• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

seagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

well, having played TSL, cognition, and the moebius beta I can say with some certainty that awkwardly long camera theatrics are an established POS trait. It doesn’t ruin a game in itself, but I do wish it was different.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

fov - 03 December 2013 03:13 PM

I do think a lot of people are being unnecessarily mean and I don’t really understand why, but that’s the internet for you.

GIFT!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

fov - 03 December 2013 03:13 PM

Re the GiantBomb comments, Jane’s name gets people talking about this game who wouldn’t normally bother talking about a small(ish) budget, indie adventure game. The people who are taking potshots at it aren’t going to buy it anyway, and the fact that they’re saying mean things isn’t going to keep the people who love adventures and Jane’s games from playing it. I do think a lot of people are being unnecessarily mean and I don’t really understand why, but that’s the internet for you.

We used to hear the same things at Telltale before Sam & Max came out. I remember when Culture Shock released and it got good reviews, people were incredulous in the comments that reviewers actually liked the game. But these pre-launch potshots really have nothing to do with the actual game… people are picking at what they see because they feel this need to pick at it and these assets are all they have available. Once the game is out and people can talk about it as a whole, the conversation’s going to change (or at least it’ll have more substance).

Can I marry you? (not literally of course)

Also I want to add that I think Moebius is the coolest name I’ve heard in a long while. But then maybe that’s because I’m a pretty big fan of The Incal.

And yes I am pretty excited about this game. I think the story sounds great and it looks fine to me. The only thing that bothered me was that David was not a woman which to me would’ve made more sense. PLus I like female protagonists in games. But then someone brought up the homosexual element and that could be very interesting if it were to be followed through. Either way I’m sure JJ will deliver a pretty good perhaps even outstanding product.

Finally I’d like to add I;ve sort of stopped replying to this thread. It’s because there’s so much to reply to and I don’t really have the time to do it all. I just sort of popped in to support Fov’s wonderful post.

Total Posts: 2110

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wow. People think too deep into everything these days. How does a bodyguard subplot suggests there are homoerotic elements? GK2 did have those undertones, but the circumstances were completely different. I bet there’s more to the characters, but I hope Jane didn’t repeat herself and invented something more interesting.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Doom - 04 December 2013 10:14 AM

Wow. People think too deep into everything these days. How does a bodyguard subplot suggests there are homoerotic elements?

Because these days it’s okay to be Takei?

But in all seriousnes, perhaps people just want to see a well written gay romance instead of your typical bromance for a change?

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

tomimt - 04 December 2013 10:29 AM
Doom - 04 December 2013 10:14 AM

Wow. People think too deep into everything these days. How does a bodyguard subplot suggests there are homoerotic elements?

Because these days it’s okay to be Takei?

But in all seriousnes, perhaps people just want to see a well written gay romance instead of your typical bromance for a change?

I thought people expected a great mystery, not a romance. There’s plenty of literature and movies regarding gay themes, not to mention Jane’s own GK2. Turning everything into “bi- mystery” is surely not a change, and even the bodyguard plot on its own seems more fresh to me. But, as always, it’s up to Jane Smile

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think some people want both, well written mystery AND gay romance. But yeah, it’s always amusing to see people reading too much from short snippets of character interaction.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I definitely want a well written mystery and romance, gay or hetero or inter-species, I don’t really care about that part.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Well, romance sure helps to build the characters, that’s true. But I expect something more interesting regarding bodyguarding Smile I have nothing against gay characters or gay motives met during the game.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

“Malachi, let me guard your body here in the shower”
bom chicka wah wah

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

tomimt - 04 December 2013 12:42 PM

“Malachi, let me guard your body here in the shower”
bom chicka wah wah

Hahaha Grin

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Something that’s always interesting in Jane’s games (to me, at least) is that there’s more than one plot unfolding. In GK the mystery was front and center, but the developing relationship between Gabe and Grace was equally interesting and the mystery and romance become intertwined at times.

Same with the Gabe / Von Glower friendship in GK2—the mystery would not have been as powerful if that dynamic hadn’t existed, and the dynamic between them wouldn’t have been as interesting if not for how it informed and influenced the mystery. Character relationships are something Jane’s really good at and I think one of the key elements that makes something a “Jane Jensen game”.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yes, what fov said. I really enjoy some character development and relations in my fiction. I follow many tv-series that might not be the classiest entertainment but have really, really delicious characters and drama between them. It doesn’t always have to be a romance, it can also be about friendship or something even more complex than that (for example Graham and Hannibal in the new series - and just to note, Hannibal is an actual AAA-serie, not just one of my guilty pleasures).

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

the whole game is now playable in beta form. Time to start playing Smile

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

tomimt - 04 December 2013 10:54 AM

I think some people want both, well written mystery AND gay romance. But yeah, it’s always amusing to see people reading too much from short snippets of character interaction.

lol oh no no no. This isnt a case of people “reading too much” into it. I mean hell, i just played the scene in chapter 3 where gretchen flat-out asks david if hes straight, and he refuses to answer. Its kind of awkward and im not sure where theyr going with it at this point Tongue
It could just be a running “joke” i guess.. but there can be no doubt devs provoked some speculation here Wink
Anyway, regardless the game is fun. Its really nice seeing the game so close to completion.

EDIT: finished…. eh….. not a great game.. will have to see how the final version is.
EDIT2: looking back… the concept art for this game was so much cooler than the resulting product. The original sketch of malachi was waaay better. And whatevers going on in that picture with the sky or the girl running with the reflection, is way more interesting than anything that happens in the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top