• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielJdawg445seagulSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Kickstarter Point&Click;: AR-K

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Maybe Alicia likes wearing tight tops and showing off her figure. Shouldn’t she have a right to do that? She’s sexy and not embarrassed about it.  I don’t see the problem with the sexy body. Maybe she worked hard in the gym to get so toned, and then got breast enhancement surgery.

What bothers me more is that she seems so unlikable. Her scowl and unpleasant tone of voice (good acting, though) get on my nerves. Will she display redeeming character traits in the upcoming episodes? I hope she doesn’t have that irritated way of speaking the whole time. Why would we care about a character who constantly seems either annoyed or aloof.

Lambonius makes interesting points, but I don’t like the idea of a game developer feeling pressured to make their game a certain way in response to concerns about a particular character supposedly not representing a certain group (e.g., women) in a politically correct way. Alicia seems in control here and the one with the power. Not sure this is the best example of sexism. And where does it end? You’ll start seeing sexism everywhere. And then, if there’s a black character who isn’t a total angel, it will be an example of racism.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2011-12-13

PM

Lambonius, the difference between men and women is a matter of sex. We all are sexual beings. The question is that you see a macho chauvinism in the character, and I think that´s not fair, because if you play the game you see a smart woman solving a mystery, not a bunny with bouncing tits to make jokes about her.
If you are right all the female characters of comic books, and most of the characters of Hollywood movies are sexualized to sell more. And that is not fair.
If the character was ugly would be a better game? Or all you need is a burka covering her?
There are millions of women using breast implants and you think the designers of the character have a problem?
Come on!!

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Hi Quest1,
We are working to have a better phone version. We will have to adapt the text to fill the screen and a button to highlight the elements. That will be part, also, of the adaptation for visually impaired that we will prepare if the Kickstarter campaign is successful.
We know about the texts errors. We will correct it in an update.
About Alicia, she is angry with everybody in the first episode, but things will change…

Hi Lambonius,
We believe that Alicia is not what you think. She is in control of the story, so she is not the “typical sexy girl”. She is beautiful, but also smart. It is that a bad thing? We don´t think so, but we respect your opinion. Anyway, please, give it a try Wink

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Sigh.. I didn’t want to do a whole rant about boobs in video games, but seems I have to.
The reason this discussion is going the way it is is almost purely because of the boob jiggle. If she only had big tits, we’d probably be weakly discussing the unnecessary cleavage shot.
Boob jiggle, as far as I know, is mostly known from the Dead or Alive games, that praised themselves on their “boob physics”, and if you don’t think those games have a problematic womens view…
The fact of the matter is that boob jiggle is a design device purely meant to over-sexualise a woman, by creating movement that keeps drawing your attention to the boob-area. The human eye is drawn to movement, and boob jiggle creates a constant “irritation” right beneath a woman’s face.
It creates an unrealistic and hyper-sexualished game design for one reason: Boob jiggle isn’t real!!

I know loads of big-breasted ladies, and I deal with the issue myself, and I have never once seen anybodys boobs vibrate like jello like they do in games.
Especially because the bigger the boobs, the more important to have a good bra, otherwise you struggle with quite bad back pain and skin pulling. With a good bra your boobs won’t move much at all, unless you’re doing quite heavy cardio, and when you’re running around, you use a sports bra to smush the boobs down so they won’t move at all.

If you were to move around with huge boobs and no bra, they still wouldn’t jiggle like jello, they’d just move with the gravity. If you bend forward they hang down, if you bend to one side they will both hang to that side, and if you jump up and down they will flap up and down, and even hit you in the face if they’re big enough (and it would also hurt -a lot- and risk stretch marks and other unsightly things on the skin).

You can test this with a girlfriend or a friend, just poke their boob a bit, the skin will just displace, and if you poke it hard enough, the whole boob will move out of the way and then back (and you’d probably get slapped). The only way to get boobs to jiggle are to gently smack them, like you can do with a belly or any other place with excess fat on it.
Why do we never see belly/thighs/ass fat jiggle in the same way? The fat is exactly the same.

It isn’t a discussion between big or small boobs, it’s a discussion over unnecessary boob jiggle. And it’s also not a discussion between real or fake boobs, because fake boobs don’t move at all! They’re just big blobs of hard stuff stuck on a womans chest. You can quite clearly notice fake boobs when girls wear bikinis; if their boobs stay perky and round, they’re fake.

The fact that a lot of you seem to believe boob jiggle is natural for big breasts scare me..

And yes, most women portrayed in movies and comics are over-sexualised. That doesn’t give everyone else a freebie on over-sexing. Comic books especially have one of the stupidest boob drawings I’ve ever seen. huge boobs with spandex in between them are unrealistic both because of how boobs work, but also because of how fabric works..

Image Attachments

images_(1).jpgimages.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Gato Salvaje - 30 April 2013 11:11 AM

Hi Lambonius,
We believe that Alicia is not what you think. She is in control of the story, so she is not the “typical sexy girl”. She is beautiful, but also smart. It is that a bad thing? We don´t think so, but we respect your opinion. Anyway, please, give it a try Wink

Wow.  Talk about a fundamental misunderstanding (or is it a willful misreading?) of what I said.

This is purely about visuals.  I have no problem with the concept of a character who is both beautiful and smart, and sassy, or whatever combination you feel makes her unique and interesting.  That’s all fine and dandy. 

What I think IS problematic is that your artists have reduced her visually to a walking pair of balloon-like breasts situated atop a tiny waist and long, spindly legs.  And complete with gratuitous boob-jiggle, like Panthera said. 

Are you seriously unable to see how that undermines everything you’re hoping to accomplish with the character from a writing standpoint?  Or do you actually think that giant, jiggling, balloon-like breasts are key components in a “sexy” rendering of a female??  I’ve seen plenty of sexy women, and they don’t all have breasts that could be suitably used as flotation devices.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

Lambonius, Pantera, I don’t know what women you have seen and whether any of them were actually in the flesh but I can tell you there are plenty of women whose breasts jiggle wonderfully. The key is not to wear a bra Wink I get to experience this wonderful phenomena every day with my lovely girlfriend. I have to admit it’s never occurred to me to call it ‘problematical’, nor scold her for having jiggly breasts. But then, I like sexy women, although I recognize some men, and many women, are resentful of them.

Gato, nice to see you here: I love sexy heroines and it was the sexy heroine who prompted me to buy chapter 1 of AR-K. I’m sure it’s the same for many people. And when I played I liked her sexy personality too. To be honest, it’s the thing that made this otherwise standard point and click game stand out. Keep her sexy and I for one will forego my usual policy of not backing computer game Kickstarters this once, because I do so hate the kind of attitudes we’ve seen in this thread.

Seriously, some people have major hang-ups… breast, problematical Tongue

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Laldridge - 30 April 2013 08:12 AM

TO LAMBONIUS & BATHORMAN:

I’ve opened this post to talk about the game, not about your opinion about the tits of Alicia. I think you are hotheading about a theme wich is not relevant in this forum (But I want to say that the Inquisition image is funny hahaha).

So… Can we keep talking about the game, please?

You should have know that this is a lost battle, once a thread gets sidetracked like this, it is almost impossible to get it back on track, especially when the sidetrack is about something as interesting as BOOBS.

Seriously the developers have already explained that their video was an attempt at being humorous, and if some doesn’t find it funny, then it might just be an example of humor being hard to translate between different countries and cultures.

Also if some of you actually tried the free episode already made, then you might notice that the BOOBS doesn’t jiggle as much in the game as they do in the video. In fact I find them quite unnaturally jiggle-free. 

I am not saying that it is an excellent game and everybody should hurry and back the project, I am in fact quite skeptical about the game myself, but at least I am not judging it purely on the size of the BOOBS on the protagonist.

(I will hold back my finally judgement until i have finished the first episode)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

cbman - 30 April 2013 02:55 PM

Lambonius, Pantera, I don’t know what women you have seen and whether any of them were actually in the flesh but I can tell you there are plenty of women whose breasts jiggle wonderfully. The key is not to wear a bra Wink I get to experience this wonderful phenomena every day with my lovely girlfriend. I have to admit it’s never occurred to me to call it ‘problematical’, nor scold her for having jiggly breasts. But then, I like sexy women, although I recognize some men, and many women, are resentful of them.

Thank you for patronizing me and indicating that my issue with gratuitous boob jiggling stems from my resentment of other women’s boobs, even though I have never, ever wanted to have more back issues and shoulder pain then I already have.
Yes, if you walk bouncingly without a bra on, boobs will jiggle, but if you’re actually telling me your girlfriend’s boobs almost vibrate at every single small movement she makes, she has to have some of the lightest boobs ever.
If I stretch my arms over my head and drop them down I can make my boobs jiggle like they do in the video (for a few wiggles) but they don’t jiggle at every movement I do, and the bigger boobs I’ve seen on women (and yes, I’ve seen quite a few, women shower together after training and swimming after all) the heavier they are, and the more they just hang downwards.

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2011-12-13

PM

Wow…. Now the problem is about the movement of the tits… Look… i am a man, and I love woman, and until you talked about that i didn´t even noticed.
You are insane. You have a problem. Go to the doctor, please…

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hey! No one’s insane. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. But this is a thread about a specific Kickstarter, which has more to offer than the one point that’s being focused on, and it would be great if we could get back on topic. Smile

The point about the character’s appearance has been made and then some. Anyone who wants keep exploring the issue of how women are portrayed in video games (which is definitely topic worthy of discussion) can start a thread about that in General Gaming. Thanks.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

cbman - 30 April 2013 02:55 PM

Gato, nice to see you here: I love sexy heroines and it was the sexy heroine who prompted me to buy chapter 1 of AR-K. I’m sure it’s the same for many people. And when I played I liked her sexy personality too. To be honest, it’s the thing that made this otherwise standard point and click game stand out. Keep her sexy and I for one will forego my usual policy of not backing computer game Kickstarters this once, because I do so hate the kind of attitudes we’ve seen in this thread.

Seriously, some people have major hang-ups… breast, problematical Tongue

Wow.  What a blatantly misogynistic post.  I feel sorry for your girlfriend.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

fov - 30 April 2013 08:13 PM

Hey! No one’s insane. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. But this is a thread about a specific Kickstarter, which has more to offer than the one point that’s being focused on, and it would be great if we could get back on topic. Smile

The point about the character’s appearance has been made and then some. Anyone who wants keep exploring the issue of how women are portrayed in video games (which is definitely topic worthy of discussion) can start a thread about that in General Gaming. Thanks.

Thanks Fov for your help. That’s I wanted to say… I understand some people want to give their opinion about women tratment in video games. But this is not the right place to do that.

I’ve opened this topic to talk about a Kickstarter project. And I think the discuss can take another different and interesting ways.

Thanks again. This topic really need a comment like yours. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Laldridge - 30 April 2013 11:14 PM

Thanks Fov for your help. That’s I wanted to say… I understand some people want to give their opinion about women tratment in video games. But this is not the right place to do that.

I’ve opened this topic to talk about a Kickstarter project. And I think the discuss can take another different and interesting ways.

Thanks again. This topic really need a comment like yours. Thumbs Up

Lambonius and others definitely were discussing aspects of the game and the game’s trailer, though. I may not agree with what they were saying, but I think they were definitely on-topic, at least until the insults started. Are you bothered more by the fact that they were critical of a game that you support?

Also, I think it is great that the developer is here and is receptive to feedback.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I feel I’ve made my point as clearly as it needs to be made.  It’s just that every time I try to back out, someone pops in and says something stupid, and then my moral obligation to call out stupidity wherever it rears its ugly head kicks in and I am sucked back into the conversation.

What were we talking about again?

Oh, yes.  This kickstarter.  I actually really appreciate game kickstarters that already have playable demos (or episodes/chapters) available at the time of the kickstarter.  More developers need to take the responsibility to actually show something substantial to their potential backers before they start asking for other people’s money.  So kudos to the team for that.  That already puts them one up on the likes of Jane Jensen.  Wink

Joined 2011-12-13

PM

Ok. Lambonius and Panthera: I´m Sorry. I shouldn´t have insulted anyone.
Anyway, I have seen they have been covered in Destructoid. They need a big push to get their objective.
They are also in Greenlight…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top