• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

nomadsoul - 14 April 2014 05:06 PM

@DaveyB

Tesla Demo shits on brokenage in all departments. Period…i think this will make you understand.

It really doesn’t. Its good, but its good for a lot of different reasons then how Broken Age is good.

If you like brain teasers, convoluted inventory puzzles, and environment exploration/navigation. You’re going to love Tesla Effect. If you don’t you’re probably going to HATE it.

Broken Age on the other hand is significantly less frustrating and more visually interesting.

Personally I think both are pretty amazing, and we’re lucky to live in an age where both exist. As they are clearly two different experiences.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Jim Purcell - 14 April 2014 05:39 PM

Personally I think both are pretty amazing, and we’re lucky to live in an age where both exist. As they are clearly two different experiences.

Excellent summary Jim - pretty much encapsulates my feelings too. I really enjoyed Broken Age part 1, will start on Moebius in the next couple of days, and the Tesla after that. I’m sure I’ll enjoy them all. But I wouldn’t want all games to be the same as Tex - I really enjoyed the acting style and humour of the last 3 Tex games, but a number of the puzzles were pretty abstract, convulted and felt “added-on”. The classic “we need more puzzles to up the difficulty” thinking as opposed to “organic puzzles” which actually made sense in the situation. From what I’ve read re Tesla Effect, it’ll follow a similar formula.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

First, I think Broken Age looks nicer than Tesla Effect, though that doesn’t mean that I think Tesla looks bad, it looks nice enough, but quite dated. Heck, if I compare its graphics to another indie game, Ether One, it seems lacking. Though the be fair, Ether One made use of the latest Unreal engine.
Regarding puzzle design: yes, Tesla’s puzzles are more bountiful and more challenging. They’re also a lot less well integrated into the environments/the story, though. Why would someone have a slider puzzle hanging over their fireplace, which, when arranged correctly, spells out the combination for the safe? The same goes for the water pipe puzle. And why do you irretrievably lose objects once you used them in a puzzle? And why can’t I pick up the screwdriver with the thongs, why? At least in Broken Age I would have gotten an appropiate answer.

I feel for some Double Fine got “too big” to be an underdog anymore, which is why they give them shit about everything. I don’t mean that it’s unfair to give them shit about stuff. I was as surprised as anyone when I found out that work on Act 2 had barely started before Act 1 was finished. And I think it was risky of them to base the production of Act 2 on the success of Act 1. Broken Sword 5 of course hasn’t gotten nearly as much shit about its split into two parts and its slip of release dates again and again.

My point is: maybe you could extoll the virtues of Tesla Effect and other kickstarted adventure games you like without bashing Broken Age FOR ONCE? Because it gets tiring after a while…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

nomadsoul - 14 April 2014 05:06 PM

@DaveyB

Tesla Demo shits on brokenage in all departments. Period…i think this will make you understand.

It really doesn’t. Its good, but its good for a lot of different reasons then how Broken Age is good.

If you like brain teasers, convoluted inventory puzzles, and environment exploration/navigation. You’re going to love Tesla Effect. If you don’t you’re probably going to HATE it.

Broken Age on the other hand is significantly less frustrating and more visually interesting.

yes you can always make mainstream bustin jeibers generation happier with that kind of difficulty, but its the last thing in my mind when it comes to revival of old times AG through KS.

We need fix like old times, atleast i do Smile

Visually its cartoonnetwrok flash animations Versus HD contemporary movie, with High
level CG to boot.

Give the same effort and scope to Doublefine they will ask for 20millions. Wink

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Don’t you miss my post over yours! Just making sure… Wink

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

nomadsoul - 14 April 2014 05:53 PM

yes you can always make mainstream bustin jeibers generation happier with that kind of difficulty, but its the last thing in my mind when it comes to revival of old times AG through KS.

We need fix like old times, atleast i do Smile

Visually its cartoonnetwrok flash animations Versus HD contemporary movie, with High
level CG to boot.

Give the same effort and scope to Doublefine they will ask for 20millions. Wink

You sound like an old man, “Back in my day.” and all that generational-divide nonsense.

I’m 30 years old, I’ve been watching cartoons for 25 years. And today’s animation is some of the best its ever been. And the writing is worlds better to boot.

‘The Gold Old Days’ had a lot of problems in terms of structure and difficulty. Not to mention artificial padding. That make them an incredibly difficult sell to anyone who’s not already into that sort of thing. You can’t revive a genre if you don’t build an audience. And even back in its heyday Adventure games were a hard sell because of how absurdly esoteric they could get. You are longing for a ideal that is in fact, toxic to success.

I’m actively worried Tesla Effect is going to be too obtuse for its own good to be successful. I saw a lot of artificial gameplay padding in the demo. And I, a 20 year adventure game veteran got stuck for 10 minutes looking for an obscured and, more importantly, unnecessary item to solve a puzzle.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-12-27

PM

I’ m amazed to play a new Tex game after all these years Smile I think it’s in the right mood as always Tex style. But all in all in the full game, i wonder what it will be like the jazz tones in chandler avenue guys Smile I’m dying to fill that ambience again…

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

Ding! We have a winner.

Besides, I think it’s great there are enough adventure games out there, some new, some from developers of old, and even some from existing franchises, to give us the ability to discuss, compare and debate about!

I don’t think any game “shits” on another game. It’s usually people who “shit” on a game. That said, I guess it’s a term of passion. I personally believe Tesla will raise some eyebrows on many levels (technically, story, atmosphere and overall presentaiton), that will hopefully not serve as a means to down-play other adventure games, rather get some much needed life back into the pulse of adventure gaming overall. That said, take these last couple of sentences with a grain of salt if you like, because I am obviously hella biased!  Wink

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Cubase - 14 April 2014 07:39 PM

I don’t think any game “shits” on another game. It’s usually people who “shit” on a game.[...]

Never said anything to the contrary. Smile
I may have focused too much in my post on the negatives of Tesla Effect, which I did to dirty those rose-tinted glasses of some…or one.
I think Tex Murphy looks much more snazzy now than it did back then, the graphics made a big leap, as did the way the live action scenes were shot (especially regarding the camera movement). And the interface is much better and intuitive now, though I wish I could remap the keys (and duck).
But otherwise Tex Murphy remains Tex Murphy with all its pros and cons. The design is almost old-school to a fault. Everything you loved about Tex is still there, but everything you didn’t, too. Probably the reason why Kickstarter backers are so pleased. Hardcore fans are in for a treat. Time has passed, but little has changed. It just looks better and controls better.
I for one look ahead to experiencing the story and loathing some of the puzzle types.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Tesla Effect gives people a lot more game for the money. I played the demo with a friend, and had a lot of fun!

Broken Age is delightful and well-made, but I wish it had more game “meat” for me to sink my teeth into.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I hope the return of Adventure Gaming doesn’t bring the arrogant drivel spoken aloud by many in the other genres’ communities. Adventure games bring the piece of mind we enjoy. Lets keep it that way. Tongue

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The Silent Dude - 14 April 2014 03:46 PM

The only thing that turned me a bit off was that Tex often spoils the solution of the puzzles. Also speaking about clues he hasn’t even found yet.

Yes, I found it very annoying. There hasn’t been enough time since the beta for Big Finish to do something about it, so I guess we have to prepare ourselves for a lot more of the same in the full game. I really wish they’d listened to the criticism from the backers who played the beta demo.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2003-11-16

PM

The “beta” process was laughable. They only gave us the demo which went to the press fist.

I don’t complain. BFG prolly had more important things to do (like giving us a bigger game than originally intended)and Atlus most likely did most of the bug fixing anyway.

Those spoilers are a design choice and I, like you Kartok, doubt that there will be changes to it. 

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

The Silent Dude - 15 April 2014 01:24 PM

The “beta” process was laughable. They only gave us the demo which went to the press fist.

I haven’t downloaded the demo, but I had a feeling and from the sounds of things that the ‘beta’ we were provided was actually this demo that’s gone out. To me it seems pretty clear that what the backers got was not a beta; whereas it was quite clearly state in the Kickstarter rewards that the backers at certain pledge level would get to beta test the game.

Big Finish has done pretty much everything right, but this seems a little dishonest to me.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

The Beta was of a single location of the game. Feedback from that level in terms of design, gameplay mechanics, features and general comments were received during the time in which Beta backers had access to it. Many of those identified issues and suggestions were then applied and integrated into the game (both as a whole and specifically to the level that was tested). After which point the Demo was released. So basically, while it was not the whole game, all feedback was received, noted, appreciated and many of the items were implemented swiftly and effectively, both into the demo, and continually into the full game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top