• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I can understand that but I wonder how much they will get considering that the money is shared between games of the bundle, that Saint Row is probably going to get a higher percentage of any amount over $12.

I also think that releasing it this early as part of the bundle is suicide for their future games as people might not be willing to buy it early knowing that a sale is right around the corner. The only reason I pay for games through kickstarter or sometimes buy game full price is not that I want to play it first but that I want to support the devs but sometimes if I see this happening it can be a bit frustrating and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I doubt Big Finish is drowning in sales revenue, at least from games, so if they want to keep operating for a while and do more games, they do need the revenue even if the sales would dilute the value of the product. In the end it is the question of if Chris Jones wants to lay off the people working for him or does he want to get more revenue in order to produce other stuff.

I’ve seen a lot of comments from indie devs for whom bundle sales are the last life line keeping them producing games or just quitting all to gether.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oh, and I did a little math, I don’t know how accurate it is, but from the looks of it the base percentage that goes for the devs to share from the payments is around 65%, the rest is shared to sharity and for Humble itself.

So if we assume for an example, that the Bundle has 5 devs and they share the profits even, which I don’t know if it works like that, a bundle that makes around 500k would net around 65k for each.

There’s a lot of assumption there though, like people not moving the sliders in any direction. In reality I doubt it that even, as people might give all to devs, or all to charity or alter the slider in other fashion.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I wish there was a slider to select which developers to get the most part Smile

They just sold more 100k copies for now of the game. Good numbers to get the word out and more trying out the game. Sales of the game were probably flatline now.
I doubt a significant amount of people that bought the game day1 or through kickstarter would not do it again because of this bundle.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I mean, I don’t know what Big Finish’s future plans are, but this sort of thing creates brand awareness and helps to make new fans, as well, so that’s bankable. Not everyone buying this bundle is buying it for Tesla Effect, but that means a lot of people that wouldn’t otherwise take a chance on the game are going to play it now. If, as we hope, Big Finish aims to release future games or products with the Tex Murphy brand, this is going to help.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Hmm, interesting, I had used the slider before but forgot about it. It does seem that every developer gets a share of the amount regardless of the amount paid.

So by default, they’d get 9.2% of the total amount and judging by past bundles which topped out around 1.5 million this would be around $138k I guess (right now total payments are 700k). So about one fourth of the total kickstarter money they received which is not negligible.

I guess bundles are indeed a double edged sword. I can understand how getting this money is a boon to keep the studio open and let them stay a live a few more months but I really do think that it contributes to a race to the bottom where people do not end up buying as much as they would otherwise. Anecdotically, I got a lot of the games from Daedalic through a bundle and so paid relatively little for those games. I know that if there had not been a bundle, I would have bought them eventually since I was planning to play them.

I wonder who decides which games get to be available for everyone, for people paying above the average and for people paying the highest tier? I’m guessing that Humble does this and they try to select for notoriety to make sure people are attracted by the the above average tier?

Also, Humble bundle announces new game during the bundle. How are those games paid? Right now they’re not listed as part of the slider.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

The new game announcements are decided before the bundle is announced and factored in accordingly. They’re revealed later as a way to renew interest and get some buzz as the bundle goes on.

There’s been some sales analysis that seems to suggest that bundles don’t negatively impact sales. There’s no way to determine if there’s really a significant number of people who hold off buying in the hopes of a humble bundle, but what has been shown is that sales before and after bundles are pretty consistent with what they would be otherwise.

Tex has had trouble reaching outside of its core audience, because it’s this weird, campy, anachronistic thing. Getting new players playing and telling their friends is going to be a good thing, I’m sure of it.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

What I’m going to do is pay around $100 for this bundle, and give 100% of that to Tesla Effect. I will also buy a bunch of giftable $1 copies, and give them to friends that normally wouldn’t have bought the game anyway. If more people do something similar, we’ll be able to increase the size of the fan base!

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Frogacuda - 12 November 2014 09:08 AM

The new game announcements are decided before the bundle is announced and factored in accordingly. They’re revealed later as a way to renew interest and get some buzz as the bundle goes on.

So the slider that list the amount received by each developer isn’t actually factual? If the new game announcement also get a certain amount but are not shown at the beginning in the slider?

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

tomimt - 12 November 2014 07:19 AM

Oh, and I did a little math, I don’t know how accurate it is, but from the looks of it the base percentage that goes for the devs to share from the payments is around 65%, the rest is shared to sharity and for Humble itself.

So if we assume for an example, that the Bundle has 5 devs and they share the profits even, which I don’t know if it works like that, a bundle that makes around 500k would net around 65k for each.

There’s a lot of assumption there though, like people not moving the sliders in any direction. In reality I doubt it that even, as people might give all to devs, or all to charity or alter the slider in other fashion.

Right now they get 0.09$ per 1$ on default. I think most people buying the bundle won’t change that, so it’s a good base assumption. Next week 2 or 3 new games will be released, which will also take a slice of the total amount, and I believe Atlus also takes a cut of the sales (don’t know how much). So I reckon Big Finish Games will get about 5 cents (or a bit more) of the dollar or 5% of the total amount. This means they will get about 50k$ from a total amount of 1 mio.$. It’s a great bundle and will get a big total amount (right now it’s at almost 750k) but 5-7% still isn’t that big of slice.
I think the greatest benefit will be to raise brand awareness for a future game (or maybe a future Kickstarter?).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

giom - 12 November 2014 06:48 AM

The only reason I pay for games through kickstarter or sometimes buy game full price is not that I want to play it first but that I want to support the devs but sometimes if I see this happening it can be a bit frustrating and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

But does this change your mind about paying full price / Kickstarting and will you now wait for a bundle / Steam sale instead?
If you answer “no”, then their strategy works, imo.

People who pay full price for a game at launch, will continue to do so.
The only difference is that people who wait for sales will now wait for bigger sales…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

FrasierCrane - 12 November 2014 09:53 AM

Right now they get 0.09$ per 1$ on default. I think most people buying the bundle won’t change that, so it’s a good base assumption. Next week 2 or 3 new games will be released, which will also take a slice of the total amount, and I believe Atlus also takes a cut of the sales (don’t know how much). So I reckon Big Finish Games will get about 5 cents (or a bit more) of the dollar or 5% of the total amount. This means they will get about 50k$ from a total amount of 1 mio.$. It’s a great bundle and will get a big total amount (right now it’s at almost 750k) but 5-7% still isn’t that big of slice.
I think the greatest benefit will be to raise brand awareness for a future game (or maybe a future Kickstarter?).

Only nine percent on default! Are you sure? Where does the rest go?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 12 November 2014 12:29 PM

Or perhaps they won’t!

When you constantly see games you have paid full price for end up in these bundles only a few months later, then it gets harder and harder to justify spending the full price, instead of just being a bit more patient.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

Karlok - 12 November 2014 12:45 PM

Only nine percent on default! Are you sure? Where does the rest go?

Here is the default allocation for a 1$ payment:

Others seem to get 0.10$, so it may be something like 9 cents and a half.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Iznogood - 12 November 2014 01:12 PM
TimovieMan - 12 November 2014 12:29 PM

Or perhaps they won’t!

When you constantly see games you have paid full price for end up in these bundles only a few months later, then it gets harder and harder to justify spending the full price, instead of just being a bit more patient.

Exactly, the only people who are going to keep paying full prices are people who do it explicitly to support devs but that’s a minority of people. I don’t believe that for people in their late 20s/30s being the first to play a game matters at all. It’s more important for kids and they are not the target market for adventure games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top