• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished Demo, good to see that Chris hasnt lost his touch, his VO is great and writing is very Tex which is a good thing.

Great production.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Finally an adventure where we can clearly see where all of the Kickstarter money went.

Double Fine and Phoenix OS need to learn from this game.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Bogi - 13 April 2014 11:56 AM

Finally an adventure where we can clearly see where all of the Kickstarter money went.

I thought Star Citizen was the best example of money well spent. Tongue Same with Broken Age. There is plenty of great games that came from Kickstarter. This isn’t nothing short of what I expected.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Monolith - 13 April 2014 02:11 PM

I thought Star Citizen was the best example of money well spent. Tongue Same with Broken Age. There is plenty of great games that came from Kickstarter. This isn’t nothing short of what I expected.

42 million seems like an ok budget for Star Citizen! Smile

9 days for Tesla! Decided not to play the demo and wait.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Broken Age has pretty high production values. The money spent pretty much hits you in the face right from the start there.

And lets not forget, the budget of Tesla Effect is higher than what they got from the Kickstarter, they already had some money in the bank to add to the budget.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

tomimt - 13 April 2014 03:00 PM

Broken Age has pretty high production values. The money spent pretty much hits you in the face right from the start there.

And lets not forget, the budget of Tesla Effect is higher than what they got from the Kickstarter, they already had some money in the bank to add to the budget.

Tesla Effect also used off the shelf development software (Unity), where Broken Age built their own from scratch.

Also, they didn’t have to make a documentary.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

Jim Purcell - 13 April 2014 03:04 PM

Tesla Effect also used off the shelf development software (Unity), where Broken Age built their own from scratch.

I seem to remember DF people saying that they would be using the Moai SDK (also open source) but with some modifications/additions of their own. Not sure what they ended up doing but I don’t think they built the game’s engine from scratch.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

That was one of the incentives… a BTS docco. It may not be made available at the time of release, but will be soon afterwards.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Bogi - 13 April 2014 11:56 AM

So very true. I’ve since learned to avoid anything with the “Phoenix Online Studios” name on it, since the quality of their stuff is so poor. However, I’ll still support Double Fine (depending on the product), as Schafer has real talent and doesn’t have to chase after famous IP to be relevant.

It’s astonishing to see the differences in quality level and amount of gameplay between Tesla Effect and other Kickstarter-funded adventure games. The “Big Finish” name is quite apt here, and this team deserves to take several victory laps now.

Any idea how long it could be before we might see an iOS/android port for this game?

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

Cubase - 13 April 2014 03:57 PM

That was one of the incentives… a BTS docco. It may not be made available at the time of release, but will be soon afterwards.

Oh, I almost forgot about the documentary. I’m sure it’s going to be a lot of fun, seeing all those green screen shenanigans. Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 13 April 2014 03:00 PM

Visuals felt robbed thanks to big hollywood names, perhaps also compromised
length and script. Amanita would have done this much more efficiently.

The visual design is clever but not what i call high production.

Tesla is altogether different beast. Chris is so likeable why he didnt appear
in Hollywood , not even some classic B movies.

I dont know all the fangirl response over Documentary , its good but there are
better Making of documentaies included free In godofwar or other sony games.

And its like 2p productions are eternally bound to Doublefine, amount of
Fortnight 2014 videos made me wonder if KS money is funneled into that.
On one hand he cant fund Ep2 on other hand 2P guys make so many vids for them
before ep2.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

nomadsoul - 13 April 2014 05:07 PM

Visuals felt robbed thanks to big hollywood names, perhaps also compromised
length and script. Amanita would have done this much more efficiently.

Are you really complaining that Broken Age isn’t indie enough, because it dared to hire professionals?

better Making of documentaies included free In godofwar or other sony games..

Not 15 hour (and counting) length ones.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jim Purcell - 13 April 2014 06:11 PM

1. Are you really complaining that Broken Age isn’t indie enough, because it dared to hire professionals?

better Making of documentaies included free In godofwar or other sony games..

Not 15 hour (and counting) length ones.

What i am saying that the game could have achieved the same goal without Hollywood
big names. TTG VAs already proved that. Elijah and ohers were good but more from
marketing POV.

2. And more than 6 Fortnight docs available free of cost.Tongue
More about quantity over quality.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

I don’t think it is a bad thing to hire Hollywood talent. It just means that you are more likely to come under scrutiny. Broken Age holds up well as a great adventure. But with KickStarter you have a double edged sword: game devs of old can continue to be in business in an industry that has left them behind, but when you are funded by a large number of the public (many of them die hard adventure gamers) there comes this user entitlement, which means EVERY decision employed by these developers comes under intense scrutiny.

Did Broken Age fulfill it’s goal: Yes. Was it done to the satisfaction of everybody who contributed: probably not. Were the finances managed to the best of their ability: who knows, that’s not for anybody here to decide. But at the end of the day it is another adventure game on the “shelf” and that, in my opinion, is never a bad thing!

That said, I think Tesla Effect will rise a LOT of eyebrows and hopefully seek to destroy some of the negative perceptions people have built as a result of other KS projects.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

I’m pretty sure Double Fine didn’t pay top dollar for its Hollywood actors. Elijah Wood is a fan of Tim’s and a Kickstarter backer himself. I’m fairly sure that Jack Black was a backer as well. So, I think it’s pretty likely Double Fine got a good deal on them and I would say it was money well spent.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top