• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Should I know who that is, Timovieman?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

And he’s not going to tell me who it is. Jesus.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 02 August 2014 06:26 AM

Should I know who that is, Timovieman?

Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver. It’s one of cinema’s most iconic scenes ever. See here. (Naturally it’s better if you experience the entire film and watch the scene in context.)

Edit:

Karlok - 02 August 2014 06:38 AM

And he’s not going to tell me who it is. Jesus.

Patience, young grasshopper. Wink

Need me to explain that reference as well? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks, now my puzzle of the day is what my question to Zifnab had to do with a murdering psychopath in Taxi Driver (yeah, I did see it many years ago) or a De Niro I didn’t recognize because he was still wet-behind-the-ears in that movie.

One puzzle a day is enough, I’ll start thinking about the grasshopper tomorrow.

EDIT: Okay, I watched the scene, I get it now. Cool Too bad I’m not a murdering psychopath.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

wilco - 02 August 2014 06:02 AM

It gets better after Sesen and the beach house, slows down on the hidden object stuff.

Okay, but this game is certainly no Pandora Directive. In the part with the monks walking around suddenly I’m supposed to find 7 letters (which I’ve done) as some kind of password without there being anywhere to enter them in. Come on Mr Jones, at least make your puzzles make sense.

I’m guessing the lock for the password is in the locked armoire, whose key I have to find by going around with a flashlight in the dark. But how does Tex know that?

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Karlok - 02 August 2014 06:47 AM

Thanks, now my puzzle of the day is what my question to Zifnab had to do with a murdering psychopath in Taxi Driver (yeah, I did see it many years ago) or a De Niro I didn’t recognize because he was still wet-behind-the-ears in that movie.

One puzzle a day is enough, I’ll start thinking about the grasshopper tomorrow.

EDIT: Okay, I watched the scene, I get it now. Cool Too bad I’m not a murdering psychopath.

‘You talkin’ to me?’ Is one of the most quoted pieces of pop culture of the 20th century. I’m literally flabbergasted that you seem to lack familiarity with it’s context.

I’ve never seen Taxi Driver and I know what the gag is!

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jim Purcell - 02 August 2014 07:47 AM

‘You talkin’ to me?’ Is one of the most quoted pieces of pop culture of the 20th century.

Worldwide? Just asking. Tongue This is an international forum, you know.

I’m literally flabbergasted that you seem to lack familiarity with it’s context.

I’ve never seen Taxi Driver and I know what the gag is!

Jesus, I’m getting a lot of flack for trying to help someone who asked a question and ignored my reply. I’m having second thoughts about finding one of my Bad Mojo saves to help him out.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 02 August 2014 07:52 AM
Jim Purcell - 02 August 2014 07:47 AM

‘You talkin’ to me?’ Is one of the most quoted pieces of pop culture of the 20th century.

Worldwide? Just asking. Tongue

Yes Wink
Right up there with “Do you fell lucky punk?”

TimovieMan - 02 August 2014 06:39 AM

Patience, young grasshopper. Wink

Need me to explain that reference as well? Tongue

That one is a bit trickier, as it seem to originate from an obscure 70’s TV series that no one has actually ever seen (at least outside of the USA).

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 02 August 2014 07:58 AM

Yes Wink

Bullshit. But I’m not surprised I’m getting more flack from YOU. Were you even born when that movie was made? Seems to me that it’s only a popular quote among people who didn’t experience those days. Show me where it’s one of the most quoted pieces of pop culture of the 20th century IN MY COUNTRY.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That one is a bit trickier, as it seem to originate from an obscure 70’s TV series that no one has actually ever seen (at least outside of the USA).

I’ve seen some episodes when I was a teenager, and I’m outside of the USA. Tongue
But it’s become a meme as well, so it still stands.
Would you like me to use the Star Wars variant “Patience, young padawan” instead? Smile

Funny thing, I was going to ask to end the off-topic references after this post, but frankly, aren’t pop culture references an integral part of the Tex Murphy games? Cool

Karlok - 02 August 2014 08:00 AM

Yes Wink

Bullshit.

I’d say it IS a worldwide popular reference, though, as I’ve been using it occasionally since my teen years, before I had even seen Taxi Driver or had internet access. But I’m a movie geek, so I’m more susceptible to these kinds of references.
It’s a popular meme all over the internet, though, as the movie (and that scene) is kind of legendary.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 02 August 2014 07:23 AM

Okay, but this game is certainly no Pandora Directive. In the part with the monks walking around suddenly I’m supposed to find 7 letters (which I’ve done) as some kind of password without there being anywhere to enter them in. Come on Mr Jones, at least make your puzzles make sense.

I’m guessing the lock for the password is in the locked armoire, whose key I have to find by going around with a flashlight in the dark. But how does Tex know that?

It’s pretty obvious where you have to enter the password, and if I remember correctly you can’t pick up the letters before you find the place where you need to use it first. But perhaps doing some things in a different order than what I did, can lead to some logical holes here.

This hole part with the monks never did bother me, though it took quite a long time before I figured out how to get the last letter.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 02 August 2014 08:06 AM

Funny thing, I was going to ask to end the off-topic references after this post,

WHAT?!? Who started it? You people are incredible.
I really should stop posting at AG.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 02 August 2014 08:08 AM
TimovieMan - 02 August 2014 08:06 AM

Funny thing, I was going to ask to end the off-topic references after this post,

WHAT?!? Who started it? You people are incredible.

I’m not denying my own guilt in this (and that would have been reflected in what I would have posted before I thought of the Tex Murphy pop culture link), but it definitely wouldn’t have been a “stop it or else” remark. It’d only been a few posts after all.
Also, I DIDN’T ask it, so the point is ultimately moot. Tongue

Nothing to fret over… Wink

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Yes Wink

Bullshit. But I’m not surprised I’m getting more flack from YOU. Were you even born when that movie was made? Seems to me that it’s only a popular quote among people who didn’t experience those days. Show me where it’s one of the most quoted pieces of pop culture of the 20th century IN MY COUNTRY.

Of course I was and it was widely quoted on its release.

And for god sake grow up and stop that “I’m being persecuted” act, it is getting really tiresome.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 02 August 2014 08:21 AM

Yes Wink

Of course I was and it was widely quoted on its release.

And for god sake grow up and stop that “I’m being persecuted” act, it is getting really tiresome.

Maybe you should reread your own stupid and incredibly unreasonable stuff to me when your Pandora Directive CP was threatened, before you start lecturing me about persecuting. You deliberately misunderstood my intentions and refused to discuss it. Go .... yourself.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top