• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

broken age initial thoughts

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

I just saw this posted up on the Broken Age Backer forum.

Here’s a Rock Paper Shotgun playthrough/interview with Tim Schafer, which I’m watching now and finding very interesting. He talks about some of the issues people have been discussing on these boards, such as Broken Age’s streamlined interface, easy puzzles, the tone of the game, etc.

The introductory scenes of Vella’s story is shown, so expect a few spoilers.

Edit: Oops, just Vella’s story

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’d like to get this game on the ipad, it seems to me that on a small touch screen this game would truly be amazing.

Until then, I have to watch the game on utube and drool. The initial impressions and reviews from everyone point to the type of game I want to play, one filled with interesting characters and an unusual and interesting plotline.

The graphics - like Broken Sword 5 are a little retro - but that actually adds to the game’s charm.

The fact that this game has four active threads points to the impact this game has had so far - and it is a quite positive one.

The nice part is that it should be out for the ipad shortly, I’d like it to be the first game I play on the device when I get it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Stacking can be cute and childish from looks but heavy in tones , BA aint that.
Infact BA is even more childish than CostumeQuest.

Them animatronics and talking trees, birds dont help the case either. Frown

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Blackthorne - 22 January 2014 06:36 PM

Tim, if you read my full post, you’d note that I said the Incredibles was their last amazing film.  Wall-E was decent, but not great, Ratatouille is over-rated, Cars 2 and Monster University are just… not right, and I still can’t get the horrible taste of Brave out of my mouth.  Toy Story 3 had it’s moments, for sure - but it wasn’t amazing.  The films are there to put kid’s butts in the seats, and the more sophisticated parts of those films have been slowly eroding.  I’m not looking forward to a Finding Nemo sequel at all.

I wanna reply to this, but that would take the thread further off-topic. So, PM sent. Wink

And now for something completely different:

Broken Age!!! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2010-12-03

PM

To take this thread back on topic, my initial thoughts on Broken Age were ‘wow this looks great’ ‘wow this has some great ideas’ and then ‘wow this writing is bad’.

I know Schaffer’s games have always been verbose, but there’s no reason for so much useless text. Good writing should tell me a lot of things in as concise and evocative way as possible, not spread it all out over long, laborious, unskippable voice acting.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Jyn - 25 January 2014 07:44 AM

To take this thread back on topic, my initial thoughts on Broken Age were ‘wow this looks great’ ‘wow this has some great ideas’ and then ‘wow this writing is bad’.

I know Schaffer’s games have always been verbose, but there’s no reason for so much useless text. Good writing should tell me a lot of things in as concise and evocative way as possible, not spread it all out over long, laborious, unskippable voice acting.

I didn’t think the writing was as good as Schafer’s has been in past works, but for different reasons. Can you give any examples of what you mean?

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I second this request. Wut?

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Poor writing is the worst flaw of this game, even more than “puzzles”.

I’m quite disappointed with this release, more than with any other major kickstarter (high expectations didn’t help either).

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

No one wants to explain themselves. *sigh*
Well, I understand, I don’t want to most the time either…

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I thought the writing was excellent. I clicked on and tried everything I could, even stuff I knew wouldn’t pan out, just to hear what Shay and Vella had to say. Great situational comedy, too - Shay’s entire existence is amusing.

Beyond the spoken lines, the story set-up and what’s happening “between the lines” seems pretty clever too. There’s stuff going on under the surface that I didn’t even pick up on the first time I played it, and I love that kind of thing.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

To me it felt like a character comedy without much character or comedy. There was quite a number of jokes, but the majority felt flat and too in-your-face, like the game was made with kids in mind. Same with the characters, like they were taken straight from Hanna-Barbera or Nickelodeon TV series. So yeah, the writing wasn’t up to Schafer’s standards. Although it’s quality, not quantity that was disappointing.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

I don’t think the quality had anything to do with it being made with kids in mind - and anyway, many kids shows these days have funnier ideas than some, supposedly, adult shows - it simply wasn’t as overtly humorous as previous Schafer works. There were funny ideas in there, but the big laughs were thin on the ground.

If people don’t offer an explanation to their complaint, I think ‘poor writing’ just means ‘I didn’t like it’.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I thought the writing was excellent.  In this matter, if someone doesn’t like it, it’s definitely a matter of taste compared to quality.

Bt

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-01-18

PM

I also thought the writing was excellent and allot of the jokes had double meaning. This has been the first adventure that has drawn me in playing it since a long time. About only the old adventures pulled me in like that.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Blackthorne - 27 January 2014 12:19 PM

I thought the writing was excellent.  In this matter, if someone doesn’t like it, it’s definitely a matter of taste compared to quality.

But I compare it to other Schafer’s games in the first place that were a blast 5-10-15 years ago. There is such standard as “a Schafer’s game”, and BA simply doesn’t meet it.

noknowncure - 27 January 2014 10:11 AM

I don’t think the quality had anything to do with it being made with kids in mind - and anyway, many kids shows these days have funnier ideas than some, supposedly, adult shows - it simply wasn’t as overtly humorous as previous Schafer works. There were funny ideas in there, but the big laughs were thin on the ground.

Kids shows are kids shows; you watch one on your coffee break and immediately forget about it. Then watch a Gilliam or McDonagh comedy and keep thinking about it for years.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top