• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

I hope I am not hijacking the thread - I have all Tex games bought on GoG but I never tried to play them. Will GoG versions of UAKM, PD and Overseer work on modern machine (win7 64bit) without problems, or will I need some community patches and the like?

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

Simplex - 09 May 2014 01:36 AM

I hope I am not hijacking the thread - I have all Tex games bought on GoG but I never tried to play them. Will GoG versions of UAKM, PD and Overseer work on modern machine (win7 64bit) without problems, or will I need some community patches and the like?

GOG pages say that they’re all compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

Yeah, I just tried UAKM, it runs under DOSBox (obviously). Game is playable, however I am running into some issues such as screen tearing and camera starting to spin infinitely even when I stop touching the mouse, but that is probably not the discussion for this thread.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Frogacuda - 09 May 2014 01:00 AM

Tex does seem to know about things before he should at times. This game spells out puzzles more than the old games. Like, Tex will find a skeleton key and go “This looks like the key to an armoire” as if there’s any way to tell that by looking at it.

OK, cool. Yeah, sounds like a byproduct of them trying to make the game a little easier for people. I don’t mind that, necessarily.

Really looking forward to playing this a lot. It’s been a strangely packed month for adventure games, that’s for sure. Off the back of Broken Sword 5, which I loved, I started Moebius and was not at all compelled to continue, moved on to Blackwell Epiphany which has been amazing so far. Once that’s done it’s Tex time.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-10-30

PM

Puzzle spoilers for Day 5…

Can anyone help me with the “Egyptian Senet” puzzle? It says to not have more than two symbols in any row or column, but I did that and the puzzle did not complete. Then I thought maybe it also means diagonally, so I did that, but still it does not solve. I do not understand what to do, which makes it hard to do it!

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2006-09-09

PM

StingingVelvet - 09 May 2014 05:03 AM

Puzzle spoilers for Day 5…

Can anyone help me with the “Egyptian Senet” puzzle? It says to not have more than two symbols in any row or column, but I did that and the puzzle did not complete. Then I thought maybe it also means diagonally, so I did that, but still it does not solve. I do not understand what to do, which makes it hard to do it!

Treat the two sets of tokens as being separate - for each set, there can’t be more than one token from that set in any row/column/diagonal. Basically you’re solving the same puzzle twice on the same board!

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-10-30

PM

neilka - 09 May 2014 05:16 AM

Treat the two sets of tokens as being separate - for each set, there can’t be more than one token from that set in any row/column/diagonal. Basically you’re solving the same puzzle twice on the same board!

Thanks. The thing I wasn’t grasping was that there could be as many of the same symbol as you want in a row, just not more than one of each. I got it finally!

The game is getting a little tough, finally, which is nice. On gamer mode anyway.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Simplex - 09 May 2014 01:36 AM

They all work fine. Overseer has problems with Win 8 though I think.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Overseer is the most problematic of the old Tex games. It still suffers from random errors and crashes, but it´s still far more playable than it has ever been, especially for DVD version.

Total Posts: 1085

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Scott Butterworth - 07 May 2014 06:02 PM

Its noir-inspired detective Tex Murphy is a “man out of time,” Tesla Effect is indeed a game out of time. Every aspect—from the humor to the puzzles to the live action cutscenes—feels beamed here straight from the ‘90s. Sometimes it’s charming, and others, it’s just dated. But if nothing else, Tex’s puns and underdog relatability ultimately still make this rocky, uneven case worth cracking.

Jazzy as ever. Grin

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Finished the game on the “Somewhere I’ll find you” path. About 11.5 hours for a pretty brisk playthrough (I didn’t dawdle or get stuck much). I can see how this game might take some players 15-20 hours.

The ending was hopeful, but lends that sense of closure I’ve been wanting for so long. As a long-suffering fan who never gave up on the series, it was deeply satisfying to watch.

Overall, I’m really blown away by how good this was. Way better than Overseer, and maybe even better than UAKM and Pandora.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-12-27

PM

First of all i’m amazed, the game is at what it should be. After all these years Chandler Avenue again Smile And after a couple of hour gameplay, first questions: why all new guys are all normal not freaky as i expected some way? I didn’ t quite understand that, and the puzzles are quite a bit easy i think…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 -

* You can’t remap the key commands (WASD arrrrrgh!!!!!)

Uh-oh.
Does that mean that Belgian and French players with AZERTY keyboards will have VERY annoying controls? Our WASD is ZQSD, which unchanged is downright unplayable…

I’m not yet saying this is the case in Tesla Effect, but I hate it when a game isn’t smart enough to recognize I use ZQSD instead of WASD, and it’s even worse if it doesn’t even allow me to remap their WASD. I really don’t like changing my keyboard settings because of a game’s shortcomings.
(Although to be fair, the Wallace & Gromit Adventures are probably the only instance where that has happened, and iirc they released a patch that fixed it afterwards)

StingingVelvet -

Why not turn off subtitles and just listen? I have never really understood why people use subtitles in games when they’re not hearing impaired.

Not everyone has English as their mother tongue, and those that haven’t could benefit greatly from the subtitles. Wink
Besides, even if you ARE fluent in English, it’s easy to mishear something, or not hear something due to a background noise, or whatnot.
I personally prefer to have *everything* subtitled, just in case. I hate missing even a single word…

Simplex -

The very purpose of GOG is making sure that the old games will run on modern machines, so yeah, they should work without problems… Wink

Yeah, I just tried UAKM, it runs under DOSBox (obviously). Game is playable, however I am running into some issues such as screen tearing and camera starting to spin infinitely even when I stop touching the mouse, but that is probably not the discussion for this thread.

Have you tried the GOG forums? They usually have threads about these things, with solutions and work-arounds…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1801

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

TimovieMan - 09 May 2014 03:02 PM
Lucien21 -

Uh-oh.
Does that mean that Belgian and French players with AZERTY keyboards will have VERY annoying controls? Our WASD is ZQSD, which unchanged is downright unplayable

This has been brought up on the BFG forums and no you can’t remap. Requests have gone in for this to be available. And apparently some translations (notably French) are being criticised.

And whilst I’ve got your attention Tim kindly unblock the anagram and quote quizzes please  Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 09 May 2014 03:02 PM
Lucien21 -

Uh-oh.
Does that mean that Belgian and French players with AZERTY keyboards will have VERY annoying controls? Our WASD is ZQSD, which unchanged is downright unplayable…

WASD keys???? I’ve just been using the arrow keys on my keyboard!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top