• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Was the last decade too oppressed/disparaged?

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2016-09-11

PM

The reason it was considered dead was because tripple A budget games died around 2000. We’d never see a Sierra or Lucas Blockbuster again. That’s why Telltale was considered a big thing at the time when they entered the market. At the same time series like Syberia, Longest Journey, Runaway, Broken Sword 3/4 moved the graphical standard and presentation forward even if most of those aren’t classics.

Still the output was quiet low for the first half of this decade and picked up only towards the end.

The advent of successful ‘pixel art’/budget Wadget Eye and digital selling has seen very small developers create very good stories and gaming structures with low budgets after they saw our niche and the digital selling platform and thought ‘this takes less investment as a genre and I can make a commercially viable game’.

So no I think the last 10 years has seen the genre re-invigorated

My main worry is are King Art, Daedilic, Pendulu making enough $ to keep making adventure games?

Now you guys will have played way more AGs than myself as I’ve only played around 40 but my best experiences are generally from games released in the past decade. But we all have different tastes.

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2016-09-11

PM

Advie - 23 January 2018 02:31 PM
dumbeur - 23 January 2018 02:28 PM

Unjustifiably criticised?

i ve seen this but needed a word, one word. this subject or the meaning of the word ‘hehe’ in Arabic is so rich; has different… hmmm words.

I think underrated or maligned are the words you’re looking for Advie.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jackal - 23 January 2018 03:29 PM

]

Perhaps “unjustiably ignored” would suit your subject better. You mean people tend to write off the entire decade as a dead period for the genre, when really there were a surprising number of decent games released.

That is exactly the subject is about. where were you when i was thinking, but writing the story of my life Jack! Wink

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Genre was dead in North AMerica, however, quite alive in Europe. Most games in the 1999 - 2005 timeframe I purchased were developed in Europe and published by TAC.

In 1995, the DS went BANG and I was playing all these Japanese adventure games - many of which sold very, very well.

Today, I mainly play ios adventure games, many of which are developed in the US. It is good to see today’s variety in adventure games, most developers say it is digital publishing that saved it.

I know apple pays out 2/3 of what you spend to the developer - which is wonderful for both me and them.

The cost today is much lower, no more $69.99 games - on iOS, a $24.99 dollar game is a high priced one.

I still like physical games, a collectors edition of After the Storm is in my near future for purchase.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

If we’re being honest - we were spoiled in the ‘90s. Today it’s rare to find a handful of timeless games of the same genre year-per-year even if it’s a popular one like RPG or FPS.

This was not the case for adventure games in the ‘90s. A handful of classics every damn year. Maybe people just got burned out making it easier to be swept away by the new hotness of 3D action-adventure games.

The 2000s was the correction we needed to have. In fact, the 2000s was the best decade for adventure games because it taught us humility! Thank you 2000s. #advieWasRight

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A reminder of the yearly “best adventure game of…” forum voting

2000 - Longest Journey
2001 - Runaway
2002 - Syberia
2003 - Black Mirror
2004 - Moment of Silence
2005 - Still Life
2006 - Dreamfall
2007 - ...Portal maybe?
2008 - Sam and Max Season 2
2009 - Machinarium
2010 - Gray Matter

My main take is that the genre was not just lacking a significant number of releases (a lot of those years there’s only 1 game standing out)  but also very stale, innovation just kicked in at the last part of the decade.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 23 January 2018 05:34 PM

My main take is that the genre was not just lacking a significant number of releases (a lot of those years there’s only 1 game standing out)  but also very stale, innovation just kicked in at the last part of the decade.

Yes, a stale, dry period. I don’t see how anyone can dispute that. Just look at the years 2000 and 2001 in the Pagoda database. When you ignore the many children’s games, freeware, and pure puzzle games you’re left with a sad list of mediocre and subpar adventures with only one or two good ones which have already been mentioned.

http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com/year.php?year=2000
http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com/year.php?year=2001

EDIT: Having said that, I have fond memories of the flawed game Stupid Invaders and Shadow of Destiny was a breath of fresh air.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

But that list is just an indication of this forum’s taste, right? A group of old fans yearning for the glory days. It doesn’t truly paint a comprehensive picture of what was happening during the decade. The absence of Ace Attorney (and the inclusion of yucky Telltale titles) makes this noticeable.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

wilco - 23 January 2018 05:34 PM

I agree, there were decent games, but most felt unoriginal and low-budget. There were innovations too, like Uru that bankrupted Cyan, In Memorian that started well, but by the time eXperience112 came out people lost interest in the developer. Games by Kheops such as Return to Mysterious Island refreshened the formula by focusing on non-linearity and combining things. Pathologic tried something completely different. Culpa Innata promised a lot, but ended as a traditional adventure. Charles Cecil also called out for innovations and ended with The Sleeping Dragon. Penumbra series was praised for its physics-based puzzles, and Fahrenheit was considered a grand innovation at the time. But I think even that one didn’t sell well despite shining reviews and numerous awards. AGs didn’t make money.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Yeah - but Portal is on that list. Portal, if you contend is an adventure game, is one of the greatest games of all time and many would certainly rank it above any 10 games we vote as the greatest adventure titles of the 1990s.

I think Advie has a point. We’re making this assessment on a particular formula that we grew accustomed to and can’t see the forest from the trees. Look at some of these titles from the 2 Pagoda links that were posted: The Longest Journey, Fear Effect, D2, Shenmue, Ico… These are really good titles…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

thejobloshow - 23 January 2018 07:54 PM

We’re making this assessment on a particular formula that we grew accustomed to and can’t see the forest from the trees. Look at some of these titles from the 2 Pagoda links that were posted: The Longest Journey, Fear Effect, D2, Shenmue, Ico… These are really good titles…

All of those titles, with the exception of The Longest Journey, are action games. They may be excellent, but they are not adventures. Killing, shooting, running, ducking, climbing, jumping, whatever.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 23 January 2018 08:33 PM
thejobloshow - 23 January 2018 07:54 PM

We’re making this assessment on a particular formula that we grew accustomed to and can’t see the forest from the trees. Look at some of these titles from the 2 Pagoda links that were posted: The Longest Journey, Fear Effect, D2, Shenmue, Ico… These are really good titles…

All of those titles, with the exception of The Longest Journey, are action games. They may be excellent, but they are not adventures. Killing, shooting, running, ducking, climbing, jumping, whatever.

Yes Shenmue,D2,Feareffect etc aint AGs, comeon Jobloshow, you know better, i mean why you even putting them as AGs?
They even have systemshock in database, i wonder why they left other genres

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Thinking about this some more, Advie may be right that the ‘00s are underrated. You guys are missing one half of the equation - the number of bad games. There may have not been a huge number of great games in that era, but there also were not many poor games in comparison with today. Now I find in the last few years I have to sift through loads of crapware, walking sims with no story, adventures made in RPGmaker which look like a RPG from 1992, ugly retro graphics and homemade Unity titles anyone’s mom could have made. You didn’t have to do that 10-20 years ago.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Donuts McGee - 23 January 2018 09:05 PM

Now I find in the last few years I have to sift through loads of crapware, walking sims with no story, adventures made in RPGmaker which look like a RPG from 1992, ugly retro graphics and homemade Unity titles anyone’s mom could have made. You didn’t have to do that 10-20 years ago.

Examples…?

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Karlok - 23 January 2018 09:24 PM
Donuts McGee - 23 January 2018 09:05 PM

Now I find in the last few years I have to sift through loads of crapware, walking sims with no story, adventures made in RPGmaker which look like a RPG from 1992, ugly retro graphics and homemade Unity titles anyone’s mom could have made. You didn’t have to do that 10-20 years ago.

Examples…?

Plenty. I will have to confine myself to those I’ve played, but here are some from the last few years:

Stranded
The Revenge of Johnny Bonasera
The Hunting God
Murder in Tehran’s Alleys
Franz Kafka Videogame
Monumental
Lost Horizon 2
Black Island
Bayou Island
Sandra and Woo in the Cursed Adventure
Preston Sterling and the Legend of Excalibur
Detective Hayseed: Hollywood

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top