• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieshanethewolfzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

broken age initial thoughts

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Blackthorne - 22 January 2014 01:57 PM

Pixar films are made for children - they’re the demographic that ADULTS spend their money on to get them in the seats. There is material in there to appease adults, but post “Cars (2006)”, its been a pure cash grab, put kid’s butts in the seats.

Bt

The first 20 minutes of “Up” are definitely NOT for kids, wheck, not even adults can take that punch (it surely got me)

Edit: About Broken Age, it has a resemblance to Pixar in a way that it’s made to appeal to every ages, like Psychonauts, costume quest, monkey island, grim fandango

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The Incredibles was probably their last really amazing film.  Now, if we had an adventure game more like The Incredibles?  That would be pretty great!

Bt

I agree, The Incredibles was amazing, possibly their best movie ever. Some of the scenes there was just breathtakingly impressive. I haven’t been too keen on anything they’ve done after that (I thought Cars and Wall-E was terrible), with the exception of Ratatoille, which I really liked. Then again, I’m quite above averagely interested in cooking, which is Ratatoille’s theme. An adventure game like The Incredibles, now that’s a thought! Smile

As for the thread’s topic, I’ve allready posted my impressions of the game in the “DFA Adventure is.. Broken Age” -thread, but it is probably not very noticeable in the middle of the heated “the puzzles are too easy” - argument Wink I’ll make it short here:

Delightful game overall. Great writing, fantastic voice acting, good background art, excellent musical arrangements, not too fond of the character art, easy puzzles and too little interactivity. Looking very much forward to Act 2, and here’s hoping that some of the communities’ complaints will be adressed by then.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Pixar films are made for children - they’re the demographic that ADULTS spend their money on to get them in the seats.

I think you’re being blinded by the form their movies come in. Just because they’re animated, doesn’t make them for children. The average child won’t take the first fifteen minutes of Up as a jackhammer to the face. The average child will miss the general plot of Cars (which is really about the abandonment of Route 66 and the dire state the remaining residents are in) in favour of the pretty colours. Not to mention the insanely dark abandonment theme of Toy Story 3.
Calling The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Cars, Up, Toy Story 3 and Wall-E children’s movies is severely shortchanging them, imo.

But we should really be talking about Broken Age, not Pixar.
And yes, I do believe Broken Age is aimed at adults as well…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d say some of the Pixar movies are aimed more towards children, but some of them have much larger audiences in mind. I don’t think Wall-E for an example was made purely just for children and neither was UP. Cars on the other hand propably was made for kids, though I couldn’t say as I haven’t seen it due to lack of interest towards talking cars.

And the Incredibles is not only among the best superhero movies, but it also is the best non-Bond Bond movie.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

TimovieMan - 22 January 2014 12:48 PM

Actually, I think Pixar movies are exactly the opposite: made for adults but with elements that a younger audience can also enjoy. Wink

Well, I guess depends on the movie. I had finding nemo in my mind when I said that, which is kind of a stretch to call an “adult” movie made to appeal to younger audience.

I guess it’s a very long discussion and it depends on each person’s view point.

Anyway, it’s been a few years so I decided to start replaying Grim Fandango and even from the first 30 minutes it’s quite clear to me that it’s more adult oriented and a younger gamer won’t be able to enjoy playing it as much as he/she would broken age. It has much more mature story/dialog, it’s more dense, darker, it has more emotional impact etc. Broken age is more lighthearted and charming which generally appeals more to younger people (or women).

Anyway, my point is they have a different approach, neither is necessarily better than the other but personally I prefer something closer to grim fandango.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Keregioz - 22 January 2014 03:21 PM
TimovieMan - 22 January 2014 12:48 PM

Actually, I think Pixar movies are exactly the opposite: made for adults but with elements that a younger audience can also enjoy. Wink

Well, I guess depends on the movie. I had finding nemo in my mind when I said that, which is kind of a stretch to call an “adult” movie made to appeal to younger audience.

Finding Nemo is essentially a meditation on what it means to be a parent.

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

noknowncure - 22 January 2014 03:28 PM

Umm…okay…?

You can take any child’s fairy tale and find a deeper profound meaning behind it, it’s still a child’s fairytale.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Keregioz - 22 January 2014 03:35 PM
noknowncure - 22 January 2014 03:28 PM

Umm…okay…?

You can take any child’s fairy tale and find a deeper profound meaning behind it, it’s still a child’s fairytale.

Parenthood is genuinely the central theme of Finding Nemo. That’s not really a theme that’s going to resonate with just kids, is it?

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

noknowncure - 22 January 2014 03:48 PM

Parenthood is genuinely the central theme of Finding Nemo. That’s not really a theme that’s going to resonate with just kids, is it?

Well, I never said it’s just for kids.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Keregioz - 22 January 2014 03:58 PM

But would you agree or disagree that ‘difficulties of parenthood’ is a central theme that would probably mean more to adults?

This conversation is off topic I guess, but it is interesting to read people’s perceptions of the form through which a story like Broken Age - or, indeed, something like Finding Nemo - is presented.

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

noknowncure - 22 January 2014 04:13 PM

But would you agree or disagree that ‘difficulties of parenthood’ is a central theme that would probably mean more to adults?

This conversation is off topic I guess, but it is interesting to read people’s perceptions of the form through which a story like Broken Age - or, indeed, something like Finding Nemo - is presented.

Well, it’s not how I perceived it, but maybe I’m the wrong person to ask. I generally watch/play/read movies/games/books at face value, I rarely try to find deeper meanings. I enjoyed “nemo” for what it is, it never crossed my mind what was the deeper meaning/theme that the movie tried to convey.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Keregioz - 22 January 2014 04:20 PM

Well, it’s not how I perceived it, but maybe I’m the wrong person to ask. I generally watch/play/read movies/games/books at face value, I rarely try to find deeper meanings. I enjoyed “nemo” for what it is, it never crossed my mind what was the deeper meaning/theme that the movie tried to convey.

Fair enough. You’re obviously completely entitled to your own readings. As I say, I’m just interested in perceptions of media. Thanks for your answers.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

wilco - 22 January 2014 02:09 PM

The first 20 minutes of “Up” are definitely NOT for kids, wheck, not even adults can take that punch (it surely got me)

You are absolutely right there.  That first 20 minutes of up slays me every time. Saw it in the theatres with my wife. Crap, that was rough.

I think you’re being blinded by the form their movies come in. Just because they’re animated, doesn’t make them for children. The average child won’t take the first fifteen minutes of Up as a jackhammer to the face. The average child will miss the general plot of Cars (which is really about the abandonment of Route 66 and the dire state the remaining residents are in) in favour of the pretty colours. Not to mention the insanely dark abandonment theme of Toy Story 3.
Calling The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Cars, Up, Toy Story 3 and Wall-E children’s movies is severely shortchanging them, imo.

Tim, if you read my full post, you’d note that I said the Incredibles was their last amazing film.  Wall-E was decent, but not great, Ratatouille is over-rated, Cars 2 and Monster University are just… not right, and I still can’t get the horrible taste of Brave out of my mouth.  Toy Story 3 had it’s moments, for sure - but it wasn’t amazing.  The films are there to put kid’s butts in the seats, and the more sophisticated parts of those films have been slowly eroding.  I’m not looking forward to a Finding Nemo sequel at all.

I’m not mis-judging them because of their medium at all, as I’ve been a fan of animated works for a long-long time and I definitely know not everything, say, Chuck Jones did was meant for children.  Mostly Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes shorts ran before regular films at theatres in the past.

Bt

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Keregioz - 22 January 2014 03:58 PM

Likewise, coming-of-age is a theme that should appeal more strongly to someone who has already come of age. Although a small kid can probably play the game and enjoy it, I don’t think they’d appreciate it the way an adult can.

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

Frogacuda - 22 January 2014 06:42 PM

Likewise, coming-of-age is a theme that should appeal more strongly to someone who has already come of age. Although a small kid can probably play the game and enjoy it, I don’t think they’d appreciate it the way an adult can.

Technically, it should appeal more to kids who are in the process of “coming-of-age”.

Still, “coming-of-age” is a pretty vague theme description as far as tone goes. Doesn’t mean anything by itself. Two games/movies can have a “Coming-of-age” theme and still have a completely different tone.

In my opinion the tone in broken age tends to favor a younger audience.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top