• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Thanks for the heads up. To think I was only going to be playing South Park and Pegasus Prime tomorrow/today. Tongue I’m def not getting anything done on my day off.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just gave the demo a quick spin. I didn’t play it through yet, but damn, it feels good. Tex Murphy is definetly back.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

This sure is a Tex Murphy game. The interface is much improved, and the graphics are more modern (if pretty modest by non-adventure game standards), but this is classic Tex to the bone.

The puzzle design is so ridiculously dense. I think there are more inventory puzzles in this one location than the entirety of Broken Age. Some of this is a little ridiculous from a logical standpoint (I need to get a hammer twice? And I need long tongs AND a grabber arm?) but I really enjoyed how much there was to do and look at. The FMV was well-paced with quick cutaways and dialog scenes that didn’t carry on longer than they had to.

I’m really happy with how this shaped up.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I completed the demo and it was prety good. It took me about 1 and a half hours to finish on gamer difficulty according to Steam timer. The puzzles definetly are from the same cloth with the old Tex games. Lots of inventory stuff, location puzzles etc. and the demo location is pretty huge.

Just like Frogacuda said, there’s some amount of lack of logic with the items needed for the puzzles, but overall the puzzles are very good. This game should be a treat for those who have complained about the lack of “real” puzzles in Telltale games or Broken Age for an example.

I liked the new UI a lot. It’s fast and easy to use and overall the game looks nice. Not modern AAA nice, but I’ve seen a lot worse been sold with a bigger prize tag. The FMV definetly is a huge step up from the older games.

Only thing I’m still not sure about is the “god” voice. They guy doing the voice isn’t James Earl Jones, that’s for sure. Though maybe his voie works better on the full game.

So, in conclusion, some missteps, but mostly very well done. I’m even more jacked for the return of Murphy than I was before.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

It’s not a god voice, it’s Smart Alex, Tex’s newest gadget from the Electronics Shop, a Siri-like AI/PDA. It’s not really introduced in the demo so it feels kind of strange, but I sort of like it. It feels a little like those sarcastic narrators from old school Sierra games.

The voice is Kevin Murphy from Mystery Science 3000 BTW, which seems very appropriate.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

Just played the demo and I am impressed. The game runs great on my 5 years old PC and it looks good. The only thing I didn´t like was how Tex would always say what you should do with an object you just picked, it is not a big problem but I would prefer to figure it out by myself.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I wished item combinations would elicit more specific appropiate responses than variations of “This doesn’t work”. Why can’t I pick up the screwdriver with the tongs, for example?
Also, a fucking slider puzzle? Really? The instant I saw that I regretted starting in Gamer mode. Still, I solved it. And it wasn’t all that bad. I think I start to get the hang of them. Will I ever consider them to be a fun challenge, though? Probably not.
The puzzles seemed too artificial at times to me. Why can’t Tex just jump over the hole in the bridge? Why can’t he duck to get under the half opened secret door?

In the end, the new Tex retains all the design flaws I saw in the old Tex games. I guess I shouldn’t have expected better. Still, I’m sure I will have fun exploring the environment and experiencing the story. That’s what I always played the games for, anyway!

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I actually found the water puzzle way more annoying than the slider. I’ve always found sliders pretty intuitive.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-11-23

PM

Holy krispy kreme, the last time i played a demo was like in the 90’s, it never occurred to me to look for a demo of tesla, dling now, omg omg omg whoo.
Can’t wait for the 22nd!!!

and does anyone know if anyone says ‘whatchoo talking ‘bout’ to Todd Bridges’ character?

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Grrrr, I try downloading the demo but it’s telling me that the game is not available on my current platform - Mac… Erm, I’m pretty sure it is. Anyone know what the hell is going on or is having the same issue?

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

is your pc a mac airbook as I have read it won’t work on that

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Frogacuda - 10 April 2014 04:39 PM

It’s not a god voice, it’s Smart Alex, Tex’s newest gadget from the Electronics Shop, a Siri-like AI/PDA. It’s not really introduced in the demo so it feels kind of strange, but I sort of like it. It feels a little like those sarcastic narrators from old school Sierra games.

The voice is Kevin Murphy from Mystery Science 3000 BTW, which seems very appropriate.

Or you could just mention Arthur from the Journeyman Project series. Wink

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Okay then, perhaps the Smart Alex voice will work better in the full game, when its presense is explained a bit better. Now it felt detatched.

It’ll be interesting to see how the reviewers will react on the puzzles, as the design is very 90’s like unlike on the other Kickstarter adventures. I also agree about the ladder puzzle, it was clearly placed there just for the sake of it, not because it was needed.

I do hope that the game sells, as it would be a shame if there wouldn’t be any more Tex games after this, especially now that it looks like it will be a solid game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bliss - 10 April 2014 09:45 PM

and does anyone know if anyone says ‘whatchoo talking ‘bout’ to Todd Bridges’ character?

Hehe. That really should be in the game somewhere… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

plumgas - 10 April 2014 10:37 PM

is your pc a mac airbook as I have read it won’t work on that

No, it’s Macbook Pro OS X 10.9.2 :\ I wish I could download the demo without using steam somehow!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top