• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #54: Blade Runner

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

chrissie - 28 July 2019 12:03 PM
McCoy97 - 28 July 2019 11:09 AM

Gotta say I think there’s a little mistake in the game? I dunno. But in my game no one ended up buying the scorpions. The scorpions are still at the dragonfly booth. But in one of the photos above I found the box of scorpions. I went back to the dragonfly booth but the scorpions were still there and I can’t ask the lady about anything new anymore. Also… next spoiler..

...there are no scorpions in Early Q’s office. I forgot that the scorpions aren’t always there. But still, why is there a pic of the scorpions in that photo?

That seems like a little bit of a bug. I think I’ve grasped that one of the photos you can get in Act 2? behind Mccoy is a scene of a woman in a black dress with a box of scorpions?

Yup I got the other version of that photo showing Deckard behind McCoy. Other games will show that photo with Dektora with the box of scorpions. That means she bought them and took it with her to Early Q’s. If she didn’t buy them (like in my game) they won’t turn up in Early Q’s office and the chair will be safe to sit on :p But like stroggoff said, looks like there’s a design inconsistency because no matter what, you can see the box of scorpions in one of the dressing room photos, even if Dektora didn’t buy them.

Inconsistencies or not, this is still an amazing game and developers such as Telltale could’ve learned a thing or two from Blade Runner in how to make a proper game with choices and consequences Smile

I didn’t find Guzza in this act but I’m not sure I looked!

I don’t know if it happens every time in every game, but you can catch a glimpse of Guzza entering the VIP part of Early Q’s club when you first enter. And then other than seeing him near China Bar, finding him in his office was the first time I saw him since the start of the game.

That’s interesting - I never thought to do that or perhaps the opportunity didn’t arise?

I think it’s different from game to game. Because sometimes Gordo attacks you. I think that means he’s def a rep. I think you can only arrest him if he’s human but I’m not sure.

I’m not sure I was able to test Dektora?

I think it was the last thing I did with her right before that cutscene where McCoy was knocked out and interrogated.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

stroggoff - 28 July 2019 12:19 PM

That’s for Zuben. If you hadn’t “reported in” after retiring Zuben, you’re having that conversation now.

Thing is though I got 200 bucks at the start of the game after retiring Zuben. I figured I must have gotten it from Gaff when he spoke to me on the apartment rooftop.

And I think I only got $100 in act 3 when I was finally able to report in with Guzza. Because before that I had 420, now I have 520 Smile

How much (useless) money do all of you have right now?

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Well I’ve made it to the start of act 3!

Forgot I needed to restart the game to set the difficulty so I guess im on medium. Also I didn’t read the other posts closely enough so I figured selecting Directors cut would give me more content rather than remove some so whoops Shifty Eyed

I definitely missed a clue in the first area since I only managed to get crowd interview B, also i didnt notice the security camera before everyone left so I’m guessing there would have been footageespecially since when i got the photo of the second suspect at the bar McCoy reacted as if he had seen him before

Dunno how well I’m doing with things, I failed to dodge Zubens soup, although i think the game may have hiccuped when I was supposed to gain control since i never saw any cursor appear until after getting up from the floor. who is the guy in the black suit with the walking stick? It was weird enough that Zuben somehow managed to figure out where McCoy stayed and make it to the roof to wait for him but then some other guy is also waiting on the other side of the roof to congratulate you on your first kill? Grin

I think I ended up with the Deckardless photo although i haven’t given the photo much of an inspection and I never noticed any scorpions being at the insect hut but I may have just overlooked them.

Pretty interested in giving this game a second playthrough right away so I may just push on and then restart with the directors cut option toggled off.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Bear in mind there is no right or wrong way to play the game. Just do what you can and see where the game takes you. Absolutely no one is going to see or do everything there is to see or do in their first few playthroughs and your game will be a bit different every time Smile

About the cursor in Zuben’s kitchen, it literally appears just for a split second or so, so just start clicking when he gets angrier. In your next playthroughs you’ll probably remember to position your cursor to the right before he spills the soup.

The guy with the walking stick is Gaff, another but far more experienced Blade Runner. He’s one of the characters from the movie. I guess you can say he’s also sort of a mentor for McCoy and others like Deckard and he always keeps an eye on other Blade Runners. I sort of see him as McCoy’s superior or the “leader” of the Blade Runners Smile

I too found it a bit weird that he shows up on the rooftop as soon as you retire Zuben. If you deal with Zuben in Chinatown then he’ll be waiting outside which is much better.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karmillo - 28 July 2019 03:43 PM

Well I’ve made it to the start of act 3!

Thumbs Up  I’m glad you’ve managed to catch up!

Pretty interested in giving this game a second playthrough right away so I may just push on and then restart with the directors cut option toggled off.

It’s just one of those game’s that if it grabs you you just have to!  Smile

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve reached Act 4, continuing the path of siding with the replicants.

stroggoff - 25 July 2019 05:19 PM

BR is in ScummVM’s scope, not ResidualVM’s.

Out of curiosity, why is Blader Runner in the scope of ScummVM while The Longest Journey is in ResidualVM’s?

Doom - 27 July 2019 03:49 PM

I played a bit further since I had free time on my hands and stumbled across a game-stopping bug: During the 3rd act I went to the Early Q’s club and sneaked a hidden disk from Q’s private room despite his attempts to stop me. I then scanned one of the photos with the leader of replicants, but when I tried to enlarge the lower right corner, the game crashed

This happened to me too. I can however confirm that the bug was fixed in a later build.

chrissie - 28 July 2019 07:08 AM

Congratulations Pegbiter!  Thumbs Up

Thanks!

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Pegbiter - 29 July 2019 07:29 PM

I’ve reached Act 4, continuing the path of siding with the replicants.

stroggoff - 25 July 2019 05:19 PM

BR is in ScummVM’s scope, not ResidualVM’s.

Out of curiosity, why is Blader Runner in the scope of ScummVM while The Longest Journey is in ResidualVM’s?

Blade Runner does 3d differently than The Longest Journey. It exclusively uses software rendering (as opposed to 3d hardware acceleration) and their 3d models (voxel-like) work differently than the more proper 3d models of The Longest Journey (and other titles that use 3d hardware acceleration). You could say that Blade Runner “fakes” some of the 3d—although its character models can be fully rotated at least around the y axis. This was a design choice so that the game could run on most of the available hardware configurations at the time.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

stroggoff - 28 July 2019 09:52 AM

In the shooting range, anyone who is not carrying a gun is an innocent. So some of the men dummies are not enemies too. As mentioned before you have to shoot them after they start turning towards you (so that McCoy should be certain they are enemies). Guesswork, will penalize the player, even if they are correct.

Also, you should only exit a maze room after the announcer says “Completed Sequence. Proceed to next ...”

The easy mode in the original version of the game should not have many differences from the ScummVM version. The speed of the targets in that mode should be identical between these two versions in Easy.

I did have another go waiting for the announcer before moving-on & taking care not to shoot anyone until they started turning towards me & could see they were an enemy.
I got shot at a lot more but amazingly I ended up with a positive score of 52!

The speed of the targets was very slow & it seemed to take forever before the sequences were announced as completed. 

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

chrissie - 30 July 2019 04:14 AM

I got shot at a lot more but amazingly I ended up with a positive score of 52!

That’s a decent score. Getting shot is -1 point, but if you then shoot the enemy, it is +1 point so the sum will be zero (at least it’s not negative Smile )

One thing I’d like to mention about the game so far (up to Act 3 - I’m still at the beginning of the Act); Sebastian is a character in the movie and the book, but in the book he has a different name (the book has quite a few differences in plot and focus from the movie btw), and he is a “special”. The game may have mentioned “specials” in a news announcement on TV at the Police Station or McCoy’s apartment (it may also have not). Specials are people who got some mutation from the radiation after the Final Terran War; they are generally marginalized from the society and many choose to live in isolation. They are also not allowed to travel to the Off-World colonies.

I think in the movie, iirc, Sebastian is simply presented as a quite naive person who suffers from a degenerative disease. No mention of him being a “Special”.

Anyway, a cool thing in the game that is related to Sebastian’s apartment (and is in the movie and the book) is the idea of the “kipple”. Piles of useless and/or broken stuff and garbage that gathering up in apartments and around in the city and “claiming space” from the people who actually live there.

The “kipple”, which is a result of the rumble that the Last Terran War left behind (and probably the massive migration to the Off-World colonies), is also the reason why garbage collecting companies are most profitable in this era. In the game, at a few locations you may see garbage collecting trucks passing by.

The city is also surrounded by the general area called the “Kipple” (where the atmosphere is considered highly toxic and where all the collected garbage end up).

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I also made it to Act 3 and played a little bit through Act 4. I’ve been busy the last couple of weeks but I should be able to be on schedule for Sunday Smile

I actually got stuck in Act 3 and spent a lot time roaming around until I had to read a walkthrough (I know shame on me, there’s barely any puzzles!) It was because after doing everything in DNA Row I was out of leads and I didn’t know I had to keep talking to the guy in the Eye place. I talked to him after the death of Moraji and I thought he didn’t have anything left to say Shifty Eyed 

One big question that I have is how come I haven’t been able to do any VK tests? I didn’t have the option with Bob, and before that I didn’t have it either with the prisoner and Zuben of course runs before I can do it. Am I doing something wrong or is that one of the many variables of this game because of the way I’m playing?

Also, I didn’t see Guzza in the whole Act so I couldn’t meet Tyrell which I would have loved. What are the conditions for this to happen? I’m not sure if you guys mentioned it.

And finally my encounter with Izo ended with Crystal killing him in the street, but I didn’t see the glasses you guys are talking about that make you realize he is a replicant

I liked how the Act ended. It made me feel more interested in and more sympathetic with the Reps (well specially with Lucy) Also loved the atmosphere in Sebastian’s apartment, I remember it from the movie even though it’s been a while. Thank you strogoff for those insights. I do remember the TV ad saying that bit about Specials

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

I wouldn’t know if there are any variables when it comes to who you can VK or not. I’ll leave that one for stroggoff lol.

All I know is I have been able to VK all possible characters so far. I’ve successfully VK’d Grigorian in act 1, Bob in act 2 and Dektora in act 3. Zuben and Lucy will always run away if you try to VK them, although Lucy may or may not volunteer for the test later.

Btw if I remember correctly they are the only 4 characters in the game you can VK. Can’t remember that I’ve ever VK’d anyone else.

And I think dialogue choices are also important. Because some characters will refuse to talk to you if you ask them about certain things, but yeah I’ve had no problem getting to VK anyone so far. I do remember though that I couldn’t always VK Grigorian in previous playthroughs so maybe it is one of those random things. I think I’ve always had the option to VK Bob and Dektora though. At least with user choice selected. You won’t always get to VK someone if you don’t select user choice. Only Lucy left to go for me if I get the opportunity

As for Guzza, I’ve only seen him in the office once since the start of the game and that was in act 3. I checked every chance I got lol but I think it’s totally random because like stroggoff mentioned he moves around. Any excuse not to do his job haha. I don’t think there is anything that needs to be done for him to be in the office. You just have to hope he’s there at some stage Smile There comes a point in the game where he won’t ever go back to the office though. I think act 3 is the last chance you have to get that meeting with Tyrell.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

stroggoff - 30 July 2019 04:44 AM

The city is also surrounded by the general area called the “Kipple” (where the atmosphere is considered highly toxic and where all the collected garbage end up).

This area is excellently portrayed in Blade Runner 2049, a sequel set in the future, which is well worth watching if you haven’t already!

danigar - 31 July 2019 11:52 PM

I actually got stuck in Act 3 and spent a lot time roaming around until I had to read a walkthrough (I know shame on me, there’s barely any puzzles!) It was because after doing everything in DNA Row I was out of leads and I didn’t know I had to keep talking to the guy in the Eye place. I talked to him after the death of Moraji and I thought he didn’t have anything left to say Shifty Eyed 

It seems like it was Act 2 you got stuck in danigar?
I’d already spoken to Chew? - the eye guy so wasn’t expecting him to tell me where to find Sebastian so I got stuck there too!

One big question that I have is how come I haven’t been able to do any VK tests? I didn’t have the option with Bob, and before that I didn’t have it either with the prisoner and Zuben of course runs before I can do it. Am I doing something wrong or is that one of the many variables of this game because of the way I’m playing?

In my first playthrough I only had the chance to VK one person (can’t remember who) but replaying the whole game again + some sections I was able to VK everyone McCoy mentioned. With Dektora I found it depended (if I’m remembering properly) on what order you ask about different subjects. 

Also, I didn’t see Guzza in the whole Act so I couldn’t meet Tyrell which I would have loved. What are the conditions for this to happen? I’m not sure if you guys mentioned it.

I got to see Tyrell in Act 2 + Rachael in one playthrough after seeing Guzza in his office but not in subsequent playthroughs as Guzza was never there

And finally my encounter with Izo ended with Crystal killing him in the street, but I didn’t see the glasses you guys are talking about that make you realize he is a replicant

As McCoy mentioned in an earlier post they are quite difficult to spot but I found them below Izo’s shop in front of the platform where you see the shelves but I don’t know if they are found there if Izo’s not a replicant?

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

chrissie - 01 August 2019 01:24 PM

It seems like it was Act 2 you got stuck in danigar?
I’d already spoken to Chew? - the eye guy so wasn’t expecting him to tell me where to find Sebastian so I got stuck there too!

Yeah I got my Act numbers mixed up. I meant I finished Act 2 and was now in Act 3, which by the way I also got stuck in the nightclub where I met EasyQ and the Dragonfly lady. Unless I missed some clue how was I supposed to know that I had to evade the guy and sit on that VIP seat. I read on a walkthrough that you see Early sitting there or something but I’m pretty sure I never saw anybody. I kept thinking that I had to make an appointment or have a warrant or something

Then I was finally able to do my first VK test to the lady but I didn’t know what I was doing Tongue Do you have to reach some goal or do you just make your own conclusion based on questions and how she reacts? I think she was human in my playthrough because that was the only gauge that moved everytime

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

danigar - 01 August 2019 06:55 PM

Then I was finally able to do my first VK test to the lady but I didn’t know what I was doing Tongue Do you have to reach some goal or do you just make your own conclusion based on questions and how she reacts? I think she was human in my playthrough because that was the only gauge that moved everytime

For the VK tests, McCoy can ask up to 10 questions. The test can end with a positive result (you will hear a voice announcing that the subject is Human or Replicant), with an “inconclusive result” (again you will hear a voice announcing this). However, the test can also be terminated if the subject gets very upset (or if McCoy/the player terminates it).

The general strategy is to not go for all High Intensity (which will cause a reaction, but might upset the subject), neither for all Low Intensity (which will not be very upsetting but will also won’t easily produce intense enough reactions for a positive result).

You can watch how the needles move and some of the questions will have different (or at least nuanced) answers depending on the subjects nature, so it is possible to make a good guess even if the test does not end with a clear result.

There is also one sort of fun thing that can be done with the VK machine and that is that McCoy can be a jerk and mess with the calibration needle so that the subject will “read” as a Replicant. Actually, there are quite a few of such of options in the game (of playing McCoy as a huge jerk) Grin.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I liked how the Act ended. It made me feel more interested in and more sympathetic with the Reps (well specially with Lucy)

I loved this part of the game too, the movie was so similar, by the end of the movie you really felt something for them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top