• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-07-28

PM

Never having played a Tex Murphy game before, and I’m not sure where I should start; skip the older ones and start with Tesla Effect, or is the storyline in the older games too important too skip?
And what if I like Tesla Effect so much I’d want to replay the older ones, would that still be possible or will the story be spoiled already?

Thanks!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The story In Tesla Effect is independent from the previous games, though it does pick up on a cliff-hanger from overseer and has many returning characters from the previous games. It is best to play them in order, but it is in no way a requirement, and you will easily pick up on the things you need to know.

As for spoiling the previous games, then apart from the cliff-hanger in Overseer, it is as I said independent stories so I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

My recommendation would be to play Tesla Effect first, and see if you like it, before playing the older games. But if you know for a fact that you will end up playing the whole series, it is better to start with UaKM.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Iznogood - 14 May 2014 05:38 PM

The story In Tesla Effect is independent from the previous games, though it does pick up on a cliff-hanger from overseer and has many returning characters from the previous games. It is best to play them in order, but it is in no way a requirement, and you will easily pick up on the things you need to know.

As for spoiling the previous games, then apart from the cliff-hanger in Overseer, it is as I said independent stories so I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

My recommendation would be to play Tesla Effect first, and see if you like it, before playing the older games. But if you know for a fact that you will end up playing the whole series, it is better to start with UaKM.

I thought 50% of the game was a throw back to previous games? A lot of elements evne with the story tie into what we’ve experience in said games.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

As someone who has played none of the previous installments, I find the story completely accessible. Everything you need to know is recapped. And I don’t feel I’ve been too spoiled on previous installments. Though I do think I got a big one in one of the (optional) Easter Egg recap videos. But that’s okay.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

There’s a pretty big Pandora spoiler in one of the flashbacks. Totally unnecessary too.

I think the game is stronger if you have an existing connection to the characters. I would recommend playing at least one of the earlier games (either UAKM or PD).

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Waiting for a patch to solve the grphic problems so that I too can play th game. Supported it from kickstarter day one.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Frogacuda - 15 May 2014 07:04 AM

I think the game is stronger if you have an existing connection to the characters. I would recommend playing at least one of the earlier games (either UAKM or PD).

Funny thing is, thats the main reason why we got this game. Fans wanted another game and share their connection with Tex once again. Take that away and you have a good first person adventure game with 80% of the personal connection gone.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2014-02-01

PM

Well, I haven’t played any previous games in the series and I’m having a BLAST with Tesla Effect. I absolutely love every minute of it, despite not knowing anything about the story going in. So based on my experience alone, I’d say Tesla Effect is perfectly enjoyable to old-time fans and newcomers alike.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

smulan - 15 May 2014 08:35 AM

Waiting for a patch to solve the grphic problems so that I too can play th game. Supported it from kickstarter day one.

Which graphic problems are you experiencing? If you mean the no video/green screen video issue, did you try this guide? You can also contact BFG or try the BFG forums or AG’s Tesla Effect technical help thread, if you haven’t already.

Speaking more generally for anyone who doesn’t know, there is a list of known issues with Tesla Effect on the BFG forums here. Unfortunately it’s in the Backer Discussion forum and probably could use a duplicate in the public forum so non-backers can see it, too.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Ouch.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2014-02-01

PM

It’s a low score yes, but it’s from PC Gamer. So it’s excessively sensationalistic in tone—to the point of being unreadable—as usual.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

If you say so. Still, it’s a low score given by a fan of the series, maybe even the lowest so far.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

As a great appreciator of logic couldn’t help but snicker reading this comment:

“If it’s not half bad, it means the portion that is bad is less than half. Logic.”

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

My fav You-tuber has just started a play through of Tex

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

ozzie - 15 May 2014 02:54 PM

Ouch.

I think he is ridiculously critical. He claims to be a big Tex Murphy fan and then says the game is shitty because of - what - 3 logic puzzles in Sesan. I mean the Tex Murphy series always featured a lot of this types of puzzles, and now in Tesla Effect they are even skippable.
And I personally really liked the Tesla Society areal, it was very atmospheric and interesting to explore - exploring this kind of areals was a big part in adventure games of yesteryear and it wasn’t done like that in a long time.
This review reads more like a drunk rant than an actual review, it’s embarrasing.

Origami - 15 May 2014 03:46 PM

As a great appreciator of logic couldn’t help but snicker reading this comment:

“If it’s not half bad, it means the portion that is bad is less than half. Logic.”

Considering how bad this guy is at the most basic logic puzzles, it’s quite fitting. Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top