• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Remaking flawed games

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Oscar - 07 February 2013 10:06 AM

MI4 isn’t flawed.. it just isn’t very good. I quite like the graphics style.

One I’d really like to see remade is Infrogrames’ Time Gate: Knight’s Chase. The game had some incredibly frustrating moments. Anyone who’s played it will no doubt remember the lasers. Those god damn lasers! You had to crawl around on the floor avoiding these moving laser beams. The chunky graphics and awful controls made this near-impossible and I gave up after my 30+ tries. Pan

The game has been parodied many times, some of them being quite amusing but I don’t think it’s such a terrible game. Unlike Alone in the Dark there was minimal combat and the historical setting could be very interesting if made more detailed with lots to read.

Another one I want to see is Rome: Pathway to Power. It was groundbreaking for its time with open-world gameplay but the interface and some time-based problem solving made me give up on it after a few hours. With modern graphics and a few fixes they could turn this one into a great game.

Knight’s Chase! Yes! I beat the game when it came out, but it was so frustrating. Totally agree on the early-on laser puzzle. Would love to see this and the first two (screw the third) AITD games remade—maybe in the same style that Resident Evil 1 was remade for the GameCube.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

For me, it would be the Laura Bow games. Frankly, I still love the graphics in LB2—I remember being stunned as a kid over how photo-realistic the graphics of that and PQ3 (came out at the same time) were. Then again, seeing actual photos on a computer screen back then was unheard of.

Also wouldn’t mind hearing a new version of the “Archaeologist Song”;) Surely, others agree!

Image Attachments

image.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

How about not remaking games in the sense of altering them in any way, but simply making a higher resolution version that will not look distorted on a modern computer? I’d love to see the true beauty of Riven again.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Honestly, I realize that a lot of these games were flawed, not by design, but by the extremely huge learning curve and the need to obsess over the little details to complete. I feel like now that a lot of these games were made for people who have absolutely no lives. Does that say much for the state of a lot of PC/Amiga games back in the day?

Gives me a new look on people’s opinions of older games. Of course they are harder than today’s games, but at times I don’t feel like thats a plus. You know how many excellent games I had never beaten because they were absolutely difficult. I’d understand arcade games staying in that realm, but action/adventure games?

Anyone else agree?

EDIT: By difficult, I don’t mean challenge. I mean the shear torture given by the developers just because of the developer logic back in the day. Can be compared to those that dedicate their whole lives to playing World of Warcraft/MMO’s and D&D. If games didn’t go beyond that, Gaming would still be a niche.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Monolith - 08 February 2013 06:41 PM

Gives me a new look on people’s opinions of older games. Of course they are harder than today’s games, but at times I don’t feel like thats a plus. You know how many excellent games I had never beaten because they were absolutely difficult. I’d understand arcade games staying in that realm, but action/adventure games?

Anyone else agree?

there no great easy Adventure (a fact)

P.S:i am already writing something about that accidentally so Monolith sorry for that short reply (for now) Smile

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

It’s an opinion, not a fact. The sooner this rhetorical figure dies, the better.

Loom and To the Moon were easy yet great.
How would you define an easy adventure game, anyway? As one where you’re breezing just through, without thinking twice? Or as one where you don’t need any hints, but nonetheless mull over certain puzzles for longer times? I actually consulted the internet for a problem I had with To the Moon, because I was sure I was stuck because of a bug; turns out I missed a hotspot (I needed help in Loom because of a missed hotspot too. I’m sensing a pattern here…).
My distrust of games must be blamed here. When something doesn’t work that should, and there’s no reason recognizable why it doesn’t, then immediately I assume that the game is probably bugged. I might be stuck in a dead end because a script wasn’t triggered correctly. Occasionally this actually happens (like in the original German release of “The Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles”), and such occurrences only serve to strengthen my distrust.

The adventure games I beat without any outside help seem to vary somewhat in difficulty: I didn’t need any help for Blackwell Deception, Dreamfall or Deponia (and probably some others). I think the latter of the three is a lot more difficult than the first two.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Honestly, I realize that a lot of these games were flawed, not by design, but by the extremely huge learning curve and the need to obsess over the little details to complete. I feel like now that a lot of these games were made for people who have absolutely no lives. Does that say much for the state of a lot of PC/Amiga games back in the day?

It says a lot more about us. And not that the people who can still play them have no lives, but that people who can’t may have lost something those gamers “back in the day” had. For better or worse.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

ozzie - 08 February 2013 07:38 PM

How would you define an easy adventure game, anyway?

an easy game is a game the advanced players and new ones agree its easy ..
how do we tell the length of an adventure, is but by the dialogs length and the cuteness or the story .. its by the time needed for moderate Peron (not dumb no genies) to figure it out how to BEAT it and that is the right word for finishing an adventure you feel you had beaten it .. and beating something fluffy and soft is nothing to be proud of.

anyway i think the design the most effective thing a bout a game’s difficulty , give me three rooms to walk around and 5 items in my inventory and you really had blown it out .. what Makes Enda And Harvey the breakout a great game because it gets bigger and bigger and that is what makes it unique . you always have the chance to think which place to need to recheck and backtrack and…

let us stop here Grin

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Zifnab - 08 February 2013 07:57 PM

It says a lot more about us. And not that the people who can still play them have no lives, but that people who can’t may have lost something those gamers “back in the day” had. For better or worse.

We can’t deny that a lot of these classics (well overshadowed classics) require from the players, quite a bit of time to educate themselves in the basics of gameplay. Not to mention games that like BAT or Jack the Ripper which are so complex in method more than forgiving in gameplay.

I realize people complain about those that play Farmville or the like because its stupid and casual, yet these games require the same amount of dedication a lot of these classic games required. On top of that, repetition of various methods. Maybe its the forgiving nature of modern casual games that seem to attract insults, but hell, the basics are no different than D&D players and yet, casual gamers are not considered gamers. lol

Yeah, went off on a bit of a tangent but it is still relevant. Smile Its just that I consider all games, as games and not judge because of some bias. I love games. I LOVE THEM. *trembles in fear*

That reminds me. I’d love to play Snatcher some time. That game was recommended well but I failed to get a hold or figure out whats the best version to play.

Advie - 08 February 2013 08:16 PM

an easy game is a game the advanced players and new ones agree its easy ..
how do we tell the length of an adventure, is but by the dialogs length and the cuteness or the story .. its by the time needed for moderate Peron (not dumb no genies) to figure it out how to BEAT it and that is the right word for finishing an adventure you feel you had beaten it .. and beating something fluffy and soft is nothing to be proud of.

anyway i think the design the most effective thing a bout a game’s difficulty , give me three rooms to walk around and 5 items in my inventory and you really had blown it out .. what Makes Enda And Harvey the breakout a great game because it gets bigger and bigger and that is what makes it unique . you always have the chance to think which place to need to recheck and backtrack and…

let us stop here Grin

Though I can combat the idea that fluffy and soft is nothing to be proud of. I am proud to love the show ‘Pushing Daisies’ as it was the only show in life that didn’t make me feel like shit and put me in a good mood all the time. lol

Sometimes a game can be difficult and long but not based on content but by the complexity of the puzzles. hell a game can have three puzzles, lil dialog, and only five rooms and it could be considered really difficult. Good game? Maybe, but difficulty and quality content go hand in hand. No skip puzzles or unforgiving consequences. Very true for a lot of late 80’s and early 90’s games.

More flawed games I’d love to see redone. All of Elviras adventure rpg’s. They were all unique had carried something that I’ve never seen before, and thats the witty dark humor. Especially Elvira 2: Jaws of Cerberus. Hard as hell, dead ends, unforgiving, but unique and had a variety of elements.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Yeah, I would say Manhunter. The premise is really interesting and the graphics are actually pretty good for the resolution. It has a unique atmosphere. The interface and the gameplay, however, leave something to be desired.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Monolith - 08 February 2013 08:18 PM

We can’t deny that a lot of these classics (well overshadowed classics) require from the players, quite a bit of time to educate themselves in the basics of gameplay. Not to mention games that like BAT or Jack the Ripper which are so complex in method more than forgiving in gameplay.

I realize people complain about those that play Farmville or the like because its stupid and casual, yet these games require the same amount of dedication a lot of these classic games required. On top of that, repetition of various methods. Maybe its the forgiving nature of modern casual games that seem to attract insults, but hell, the basics are no different than D&D players and yet, casual gamers are not considered gamers. lol

Yeah, went off on a bit of a tangent but it is still relevant. Smile Its just that I consider all games, as games and not judge because of some bias. I love games. I LOVE THEM. *trembles in fear*

No, I agree with what you said and it is relevant! I was recently trying out a newer game called Crusader Kings, a strategy game where you have to track an enormous amount of information about your kingdom, your extended family and finances. I could not imagine playing it in my spare time (which is what I’m used to) and wondered how the people who play it can manage it. I think many old games were hard to play (as opposed to being difficult) but they put up with it because there wasn’t much else to turn to. Now we don’t put up with it because we expect better. We’re less patient with that.

We shouldn’t criticize games as being too easy or too hard. I love the diversity of games. People are scared that casuals will conquer the world but that’s nonsense. They are what they are and there will be an passionate audience for them even if you don’t like them, just like there is a passionate audience for difficult games.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Absolutely Zifnab. Difficulty can work for a game. As long as the formula allows gamers that   Drop In and Drop Out without changing your lifestyle to manage completion of a game (more proof that these casual facebooks games can be very similiar to the life changing retro games).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree with this. Nowadays we can get by with walkthroughs, but back in the day there were many games that I had to leave unfinished because I was stuck.
I’ve always been in it more for the story than for the challenge, so I’ve always preferred my games slightly easier but at least without getting stuck…

Advie - 08 February 2013 06:52 PM

I’m sorry, Advie, but that’s probably the worst comment you’ve made on these forums so far…
A game’s quality and a game’s difficulty have very little to do with each other.
If you don’t like easy games, then don’t play them, but please don’t go saying that they can’t possibly be great. Some of the best - nay, MOST of the best games I’ve played in recent years have been easy (visual novels being a large part of that). Games like Phoenix Wright, Time Hollow, Jake Hunter, 999, To the Moon, Lost Horizon - I consider those ALL great and ALL easy (Jake Hunter and To the Moon even “VERY easy”).
Isn’t The Walking Dead considered easy as well? Remind me again which game won all those awards this year? Tongue

I agree. I made a post once (could’ve been in the archives) about how it’s our perception that’s changed and how “lack of time when compared to when we were younger” and “less patience” made us go for a walkthrough faster and/or made game developers make easier games.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 09 February 2013 06:00 AM
Advie - 08 February 2013 06:52 PM

I’m sorry, Advie, but that’s probably the worst comment you’ve made on these forums so far…
A game’s quality and a game’s difficulty have very little to do with each other.
If you don’t like easy games, then don’t play them, but please don’t go saying that they can’t possibly be great. Some of the best - nay, MOST of the best games I’ve played in recent years have been easy (visual novels being a large part of that). Games like Phoenix Wright, Time Hollow, Jake Hunter, 999, To the Moon, Lost Horizon - I consider those ALL great and ALL easy (Jake Hunter and To the Moon even “VERY easy”).
Isn’t The Walking Dead considered easy as well? Remind me again which game won all those awards this year? Tongue

I kind of agree with Advie on this one, not that a game can’t be easy and great at the same time, but that the difficulty of a game is also very important.

For me a game has to provide me with some challenges, not just adventure games but all games, and an important part of gaming for me is when you have these Heuraka moments, where you finally figure out how to solve a puzzle, or kill a boss or ...
If a game doesn’t provide any challenges then it is missing a very important part IMO.

The tricky part is getting the difficulty right, too easy and the challenges are gone, too difficult and people will get stuck and lose patience with the game. And to make it even more tricky, it is not a fixed balance, but depends entirely on your target audience, an easy game for an experienced adventure gamer, might be a difficult game for someone new to the genre.

I think that part of the success of TWD, was that they didn’t have adventure gamers as there target audience, but tried (and succeded) to reach a different audience, the downside of this is that they also lost some of their core audience.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

On the subject of Remaking flawed games, then there is a say where i come from: Never go back to a dud!

And IMO this also applies to flawed games. Instead of trying to fix what was wrong with a game, then why not just write it off, learn from your mistakes, and come up with a new idea for a game?
Odds are that if the game was flawed to beging with, then it isn’t just a easy fix, and you will never get a great game out of it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top