• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Question: was that James Earl Jones in the prologue? Or a sound alike? I know he did the prologues in the previous games, but wasn’t sure if they got him back Ron Perlman style.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

Jim Purcell - 09 May 2014 08:04 PM

Question: was that James Earl Jones in the prologue? Or a sound alike? I know he did the prologues in the previous games, but wasn’t sure if they got him back Ron Perlman style.

It is the voice of James Earl Jones.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

It was recycled from old UAKM recordings I’m pretty sure.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

Frogacuda - 09 May 2014 08:35 PM

It was recycled from old UAKM recordings I’m pretty sure.

Yes, from the original studio recordings.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I got the choppy audio issue Frown

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Me too. Makes the game unplayable for the moment. But they are looking in to thr problem, and I cerainly hope they will offer a patch or solution soon… Because this is by far the best kickstarter game so far, judging from what however little I’ve been able to play.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Thought this choppy audio was my computer having trouble playing it, glad that it’s not.

I hadn’t intended on playing this until holidays, as I have too much work, but I couldn’t resist… and now I just can’t put it down. This game is genuinely amazing. What a fantastic job they’ve done on it. My only complaint is that Tex’s speeder looks awful. Pretty much just a black textureless blob? I don’t know. The speeders look awesome in the FMV, though.

I just saw that there is a new review up, on Destructoid, can’t believe the low scores this game is getting. This is a genuinely top quality game. Not sure what could be done to improve it.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Toefur - 10 May 2014 07:48 AM

I just saw that there is a new review up, on Destructoid, can’t believe the low scores this game is getting. This is a genuinely top quality game. Not sure what could be done to improve it.

I mean there’s plenty you could improve. Dated graphics, it’s buggy… There are definite flaws in this game.

But just deducting points based on technical things like some reviewers do means you lose sight of what makes this game truly special. I think what so many reviewers are overlooking and what adventure gamers do not is just how immediately engaging this is compared to other adventure games (even mainstream stuff like Beyond or Walking Dead). It’s just a very charismatic game that’s easy to get sucked into and hard to put down.

Honestly, I know we have some heavy hitters coming later this year, especially Armikrog and Dreamfall, but I can’t imagine this not being game of the year. In fact, I’m pretty sure it’s going to be in my top 10 of all time.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-01-04

PM

The two reactions to the game I’ve seen so far are ‘this is straight out of the nineties’ and ‘this is straight out of the nineties AND IT IS EVERYTHING I WAITED SIXTEEN YEARS FOR, HOORAY!’

I’ve finished Day Three - going slowly on purpose - and I’m firmly in the latter camp so far. I guess that with a bigger budget they could have had better textures, but I don’t really care much. Hopefully the bugs will be squashed with time. (Unlike the bugs in the old games. There was one security card in Under a Killing Moon that just wasn’t there in my copy. Fortunately it wasn’t one you needed to finish the game, but my brother and I spent hours looking for the damn thing back in the day.)

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I didn’t finish the game yet (i’m in day 6) but I can say that it is already in my list of the 10 best games ever. Just to see Tex with his humour and clumbsiness is perfect to me. I want more Tex!!!

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-11-11

PM

The sales of this game must be abysmal… I haven’t seen it anywhere on Steam’s top sellers list and it seems to be gone from GOG’s one, too.

The lack of exposure isn’t helping. It really makes me angry, Tesla Effect is in another galaxy when it comes to quality compared to, say, rather underwhelming Broken Age or Telltale’s “movies”, yet pretty much every site apparently chose to pretend it doesn’t exist. I’m beginning to hate this industry and modern “gamers”, really.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Phaid - 10 May 2014 12:04 PM

The sales of this game must be abysmal… I haven’t seen it anywhere on Steam’s top sellers list and it seems to be gone from GOG’s one, too.

The lack of exposure isn’t helping. It really makes me angry, Tesla Effect is in another galaxy when it comes to quality compared to, say, rather underwhelming Broken Age or Telltale’s “movies”, yet pretty much every site apparently chose to pretend it doesn’t exist. I’m beginning to hate this industry and modern “gamers”, really.

It does look like the big sites aren’t really in any hurry covering Tesla. And that’s a shame. It really is a great game.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

It’s definately doing well on GOG. It was constantly in the Top 10 during pre-order and the best-selling game after launch. However it suddenly vanished from the list, so I think that’s just a sytem bug at gog.com.
It’s also still under the Top 30 best-selling adventure games on Steam, and that’s a very broad category there.

But it surely isn’t doing very well on the bigger gaming sites:
It only gets scores between 60 and 70. It think these scores are a pretty harsh: I mean some of these sites make some valid points but the only major complain popping up is that the graphics aren’t very good - and therefore they suddenly take 40 points of the score? They surely aren’t as brutal considering other low-polygon indie games - maybe it’s an inherent disliking of FMV games since all those big gaming sites keep constantely repeating how bad FMV games were. It’s a bit of a shame, seeing that games like Broken Age very praised to heavens on all these sites - and nothing against that game but Tesla Effect is definatly not that much worse than it.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I checked a minute ago. Tesla is there, 8th from the bottom, not counting freeware adventures. Moebius and Broken Age are only four and eight places higher respectively. I don’t know how much importance we should attach to GOG’s ranking. I mean, Myst number one for god knows how long, seriously?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a discrepancy with player ratings before. Everybody says they’re having a marvelous time. I’m sure there will be more reviews by main sites later. But the few official reviews don’t spell any good. Makes me sad, and I really don’t want to think about what Rockpapershotgun will have to say about Tesla. I just hope the reviewer won’t be Mr. Bloody Sarcasm.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I hate to say it, but if this game isn’t getting much attention from mainstream gaming websites, it’s likely a failure of marketing on Big Finish’s part, not “bias” from the gaming sites.  You have to court these people, send out press copies, etc. or your games will get ignored.  Not saying it’s RIGHT, but that’s just how the process works.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top