dumbing down of adventure games as the solution to making them mass marketable.  I don’t care if he was right or not.  He killed the art, dammit!  Wink

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

OrionO - 16 April 2014 03:21 AM
tomimt - 16 April 2014 02:50 AM

What comes to sales numbers it’s pretty telling that Broken Age is among the better sellers in the recent Kickstarter adventure boom. I doubt Moebius manages to make a even a fraction of the sales Broken Age or Broken Sword have.

I think you are spot on. Going through the larger titles: Moebius isn’t going to be a hit. The question now is how badly it will bomb. Larry Reloaded… WTH? So much promise there, and it became a missed opportunity. Broken Sword pleases series fans, and I think they should be commended for a competent job with Ep. 1 (especially the graphics!), even if it’s not a masterpiece.

But back to Broken Age. I just don’t think it was a game anyone was really crying out for. We wanted a new game in the tradition of the Schafer comedy classics. Not… this.

I think Revolution Software are a good studio, but they’ve made nothing but Broken Sword for years. Would be nice to see them do something else now.

I sort of think you’re right about Broken Age. The kickstarter simply said a point & click adventure game and that’s what backers got.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

You mean like the new game in the tradition of the Schafer comedy classics we got?

Seriously, it takes some serious blinders to pretend Broken Age isn’t exactly what it was promised to be. It may not be to your personal tastes, but that doesn’t mean anything.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Jim Purcell - 16 April 2014 03:53 AM

You mean like the new game in the tradition of the Schafer comedy classics we got?

Seriously, it takes some serious blinders to pretend Broken Age isn’t exactly what it was promised to be. It may not be to your personal tastes, but that doesn’t mean anything.

What I’m saying is that a lot of people were hoping for a DOTT-like game. You didn’t think the backer enthusiasm for Broken Age appeared, while polite overall, increasingly muted over time as it became clearer what the game was going to be like? Lack of enthusiasm among not just backers, but also potential customers following the development, probably wasn’t what it could have been by the time the first episode came out.

I think it’s great you are pleased as punch with all things Broken Age. But, if you asked people, back when the Double Fine Kickstarter ended, what they were hoping for, I believe most would have said something along the lines of DOTT-style humor.

Give Schafer credit for some risk-taking in going against what he had to know was the desire of many potential customers and fans. Unfortunately, that choice probably led to less sales.

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

DOTT isn’t the end-all, be-all adventure game model. DOTT is great, fantastic even. But when I backed Double Fine Adventure, I wasn’t hoping for a complete retread of the past. I wanted to see a new story, a new sense of humor, a new style. That was as different as DOTT was from Full Throttle, and Full Throttle from Grim Fandango. With familiar LucasArt gameplay, refined for a modern age.

I never for MOMENT expected to get a game on the scale of DOTT or Grim Fandango. Not for the few million that were raised. Of course I also expected to get less then what we’re getting. So lucky me I guess.

Am I disappointed some of the puzzles weren’t a tad more complex? Yes. But that’s not a deal breaker when the presentation is so well put together.

OrionO - 16 April 2014 04:18 AM

Give Schafer credit for some risk-taking in going against what he had to know was the desire of many potential customers and fans. Unfortunately, that choice probably led to less sales.

Because the established desires of the Adventure Game old guard has done so much for Adventure Game sales over the last 16 year. Clearly catering to their esoteric tastes would have lead to so much money pouring in Double Fine would have had to build giant furnaces just to burn all the excess cash.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Jim Purcell - 16 April 2014 04:29 AM

Because the established desires of the Adventure Game old guard has done so much for Adventure Game sales over the last 16 year. Clearly cratering their esoteric tastes would have lead to so much money pouring in Double Fine would have had to build giant furnaces just to burn all the excess cash.

To be fair, there have been very few truly GREAT adventure games in the last 16 years that have been worth spending any money on.  I will always buy great games if people make them.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Well, for what’s it worth, I still do think Broken Age did a lot more things right than it did wrong. Even the half we have of it now is better than most of the current adventure games out there. And I still think it’s the best Kickstarter funded adventure game at the moment.

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Broken Age did something that very few video game’s have ever done, and legitimately surprised me with its story twist. For that alone its one of the better game experiences I’ve had this year.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jim Purcell - 16 April 2014 03:53 AM

It’s also in the tradition of what we’ve been consistently served up by the AG industry since 2000 - a plodding storyline, tedious gameplay, an enjoyable but overall forgettable experience. If the backers thought they would be getting exactly that, they’d be better off sticking with the top 4 or 5 AGs released each year (on display in the Aggie awards) which are much better than Broken Age.

Seriously, go and watch their kickstarter video again. They use the DOTT interface, implied criticism of modern AGs (“only in Germany”) and lots of nostalgia to create the impression they’d be making something similar to the old classics.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I can’t agree with anything you say about Broken Age. I already played it a second time, and I didn’t find it tedious to play then either. And I find many moments of the game to be unforgettable. The opening shot, the spoon, the end, the cloud colony, the lumber jack, the barfing tree, Mog Chothra, the (s)mothering A.I., the yarn pals,...
Maybe it’s forgettable to you, I don’t know how your brain works after all. Wink But it’s not to me.
In the video game medium Broken Age is also an utterly unique kind of story: a coming of age story. I guess Beyond: Two Souls might also count as an coming of age story, but eh, I rather would not count it. Wink

Gosh, are you reading too much into the Kickstarter video. That adventure games exist only in our dreams, memories and in Germany wasn’t really so far off from the truth, considering the quantitative output from German adventure game developers, but, more importantly, the size of the commercial market for adventure games in Germany. I don’t think Tim Schafer thought of the Daedalic games when he said that, because I don’t think he has played any of them. I also think he meant more the playerbase rather than adventure game makers because I don’t think he meant to say that no good recent examples of adventure games, like Machinarium, exist outside of Germany.
How do you read into that a criticism of modern adventure games? Please, stop grasping at straws! Pan

And I never got the impression Tim wanted to do a retro throwback, that would have been atypical of him anyway. I expected Tim to make another Tim Schafer adventure game, and an old-school (or classic, I consider those terms to be synonymous) one at that. And he did that.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve personally always been a bit amazed that adventure games have been so popular in Germany. Everywhere else the genre fell through the cracks, but from some reason german developers really did manage to stay afloat in their own market area.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

I guess some people don’t like Broken Age, because it’s quite different than Schafer’s previous games and they were expecting something more similar than his earlier work. I’m one of those people, personally I don’t like Broken Age, but I know that it’s a matter of personal taste and it doesn’t mean that there’s something wrong with the game. I don’t find the story interesting at all, and while I understand the graphics and animations are really professional, I just really dislike the trendy children book art style.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top