• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

rtrooney - 27 November 2013 10:23 PM

Let’s be practical. 3D budgets for adventures are never going to reach those of console games. And, thus, 3D adventure renderings are always going to look bad by comparison. I would rather see 2D, or 2.5D than poorly implemented 3D any time.

I get where you’re coming from but by following this strategy you’re alienating the large gamer crowd (and no I’m not talking about bleeding casual gamers) who don;t want to play a game with horribly outdated graphics. 2D is something of the past and if we choose to stick with it we’ll never be able to make AGs mainstream again. it’s a bit like saying movies should be black and white again. The technology has moved on and so should we.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t personally see 2D art as outdated if the art in question takes advantage of the modern resolutions and such. But sadly the higher resolution we go with traditional art, the more expensive it comes to produce. Not the background art itself, but the animation. And while I have appreciation on what cellshaded 2.5D games have tried to do, it is a difficult match to get right, so more often than not, the end result can look a bit off.

I like what Broken Age is doing with the paperdoll technique. It has allowed Double Fine to stay more concistant with the traditional art style and I think as an animation style it’s somethig more developers should start looking into. Potentially it could help to make animations more smoother and fluent.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

@gray pierce:

Last time I checked, the ominous mainstream crowd wasn’t interested in adventures mainly because of the slow gameplay. And when I say “adventures” I mean “Adventures” in the best classical sense. Pimping up the graphics will maybe lure some interested folks in, but “Adventures” will never be mainstream again. Never. The mainstream has become way to large for that.
And calling 2D horribly outdated is incredibly ignorant, be it your own opinion or just the one of the mainstream you are portraying.
That’s the kind of attitude that made it even harder for adventures when 3D was suddenly all the rage. Now they didn’t just play slow and boring for the average gamer, they looked horrible for almost everyone. In a genre, where you spend considerable time looking at the backgrounds, with nothing much else to do, instead of having them swoosh by while you strafe around corners and fire rockets at the same time.
In the end there are good graphics and bad.
2D, 2,5D or 3D: It doesn’t really matter any more. All of those have come a long way.
It’s just about using your resources smartly to get the most out of your budget and picking a style that suits your game.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Seriously, the “3D is greater than 2D” argument is flawed at best, ridiculous at worst (and that’s putting it mildly.)  It’s like saying paintings are worse than sculptures.  It is a completely arbitrary and baseless statement that frankly doesn’t even make sense in this day and age.  In today’s world of HD gaming, 2D graphics (when done well) are more beautiful than ever!

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I would agree to this.

Especially earlier 3D games (particularly adventure games) weren’t that pretty to look at.
(Gabriel Knight 3 comes to mind)
I remember that Dreamfall was the first 3D adventuregame that was actually decent to look at and the 3D was not as disturbing as before.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

tomimt - 28 November 2013 05:11 AM

I don’t personally see 2D art as outdated if the art in question takes advantage of the modern resolutions and such. But sadly the higher resolution we go with traditional art, the more expensive it comes to produce. Not the background art itself, but the animation.

^This.

I suspect this may be the reason why some of your friends (gray pierce) may find your carefully selected, modern 2D games to have an “outdated” look. Memoria has fantastic backgrounds, yes (though, some scenes have managed to forget to polish some disturbing digital brushstrokes), but the animations show clear signs of a limited budget, and that’s true for almost any 2D game from the past 15 years. Yes, many 2D games of today looks good, but they’re not exactly showcasing what can be done with 2D when budget isn’t of the issue.

For my part, I can’t really think of any 2D games since Curse of Monkey Island (1997) where everything, in game animations aswell as cutscenes, are done with such a passionate level of expertise, that it could compete with a Disney movie. If a 2D game was made today, with that kind of effort (and budget), with widescreen and HD resolution, I doubt people could claim it looks outdated even 50 years from now. 3D art get’s outdated as the technology curve rises. 2D art (without techological limitations such as a pixellated look) is timeless.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Curse of Monkey Island is indeed fantastic looking game. There was definetly a lot of money used to make it. If you’d release a 2d game today with comparable budget and skill there would be no question about the AAA status of the game.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Wow my post provoked some very strong reactions I see. Quite justly so I think. To be honest I am somewhat shocked by my own statements as well. And these thoughts are quite recent. It’s really only since I have joined the somewhat more mainstream crowd that I got an outside look into adventure gaming and saw just how much AGs will have to improve to be perceived as a noteworthy genre again.

@Shnubble: I agree that traditional adventures will never be mainstream again. But that’s precisely what I’m trying to say. If wish to regain some of that past glory we will have to innovate the games. Both in terms of graphics and gameplay. This isn’t the 90s anymore and we should accept and embrace that. Look at the huge success of TWD. Even casual gamers have apparently played it. If anything it shows that AGs can still be noteworthy as long as we don’t stick too our nostalgia and are willing to try new things. While of course at the same time not losing what makes AGs good. Strong storytelling and cerebral focussed gameplay.

@Lambonius: First of all let me state that I do not prefer 3D over 2D (nor the other way around) as I said I find games such as Memoria to be absolutely stunning looking. But to someone who is not an AG hardcore fan it just looks outdated because whichever way you try to put it. 2D is something of the 90s. No genre has used it anymore since the early 2000s. (except perhaps a couple of HOGs but that’s a very different crowd) If we wish to reach a wider audience we have to show them products that to some extend line up to their idea of modern looking games. Even if it is not what we would like to see at this point. And I’m not talking CoD generation. I have no contact whatsoever with those guys. I’m more refering to RPG gemers disliking the more action oriented gameplay of modern RPGs and Action Adventure gamers looking for a more cerebral experience.  And no it doesn’t have to be 3D to look attractive. Have you seen WoW? It’s got some of the ugliest 3D I have ever seen but still loads of people play it.

@Dag: In terms of Memoria I never got to show them an animation. (which look great to me btw) They lost interest halfway through the opening segment because of the way it looked and some of the gameplay.

Also I will not argue that 2D can look amazing (even though to be honest I think Memoria looks way better than CoMI) but too all non AG gamers it is a thing of the past and so any 2D game ever produced no matter how great the graphics will be perceived as retro at best and horribly outdated at it’s most likely.

Edit: I’d also like to add (even though that is not apparent form my earlier comments) that I’m not ruling out the fact the two can co-exist. In fact that is the option I’d most prefer. To both have these massive titles that appeal to a mainstream audience while also holding true to the core values of Adventure Gaming and at the same time having these much smaller moreunderground indie type games coming out appealing more to the hardcore AG fans.

Total Posts: 2110

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

tomimt - 28 November 2013 09:59 AM

Curse of Monkey Island is indeed fantastic looking game. There was definetly a lot of money used to make it. If you’d release a 2d game today with comparable budget and skill there would be no question about the AAA status of the game.

According to this info, CMI has sold 40,538 units so far in 1998 as of July, with a revenue of $1,576,281.00 American Dollars (that’s a 9-months period).
Also I remember the claim that Grim Fandango was the only LucasArts adventure that didn’t sell.

So it seems like the budget of CMI was under $1.5 mln (including publishing costs). This doesn’t seem that much. If so, Double Fine could’ve easily afforded itself to make one.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Doom - 28 November 2013 11:13 AM

So it seems like the budget of CMI was under $1.5 mln (including publishing costs). This doesn’t seem that much. If so, Double Fine could’ve easily afforded itself to make one.

We know from Tim Schafer that Full Throttle cost around $1.5m (then, so that’d be $2.2m now with inflation). CoMI had considerably more content and higher-res graphics, so I’d expect it cost quite a bit more.

And of course the animation in CoMI looks mediocre nowadays, both in terms of resolution and frame rate. Making something like that, fully 2D, with today’s quality standards, would cost much, much more than $1.5m.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

gray pierce - 28 November 2013 10:28 AM

@Dag: In terms of Memoria I never got to show them an animation. (which look great to me btw) They lost interest halfway through the opening segment because of the way it looked and some of the gameplay.

If they’ve seen the opening segment and some gameplay, then surely, they must’ve seem some animation? Unless you were showing them photgraphs of you playing the game? Tongue And then there’s the bad voice acting which quite likely helped turn them off.

Also I will not argue that 2D can look amazing (even though to be honest I think Memoria looks way better than CoMI) but too all non AG gamers it is a thing of the past and so any 2D game ever produced no matter how great the graphics will be perceived as retro at best and horribly outdated at it’s most likely.

I find it rather strange how you know how visual presentation of a game is perceived by every single human being without an AG background. You must possess knowledge of a level I could never hope to achieve, and as such, I forfeit the argument Tongue (Though I can’t resist to add, that I find it unfathomably puzzling that you don’t see the difference in quality between the animations in CoMI and Memoria Wink )

Kurufinwe - 28 November 2013 11:30 AM

And of course the animation in CoMI looks mediocre nowadays, both in terms of resolution and frame rate. Making something like that, fully 2D, with today’s quality standards, would cost much, much more than $1.5m.

Exactly, and a 2D game of that scope hasn’t been made ever since, which is why I believe if such a game were made today (without the limitations apparent in CoMi by todays standards), no one, including gray’s friends, would think it looked outdated.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The animation quality in Memoria isn’t even close to the animation quality in Curse. I remember playing Memoria the first time and thinking how nice it looked, but how the animation quality stood out as clear improvement target. And then, of course, the characters started to talk.

I’d say, if you’d do a game with CoMI quality today you’d be looking at least 5 million budget with traditional animation style.

Total Posts: 2110

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

We know from Tim Schafer that Full Throttle cost around $1.5m (then, so that’d be $2.2m now with inflation). CoMI had considerably more content and higher-res graphics, so I’d expect it cost quite a bit more.

There’s no official info on LucasArts’ budgets and sales (and that’s a shame!), I just compared the facts. If those were the sales after 9 months, and they were satisfactory (the 4th game followed in 2 years after all), this means the budget was below $1.5 mln. Full Throttle could’ve costed more for different reasons, this doesn’t necessary mean graphics. King’s Quest costed over $700.000 - in 1983 Smile

Also take into consideration that Kickstarter and online stores = significantly lower publishing costs. My guess is that Tim could’ve afforded a cartoon adventure in similar style, even in high res. Of course, Jane’s case is very different, but who talks about Disney quality? Simple stylish 2D with simple, yet effective animation would’ve worked better than those seriously flawed 3D models. And I think that’s what she was aiming at (before moving to Phoenix).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@pierce

Your immediate social circle might not be the best indicator of mainstream success.
For cross reference here is some 2D games breakdown.

360 only
Limbo 892,000 total units
Braid around .5 million

Non AG
Castlecrashers 2.6 million (360)
AngryBirds I dont need to mention i guess Tongue

So add PS3/PC sales too and its a lot for indie game with limited workforce.
So it doable for not just AG to be 2D but gameboyish/flashbased type 2D
Angrybirds can worth billions too.

For more reference, you can see if upcoming 3D game Witness will do better, and it
does look AAA.

Total Posts: 6598

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

And of course the animation in CoMI looks mediocre nowadays

Perhaps only resolution-wise, but I’d say the animation has gone a step backward since - just look at the papercut-dolls trend, like that in Chains of Satinav, or “3 frames per second” eagle from BS5.

Apart from Toonstruck, I can’t really think of a better animated title before or after it. I’d argue that backgrounds are matched (or perhaps surpassed, like in The Whispered World but that’s a question of a style/individual taste question) but not the actual level of animation.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top