• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Remaking flawed games

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I just hate to see potential wasted. Veil of Darkness and Höhlenwelt Saga explored terrain that remains otherwise untapped in the medium. So I would like to see these unique experiences elevated to an enjoyable standard. You wouldn’t need to remake them wholly, maybe that would even ruin the aspects that made these games so special. Instead think of it as fixing, patching.

It’s done to RPGs by fans all the time. Just think of all the mod efforts to fix the problems in Arcanum, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines or Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

I totally approve of redoing flawed adventure games. Smile
Indeed having dead ends, game overs, limited saveslots, pixelhunts caused me to give up on many games that may have been very rewarding to finish. Or maybe not, the point is that now I don’t know what I missed.

New games are cool too of course, but remaking a game is much easier to do. It could be done by fans too.

I’m not playing as many AG’s as I used to because publishers are now putting drm even on disks (now I only play gog games and old games), so I’d welcome a chance to play an older game without constant dying for instance.

So instead of playing AG’s, I started toying with AGS and that’s really fun too.
I’ve actually tried to do a remake myself (Black Sect); I can’t draw at all so a remake using existing art is a good option for me.
This thread is a real good source of information. I’ll check out the games mentioned here. Cool

BTW a remake of Maupiti Island would be cool. But the guy that’s remaking Mortville Manor already has been warned I believe, so I’m not burning my hands on that one.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I love building prototype engines. Right now I’m working on a node-based first person dungeon crawler system. I want to see how things would look with a real-time engine and an adventure game. Sort of like what Legend of Grimrock did for that part of the industry.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

HandsFree - 10 February 2013 07:13 AM

This thread is a real good source of information. I’ll check out the games mentioned here. Cool

that is really true i am happy with this thread as it can hold so many aspects and ideas,.. not as what i thought at the beginning that it will just end up by posts that are listing some titles.

way to go Zifnab

Thumbs Up  Heart

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

Indiana Jones and the Emperors’ Tomb still has the best fighting engine I’ve ever played but it was too repetitive to fight for the entire game, it would be amazing if they remade it and added adventure game puzzles here and there to break up the action.

Oh and to add a story to it would be nice too, notice I didn’t say a “good story” I would settle ever for just “a story”. Tongue

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I say demake all the Tomb Raider Indiana Jones games to adventures. lol Since in my opinion they were flawed games. haha

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

Monolith - 11 February 2013 04:14 AM

I say demake all the Tomb Raider Indiana Jones games to adventures. lol Since in my opinion they were flawed games. haha

But why 100% adventure, why not action/adventure-hybrid?

Check out 1:45 into

, you have no idea how satisfying it is to be losing an unfair fight against 5 ninjas as they knock you over a table, but then you pick up the table-leg debris and turn it around, then dive-cover behind the bar to throw liquor-bottles at them while ninja stars are flying over your head. Grin

If only they had made the other half of the content be puzzles/mystery that game would have been AWESOME!

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Wow, Indy and the Emperor’s Tomb was one of the few Tomb Raider clones I enjoyed enough to actually finish. I agree the action was exciting, the movies were mostly action anyway. Was it flawed? I can’t remember, but I probably wouldn’t play a remake just for more puzzles.

This reminds me of Ecstatica, another action/adventure hybrid. Had a nice (very weird and sinister) setting and graphics but the fighting was incredibly broken.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

It was flawed because it wasn’t an adventure game. lol Fate of Atlantis was awesome, why not continue the tradition with demaking those games?

Have you guys even played the completely superior “Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings”? Even that game was flawed…too bad its awesome story and gameplay was ruined by motion controls.

Honestly, I’m just pissed Lucasarts never went through making that Indiana Jones game we all got excited about.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Monolith - 11 February 2013 02:57 PM

It was flawed because it wasn’t an adventure game.

a-ha! .. now i understand ,Tongue

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Have you guys even played the completely superior “Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings”?

I wanted to but it wasn’t available on PC. I’m sure I would have liked it, Indy games have never let me down. Well, except for that awful lego game Sick

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Advie - 12 February 2013 05:06 AM

It was flawed because it wasn’t an adventure game.

a-ha! .. now i understand ,Tongue

Why not though? Infernal Machine was pretty much a continuation of ‘Fate of Atlantis’ in a continuous universe kind of way. Come on Sophia’s in the game and the story was pretty spectacular. It needs to be a sequel in form of an Adventure. lol

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Zifnab - 12 February 2013 05:24 AM

Have you guys even played the completely superior “Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings”?

I wanted to but it wasn’t available on PC. I’m sure I would have liked it, Indy games have never let me down. Well, except for that awful lego game Sick

Hey, I liked the LEGO games.

More than Emperor’s Tomb, certainly.

Though I admit that wouldn’t be the case were it not for the one level that I found pretty much impossible and brought the game to a screeching halt for me. Up to THAT point, I thought the game was awesome. After dozens of unsuccessful attempts to run away from a massive machine down a LOOOOONG winding hallway with a constantly changing POV, while perfectly executing a huge series of platforming elements (as any failure generally meant having to restart the whole sequence, and there was NO ability to save) my rage level was high enough that I pretty much vowed to never touch the game again, and badmouthed it to everybody I could.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

“I think some games could really be improved with advanced technology and graphics: Imagine exploring the Titanic in real-time in Titanic: Adventure out of Time”

Something quite like this is currently being made! It is using the Crysis engine, and the graphics are spectacular and accurate. Players will be able to explore the full ship in 3D, it will be a full adventure game with a story, and the ship will sink.
http://titanic-honor-and-glory.tumblr.com/

They’re going to have an IndieGoGo fundraiser soon. Details are on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/TitanicHonorandGlory

Has anyone else heard about this game? It looks like it’s one of the coolest fully 3D first person adventure game in development!

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

That looks fantastic! Although I think it all depends on how they do the rest of the game - the story, characters, puzzles. Titanic: Adventure out of Time was great because of those things, and I actually thought it was one of the better FMV games of its time graphically.

There are plenty of others like Titanic I would like remade and this new engine would be one option. Probably not “flawed” in the strictest sense but all the 90s first-person games which used a small window to navigate. Dark Side of the Moon and Temujin were awesome but you had to squint to see through a tiny navigation screen. The view was panoramic but you had to move your mouse to the edge of the box to slowly pan around. Really grainy graphics too. Also the inventory was frustrating: scrolling up then down then up again to find and pick items to use.

Journeyman Project 2 was probably just as bad! Hopefully they’ll do a “Pegasus Prime” job on it too.

There are plenty of 90s games which would benefit from this upgrade, even if it’s just to make it fullscreen and bumping up the resolution so you can actually see.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top