• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Remaking flawed games

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 09 February 2013 06:00 AM
Advie - 08 February 2013 06:52 PM

there no great easy Adventure (a fact)

I’m sorry, Advie, but that’s probably the worst comment you’ve made on these forums so far…
A game’s quality and a game’s difficulty have very little to do with each other.

i had worse Timo Grin
but can you spot me out one title at the Your AG Top 100’s that is easy
take a look at the HoP and tell me why those 10 awaiting titles are eternal and well live forever , isn’t it because they are all connected someway or the other to Adventures and Devs who gave us something to remember,

you just can not remember a walk at the park even if its 2 years old but you can easily remember a walk at Vladilen or Strak or Booty island no matter how long it was

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 09 February 2013 11:25 AM

but can you spot me out one title at the Your AG Top 100’s that is easy

Out of the AG Top 100?

61. Loom
60. Another Code: Two Memories /  Trace Memory
52. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
47. Professor Layton and the Curious Village
38. Full Throttle
29. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

And that’s just from the 35 or so titles that I’ve actually played…

Advie - 09 February 2013 11:25 AM

take a look at the HoP and tell me why those 10 awaiting title are eternal and well live forever , isn’t it because they are all connected someway or the other to Adventures and Devs who gave us something to remember,

I’ll more easily remember a great story than a puzzle (easy or difficult).
Everybody keeps mentioning how hard Discworld is as a game. I just remember a few great gags and having a lot of fun. I don’t recall it being overly hard, even though I don’t doubt that it was.

Also, looking at the hypo-o-meter doesn’t tell you anything.
DFA’s difficulty is as of yet unknown.
Dreamfall was easy and The Longest Journey had a good difficulty, Dreamfall Chapters could go either way. And FWIW, I liked Dreamfall better than The Longest Journey.
I have played the first two Broken Sword games and have almost no recollection of them at all. I can’t even remember the goat puzzle, so they didn’t really give me something to remember.
The rest of the HoM are either new games (of which the difficulty is still unknown) or games where I never played the earlier titles, so I can’t have an opinion.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I was stuck several times in Full Throttle. The chain/door thing and the car/dog stuff was incredibly hard (to me anyway).

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 09 February 2013 10:23 AM

On the subject of Remaking flawed games, then there is a say where i come from: Never go back to a dud!

And IMO this also applies to flawed games. Instead of trying to fix what was wrong with a game, then why not just write it off, learn from your mistakes, and come up with a new idea for a game?
Odds are that if the game was flawed to beging with, then it isn’t just a easy fix, and you will never get a great game out of it.

These games aren’t duds, they’re great games ruined by a few terrible things. Ones you hate to tear yourself away from but you feel you have to because they are near unplayable. Making objects more visible, removing dead ends and mazes, improving that one impossible scene - yes, all are easy fixes.

Have you played any of the games mentioned in the thread?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

those are not easy games Timo (another fact)
unless you mean just kinda of ..cuz they can not be compared them to Chronicles of mystery easiness ( for example ) ...

and again lets stop here , no need to go extremely go of topic and ruin Zifnab thread Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 09 February 2013 11:53 AM

those are not easy games Timo (another fact)

Just like you can’t quantify taste, you can’t really quantify difficulty. I found those games easy, so you can’t claim they’re not and then call that a fact. There are probably games that I call difficult, but that someone else finds easy. The word ‘fact’ doesn’t apply in matters that are this subjective… Wink

Also, it’s not really going off-topic if you keep insinuating that easy games are per definition flawed… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I love you man Grin

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 09 February 2013 11:53 AM

These games aren’t duds, they’re great games ruined by a few terrible things. Ones you hate to tear yourself away from but you feel you have to because they are near unplayable. Making objects more visible, removing dead ends and mazes, improving that one impossible scene - yes, all are easy fixes.

Have you played any of the games mentioned in the thread?

Some but not all of them, and yes there are some things you could do to make them better. But why bother, if it is just one problem or flaw, then you can usally get around it by using a walkthrough, and if the game is more or less unplayable, then it is a dud in my book.

But my comment is more of a general comment on remaking games vs making new games, then it is a comment on the actual suggestions made in this thread.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I want some love. Frown

Iznogood - 09 February 2013 12:07 PM

Some but not all of them, and yes there are some things you could do to make them better. But why bother, if it is just one problem or flaw, then you can usally get around it by using a walkthrough, and if the game is more or less unplayable, then it is a dud in my book.

But my comment is more of a general comment on remaking games vs making new games, then it is a comment on the actual suggestions made in this thread.

So some absolutely grand and original ideas should just be forgotten and we should just continue making Lucasarts/Sierra Online, CoD, Zelda, Mario, etc clones? There are so many great games with unique ideas that failed not because they were duds per say, but because they were ahead of their time. If ‘Realms of a Haunting’ was made any earlier and it would of been a terrible game.

Not to mention some games were so complex they had to leave in dead ends, unforgiving instances, and more.

Sorry, but I’d actually like to play a Future Wars remake. Why? I don’t know, something about it felt unusual and different, something I’d like to see tactfully done. Maybe it was its unusual color palette or annoying control scheme or even some of the situations the character was put in. I want to see it brought back.

Not to mention, a lot of these games IP’s can be bought for real cheap. Problem? I say, move on if you have a problem with people that can see good in a pile of sh$@.

I still want to remake the very first true First Person Shooter, Catacomb 3-D. Something about an action/adventure fantasy game with a retro feel is just so fun!

Don’t fix what isn’t broken….but but…as game developers, its fun to fix games that are broken. Let us have your fun! Not to mention its all about creativity and you’re asking us to stay inside the box. In addition, these games failed because they couldn’t conform to the general design aesthetics for games. New ideas at times come with more problems, as at this point in the Game Industry, was not something that can be avoided.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

You have some good points Monolith, but personally i would rather see some new ideas and some new games, instead of reusing old ideas or remaking old games.

Monolith - 09 February 2013 02:48 PM

... and you’re asking us to stay inside the box.

I don’t recall saying anything about staying inside the box, but perhaps you weren’t referring to me personally?

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Iznogood, Another way to look at it is:

Imagine your 3 favorite adventure games. Now imagine them with a difficult action sequence every time you want to travel somewhere. Or an incredibly frustrating interface with lots of menus to click through every time you want to do something. Or a huge randomized maze to navigate every time you want to walk from one screen to another. Or a time limit so that you have to finish the game in under 3 hours or you die.

Would you say to hell with it, let them go, after all they are only duds? Or would you want them redone the way you know and love?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 09 February 2013 04:17 PM

You have some good points Monolith, but personally i would rather see some new ideas and some new games, instaed of reusing old ideas or remaking old games.

sorry to be an interrupter here but if i understand and agree about making new games better than remaking old one a space quest is better than remaking space quest 3, yeah!... but then answer me this Iznogood please .. do you like the way the Adventure games concept of remaking so far, i mean they are always just about a better and an enhanced production, that is all ..

but what do you think if those remakes turn out to be something totally different than the originals, like Hollywood’s Movies remakes ... i guess all the movies the had been remade had a little to do with the original picture but the main concept of course.. what do you think of that?

Monolith - 09 February 2013 02:48 PM

... and you’re asking us to stay inside the box.

speaking of Boxes
i am the man in the box and i dedicate this myself actually Wink  ...

i hope Kuru is seeing this, it might proves his idea about me and my shallow vision about AGs Tongue

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 09 February 2013 04:26 PM

Would you say to hell with it, let them go, after all they are only duds? Or would you want them redone the way you know and love?

I would say to hell with it Tongue
If there was so many flaws that they were a hell to play in the first place, then they wouldn’t be among my favorite games, and if it were only minor flaws, then i would love them despite their flaws.

Advie - 09 February 2013 04:27 PM

... but then answer me this Iznogood please .. do like the way the Adventure game concept of remaking so far, i mean they are always just about a better and an enhanced production, that is all ..

but what do you think if those remakes turn out something totally different than the originals, like Hollywood’s Movies remakes ... i guess all the movies the had been remade had a little to with the original picture but the main concept of course.. what do you think of that?

If it is just a question of reusing an old idea, or making a sequel to a game, then it is fine with me, but remaking an old game just to improve some aspects, without making major changes is not my cup of tea.

Okay i have actually played some remakes, like the two special editions of Monkey Island, but these were games i played and loved in the original version, and i think of them as a replay with better graphics, and would probadly have replayed them regardless of the remakes. And i would have preferred that they instead had made some new games in the series.

I actually fell exactly the same way about Hollywood remakes (or even stronger), i generally hate them and prefer the original movies, and i wish Hollywood would come up with some original ideas, instead of just remaking the same movies over and over again.

It’s not that i want to spoil your fun, if you feel that an old game really needs a remake, and some developer can see potential in doing so, then it is fine with me. It is just not for me, and if i were a game developer, i would never do it myself.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

haha, this is great topic. Anyways, I want to say this Iznogood. There is no such thing as a ‘new game’. Games will continue to copy others and others innovative in creative ways. Looking back at early retro games is a gold mine for ‘New Ideas’.

BAT for instance. Imagine a new game with the first person perspective, set up like a cyberpunk interactive comic and some pretty deep gaming mechanics? I’ve never seen a game like BAT ever in existence…. hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will change that, but I highly doubt it.

Here’s an idea. BAT or whatever a new game could be, could be setup like Skyrim. A vast first person open world, with dynamic crowds which you can talk to (sure the system can be set up like Knights of the Old Repubic’s dialog repetition system but the cool part about BAT was that you can talk to practically any person which range from Robots to Various Aliens), with reliance on weapon customization, hacking, and a weird health management system, and uncovering the mystery behind an inevitable sabotage event? Yeah I’ve been thinking about this for some time. Tongue Don’t want to drop all my ideas off in public.

If it wasn’t for Tim Schafer’s Maniac Mansion (sure the game wasn’t flawed), we wouldn’t have the totally awesome ‘the Cave’. Flawed or not, they are ideas and ideas are what matter, not the execution. If you can’t get past that, then this discussion is not for you, no offense. haha

Another point is that if it wasn’t for the flawed Elvira games, we wouldn’t even have Realms of a Haunting.

Some games were so bad because they got ahead of themselves. Seriously, some of these stories deserve to be retold with a proper presentation.

BTW, nice signature quote. lol Agreed.

Advie - 09 February 2013 04:27 PM

speaking of Boxes
i am the man in the box and i dedicate this myself actually Wink  ...

I love that song. lol

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Monolith - 09 February 2013 05:22 PM

There is no such thing as a ‘new game’. Games will continue to copy others and others innovative in creative ways. Looking back at early retro games is a gold mine for ‘New Ideas’.

I don’t disagree with that. When i talk about ‘new games’ and ‘new ideas’ i don’t mean that you have to reinvent the wheel everytime you make a new game, and there are some old ideas, that have never been fully explored. But when talking about remaking a game, it is not just about reusing an idea.

Some games were so bad because they got ahead of themselves. Seriously, some of these stories deserve to be retold with a proper presentation.

You do have a point here, i would however still prefer some ‘new’ stories Wink

BTW, nice signature quote. lol Agreed.

Im glad you like the quote, it is actually a quote from Lazlo Woodbine in “The Suburban Book Of The Dead - Armageddon III: The Remake” by Robert Rankin. If you haven’t read anything by Robert Rankin, i strongly recomend that you do, He is extremly funny and always makes me laugh out loud.

BTW i like your idea for a game, and hope that it will turn into a game one day.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top