• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Kickstarter Point&Click;: AR-K

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-04-29

PM

Lambonius - 29 April 2013 12:50 PM
orient - 28 April 2013 09:01 PM

It was the weird sexualisation of the female characters—the unnecessary boob jiggling of the main character and the blatant bent-over cleavage shot of the girl in black. If that’s what the audience is after then so be it, but to me it’s just weird.

I couldn’t agree more.  Just a horribly cliche design.  Awful.

I don’t think the main character were designed by male chauvinist people… What would be the problem if Alicia have small tits? Orient answer this question on his reply:

cheap kid’s TV show

I’m serious… I don’t think the design were unnecessary.
The problem is not the character. The real problem is people who can’t see more than tits in a character who has an strong personality and awesome sense of humor.
I will support the project when my economics situation allows me! Smile

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Bathorman - 29 April 2013 01:19 PM

I don’t think the main character were designed by male chauvinist people… What would be the problem if Alicia have small tits?  I’m serious… I don’t think the design were unnecessary.
The problem is not the character. The real problem is people who can’t see more than tits in a character who has an strong personality and awesome sense of humor.

Video games are a visual medium.  The visual aesthetic of the character creates a set of associations that exist regardless of the way the character is written.  And in this particular case, the hypersexualization couldn’t be more out of place BECAUSE of the way the character is written.  The terrible, hypersexualized visual design here marginalizes the character; it turns her into a one-dimensional set of tits and it is BAD, LAZY, UNINSPIRED DESIGN, and I, for one, think it’s a fucking joke that stuff like this is just brushed aside as though it doesn’t matter.  This is yet another example of people being so starved for point-and-click adventure games that they will eat any old pile of shit served up on a platter if it’s got the right label.  Don’t support this garbage.  Don’t be PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-04-29

PM

Don’t support this garbage.  Don’t be PART OF THE PROBLEM

I’m not the problem. Believe me. You don’t know me to supose what I think or what I do.
I only said that we are taking things out of context.
I said what i said because that reason:

Women have tits. Alicia has tits.

Well… many people stop reading here. UNFORTUNATELY. But I don’t judge a character (or a person) by their tits…
Women have tits. Alicia has tits.
Women have a kind of personality. Alicia has a kind of personality.
Women should have the same respect than men, of course. Alicia has the same respect than the other characters, OF COURSE

What I mean is… big/small tits are not the problem. So… What’s the real problem? People who have dirty minds and cannot see beyond this body part…

Try the first episode (it’s free). You can take a look to Alicia and the treatment of this character inside the game. I assure you she’s not an hypersexualized character.

Oh, I am a woman. Maybe.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2011-12-13

PM

Hi Lambonius, don´t you get so serious… And take things as they are… Just jokes… In the video, when the woman bents, what you see is not the cliché of the sexualized girl. It is the cliché of the guy with the camera. You can take things from both points of view. You can see a critic or an exaltation.
Anyway, I have played the game and, if you do it, you won´t find the typical macho chauvinism.
It is a comedy, for God´s sake!

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

I watched the kickstarter video for the game, and I’m just not interested.
It feels like another “strong woman = bitch” type of “personality”.

I love Greg Rucka, but I’m not sure what he can do with an already established character who’s been written for 2 episodes already.

It’s not my type of animation style, but I could’ve gotten over it if the game vowed me with its story and characters.

Atm I’m seeing a foul-mouthed prima-donna who’s for some “man-chosen” reason not wearing a bra for her oversized tits.. There’s just no hints to any story or any other characters in any of the trailers and other promotional information.

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Panthera, I really like this character! Tongue
I think Greg Rucka will do a better story in the next episodes. Never too late to improve the game!

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Hi everyone,
First of all we would like to beg your pardon. We never thought of Alicia as a sexual object. In fact, half of our team are women and they contributed to her personality.
Alicia is the only character of the game that swears, and there is a reason for that: she is really angry with almost everybody. she was expelled from the police academy for something she didn´t do. Her father, a policeman, didn´t do anything to protect her, and her kick-ass personality is the conclusion of that.
She is a smart, beautiful girl that wants to solve the mystery surrounding the sphere.
The question about the tits is not because we think of her as a sexual object. We wanted to create a confrontation between her look and her intelligence, to introduce tension and comedy with the rest of the characters.
May be you could give it a try. You can download it for free from our website.
Long live the Adventure Games!!

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Gato Salvaje - 29 April 2013 03:40 PM

The question about the tits is not because we think of her as a sexual object. We wanted to create a confrontation between her look and her intelligence, to introduce tension and comedy with the rest of the characters.

I appreciate the response, and I apologize for the heated nature of my posts.  I do feel somewhat passionately about the issue, but I should have toned it down a bit.

That said, while the above quote may have been your intention, I think your actual approach lacks subtlety, to say the least.  You have a female character with the cartoonish proportions of a late 90s Lara Croft ad.  There is a very specific set of connotations and baggage there—back then, Lara was practically the poster girl for the games industry’s juvenile sexism problem.  And that was THEN!  Today, it’s much more a current and vocal issue in the industry, so to use those proportions in such a seemingly heavy-handed way, comes off as an endorsement of exactly that kind of cliche.  I’m actually a bit shocked that any female game designer on your team would find that design at all appropriate.  There are plenty of ways to create a sexy female character without turning her into a walking blow-up doll.  Unless you’re actually going for a self-aware parody of the games industry, you may want to dial it back.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Thanks for your comment Lambonius,
Well, in fact, there is one of the girls in the team that looks very similar to Alicia. She is the couple of one of the partners.
Do you copy me?  Wink

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Bathorman - 29 April 2013 02:31 PM

[What I mean is… big/small tits are not the problem. So… What’s the real problem? People who have dirty minds and cannot see beyond this body part…

Try the first episode (it’s free). You can take a look to Alicia and the treatment of this character inside the game. I assure you she’s not an hypersexualized character.

You are being willfully ignorant here.

It’s not about the way the character is written or treated.  This is very specifically about the visual design, which undermines any complexity that the character herself my have within the story or gameplay.  The visual design is hypersexualized.  This isn’t opinion, it’s objective reality.  The character’s model is a walking pair of gigantic breasts, Barbie doll tiny waist (complete with midriff baring top), etc.  It doesn’t matter what the author’s intent is—the simple fact of the matter is that such a design reads in a very specific way.  And if the visual design is distracting from everything else—it’s something that should probably be rethought.

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Gato Salvaje - 29 April 2013 03:40 PM

Hi everyone,
First of all we would like to beg your pardon. We never thought of Alicia as a sexual object. In fact, half of our team are women and they contributed to her personality.
Alicia is the only character of the game that swears, and there is a reason for that: she is really angry with almost everybody. she was expelled from the police academy for something she didn´t do. Her father, a policeman, didn´t do anything to protect her, and her kick-ass personality is the conclusion of that.
She is a smart, beautiful girl that wants to solve the mystery surrounding the sphere.

I appreciate the comment, but I’m not seeing any of that in the trailer or the kickstarter-video.
There’s no hint of what makes her angry, what she’s gone through to become a strong woman, no hint of her intelligence, nothing. In the kickstarter segment there’s just shouting, whining and behaving like a prima-donna, and in the trailer there’s just segments showing off her body, her kissing some dude awkwardly and boob-jiggling.

I agree with Lamb (sheesh, I never thought I’d say that.. I feel dirty..), the approach lacks subtlety. The whole cameraman filming the boobs of the lady in the backgrounds works just as much as eye-candy for the viewers as it marks him as a pervert. He doesn’t even get caught for it.
Also; ironic sexual tension and showing stereo-typical “seeing women as sexual objects” through the other characters does still create a sexual object. Is your plan to make the players embarrassed for seeing her as a sexual object and looking at her boobs? If not you’re still creating eye-candy for no good reason.

Gato Salvaje - 29 April 2013 03:57 PM

Thanks for your comment Lambonius,
Well, in fact, there is one of the girls in the team that looks very similar to Alicia. She is the couple of one of the partners.
Do you copy me?  Wink

Besides the fact that I doubt someone actually can be that skinny with so big real boobs, does she walk around without a bra on all the time?
If she does, can you ask her from me how her nipples are not always sore?

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Panthera - 29 April 2013 04:07 PM

I agree with Lamb (sheesh, I never thought I’d say that.. I feel dirty..)

Come on in, the water’s fine!  Cool

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Hi Panthera,
The story is not in the video. It is in the game!
By the way, I don’t know why everybody assumes she has no bra…
Thank you for your comments!

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Of course the story is in the game, but what’s supposed to sell me on playing for the story when I’m not introduced to either that or the characters in the promotional material?
I play for story and engaging characters, and that’s what I’m looking for when I check out potential games. Action, drama, game play, graphics - none of these have ever been enough to draw me in, I need some inkling of storytelling to get excited.

I assume she’s not wearing a bra because bras are meant to stop boob jiggle! Their design is to support and hold up boobs so they don’t flap around.
The only reason boobs would behave like your animation design is if they lack any sort of support and lift (and still then they’d move together, not independent like game designers keep doing).

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Panthera - 29 April 2013 05:33 PM

Of course the story is in the game, but what’s supposed to sell me on playing for the story when I’m not introduced to either that or the characters in the promotional material?

You can play first episode and take a look for your own. I think best promotional material is to give us the first chapter for free, don’t you? Grin

http://www.gatosalvajestudio.com/english/

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top