You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Two Guys from Andromeda return (and launch Kickstarter campaign)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #81
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi View Post
I honestly couldn't care less about this, I never liked the Space Quest in the first place. I'm just hoping YET ANOTHER ADVENTURE KICKSTARTER doesn't hurt Tex Murphy's chances of getting funded when that Kickstarter launches later on.
^ This pretty much sums up my feelings about this particular Kickstarter.

Plus their pitch is bad, imo. It's better than that previous video, but not by a lot...
Old 05-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #82
A.A

Their pitch was fine. Rather liked the video with the voice actors...nice animation to start off, too. No probs there for me.

But I'm all focused on Jensen for the minute, and I won't be going very high when I do pledge, but I'll give something in a couple of weeks.

Geez, some of the negativity on here is kinda repulsive.

It's not the disliking of the kickstarter so much as the way it's being expressed. Incredibly obnoxious.

Give them a damn chance! Bah!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #83
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Am I the only one who finds it disturbing that they offer free wallpapers in three entirely outdated resolutions? Shouldn't there be limits to nostalgia?
Actually, the first thing I said to my boyfriend when I looked at the kickstarter was (after, "apparently the space quest guys' kickstarter launched today") their highest resolution wallpaper is 1280? And they're offering a 800x600 one? What kind of pc's do they think we have?"

I gave to Double Fine because I've played and sort-of enjoyed their latest games, so even if the game turned out to be a new casual thing like Stacking, it wouldn't be revolutionizing but I would have fun. I only bought the pre-order level anyway, so it was nothing different than pre-ordering their game through normal channels.
Jane Jensen got my 50 bucks when she announced the second game, before that I was in at the 30$ reward, because I found Gray Matter entertaining enough to be interested in another game from her. But if she hadn't worked on her kick-starter campaign like she did, with the poll, the game concepts, protagonist and lots of other info, I might not have been confident enough to increase to a higher level (also she's doing dark and dramatic, and I've always preferred dark and gritty over comedy).

2 guys from Andromeda I know nothing about, I haven't played the old games and the kickstarter gave me no info about what they're planning to do, what kind of adventure they're going for (3 person, 2d? real 3d?), or what kind of story I can expect.
If Tex launches with so little info as well, I'll probably be just as skeptical, but Tex gets quite a bit of benefit from me actually knowing and having played the games.

I do not think criticizing them for targeting only old space quest fans is overly harsh, it's more a reaction from not finding a "home" with the current campaign..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #84
pcj

Send a message via AIM to pcj Send a message via MSN to pcj

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.A View Post
Geez, some of the negativity on here is kinda repulsive.

It's not the disliking of the kickstarter so much as the way it's being expressed. Incredibly obnoxious.

Give them a damn chance! Bah!
Thanks for summarizing my feelings about this thread. Seriously, you guys are complaining about old-school adventure game creators coming back and making adventure games? You don't have to give them money if you don't want to, but it feels like you don't want adventure games to make a comeback...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #85

And I thought that the negative comments in Jane's and Al's Kickstarter threads was over the top, especially with some whining about silly things like that they should do it with their own money, they are stealing funds from unproven developers or that they needed a publisher standing over them to be sure that they don't slack on the job.

The whining and negativity in this thread puts all of that to shame. If you don't like the games that these developers have done, have limited funds and find another Kickstarter that means more to you or for whatever other reason you don't like the potential game, fine. No one is holding a gun to your head. Don't like it? Don't give.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #86

Send a message via AIM to MusicallyInspired Send a message via MSN to MusicallyInspired

sigh
Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #87
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
The whining and negativity in this thread puts all of that to shame. If you don't like the games that these developers have done, have limited funds and find another Kickstarter that means more to you or for whatever other reason you don't like the potential game, fine. No one is holding a gun to your head. Don't like it? Don't give.
This isn't about pledgeing money. You're saying: "Don't like it? Don't post."
Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Seriously, what are you guys talking about? I've read and reread every post in this thread, and I can't find all this whining you're talking about. Some people have said the Kickstarter doesn't look interesting enough, with not enough info and a bland video. Others have said they didn't like the Space Quest games. Since when did this become whining?

As an aside, if you want the kickstarter to succeed, you should listen to the people who have something negative to say about it. Jane Jensen did that, and I believe it worked pretty well for her.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #89
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi View Post
Seriously, what are you guys talking about? I've read and reread every post in this thread, and I can't find all this whining you're talking about. Some people have said the Kickstarter doesn't look interesting enough, with not enough info and a bland video. Others have said they didn't like the Space Quest games. Since when did this become whining?

As an aside, if you want the kickstarter to succeed, you should listen to the people who have something negative to say about it. Jane Jensen did that, and I believe it worked pretty well for her.
Once again:

Jane Jensen got a LOT more criticism, imo.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #90

Vagueness definitely wasn't a problem for the two most successful videogame kickstarters so far: Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2. Both of these campaigns had basically nothing to show, but that was enough to raise 3 million.

I tossed in 15$ for the two guys. I can't say I was ever a big fan of the Space Quest games and this whole business feels a bit like your favorite old rock band reuniting for another album and a concert tour twenty years later. How many times has this turned out great? Well...
Can you really expect great new things from past masters? From two guys who more or less might have lost touch? I feel the same way about Al Lowe. I have faith in Jane Jensen and even more in Tim Schafer, because both stayed involved in the game industry and in game design. But I dunno about the Andromeda guys.
Still, this might turn out to be fun, and I'm curious how this plays out. Probably decently, but I doubt they will break any new ground or create the best game ever! Might be good for a nostalgic throwback, though!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #91
female animal lover

But I WANT to give! That is what this is about, I want to be able to support another adventure game, I want to pay attention to the genre I'm interested in, I'm critiquing because I WANT to be given something that draws me in!

How is going "you don't want adventure games to succeed" any more constructive? I do not believe AGs will either grow or succeed as a genre if we shut down all criticism with accusations of sabotage?
If you shut people out of "the club" for saying they don't feel welcomed, how will you gather new people to a project you obviously care a lot about?

I think that only targeting old Space quest gamers is a bit too small of a market, I wish the campaign would expand outside of that and target us outside of "the club", even people who didn't like the original games!

Last edited by Panthera; 05-09-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #92
pcj

Saying stuff like the digital and physical tiers are messed up is helpful, constructive, and I admit, quite true.

Saying stuff like their pitch is bad or you weren't a fan of Space Quest or sci-fi in general so you don't give a darn is not constructive. No one cares that you don't care. If you're not a fan, why talk about it?

I'm all for positive criticism but as mentioned a lot of what's been said in this thread comes across as whining.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #93
female animal lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcj View Post
Saying stuff like their pitch is bad or you weren't a fan of Space Quest or sci-fi in general so you don't give a darn is not constructive. No one cares that you don't care. If you're not a fan, why talk about it?

I'm all for positive criticism but as mentioned a lot of what's been said in this thread comes across as whining.
Uum, I'm not sure if you're replying to me or not, but I mentioned this specifically. Why shouldn't the kickstarter also try to appeal to non-fans?

What some people are saying in their "I didn't like the pitch" or "I didn't like the games I want something new" could just as well be "I watched this pitch for a new AG (a genre I'm really interested in) and it didn't grab me or make me interested."
(please notice the "could". I'm talking hypothetically, NOT putting words in people's mouth)
While it is not said in a constructive way, I still think is is valuable for AG designers to see what people react negatively to and why people who love the genre are not intrigued by their game/pitch.

Last edited by Panthera; 05-09-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: cleaned up the language
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #94
pcj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Uum, I'm not sure if you're replying to me or not, but I mentioned this specifically. Why shouldn't the kickstarter also try to appeal to non-fans?
Aye, I'm trying to avoid pointing fingers and stuff but there have been comments which seem to discredit Space Quest as a true adventure game (which is nonsense) and that anything from the authors will be similar. Well, either they never played Space Quest or they just don't like that sort of game, which is fine, but if Scott and Mark changed their recipe for them they would be alienating a bunch of other people (you can't make everyone happy).

Others say the pitch is too vague and I suppose miss the whole point of Kickstarter where the audience is funding a project essentially in the planning phase. One of the big plusses of the TGFA Kickstarter is the involvement of the fans in what they want to see. So where others see vagueness, I see opportunity.

Definitely new fans should be targeted, but I disagree with any sentiment that they should try to change their style of humor or playstyle design. If you don't like Space Quest, then I'm guessing you're not going to like this and no harm done. By all means, get Tex Murphy going. The more adventure games the merrier. (Just because you don't like it don't berate the ones who do, though)
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #95
The Space Quest Architect

Ladies, Gentlemen...

I'm just going to abstain from taking either stance on the negativity vs positivity (lol, positivITY, is that a word?), cause I haven't posted here before, and there is so much to be excited about, it's not worth getting caught up in such an argument.

Very briefly, I'll say I can understand people wanting to speak their mind, and it's true that honest feedback is much more valuable than sugercoated feedback that is not honestly the way you're feeling. If you're truly skeptical, I can respect that. I also realize it can be hard to take when one puts himself/herself "out there" and is not accepted too easily. It's not an easy thing to be critized, even by an honest jury.

But... I believe so confidently in what I'm putting forth here, that I would like to continue to encourage you all to keep an eye on this kickstarter. I do not believe my faith to be blind. We must look at these things in context. Allow me to lay it out clearly and briefly:

The Two Guys have always been true entreprenuers and underdogs, and they have been a couple of the most inspired game developers since the golden age of Sierra. Their series has inspired COUNTLESS laughs and sold MILLIONS of copies. Their work did not die out from lack of interest. It was killed prematurely as the industry was jolted by the introduction of half-life and other FPS styles, and as Sierra was basically stolen out from under Ken Williams against his will. It was the cancelling of the much anticipated SQ7 that inspired disgust and revolt in the hearts of fans of the series for longer than a decade.

The Two Guys have not run dry, and if you want to see what they're capable of, take a look at what they've accomplished with their previous games, IN CONTEXT of the times and circumstances under which they were released.

They promise all the features and details that we have all come to love of the SQ series. They promise awesome gameplay, humor, inspired art and animations, awesome death sequences. Their portfolio shines right in front of you, you honestly have to take a look at it, and have a little faith in the promise.

Do you believe it was the easiest thing in the world for them to do, to jump back together and open themselves up to asking you for just a little of your support? They are not experts (from what I gather) regarding internet/social media etiquette (not at all to say they are poor at it), nor at what you may have been expecting before launching the kickstarter, because this is their FIRST kickstarter. They are not someone who's trying to pull the wool over your eyes and take advantage. They have proven for over ten years (even if that ten years was 15 years ago) that they are very capable professionals and the best at what they do.

I can understand if you're getting caught up on the little "perceived" offenses or carelessness, because obviously there is something that you expect them to inherently know about what you want, and you feel they haven't delivered that, am I right?

You can't be critical of them for that. They disappeared for years, they can't perfectly understand the way you feel now, but they have much to give to put some good laughs into your life. They have been wanting all this time to get back to doing their thing, and now that they have they simply need to be men of action, without worrying about taking a message forum ettiquette course. Forgive them if they haven't followed exactly the formula you were expecting when opening the kickstarter. They typically aren't a pair to always follow suit and stay in that box everyone else is afraid to leave. That's what makes them so entertaining!

BUT they have NOT completely fallen short of your expectations. If anyone here at this forum BOTHERS to read, and I mean read unbiasedly and carefully the AWESOME promises and information they have on their kickstarter homepage, visit their guysfromandromeda.com website and view some of their humorous old and NEW videos, and do a little research on the space quest series to see their promise in context, one can understand why they may have not anticipated that a skeptical attitude would have been returned by some in this particular community. They can only know so much. They may be extraterrestial, but far as I know they are NOT telepathic beings!

AT THE RATE THE KICKSTARTER HAS BEEN GOING, YOU'LL HAVE AN AWESOME SAMPLE TO VIEW IN LITTLE OVER ONE DAY FROM NOW.

And... I say this not to critize, but only to point out what I think you're not seeing of yourselves. I liken your skepticism of the Two Guys and their initiation of the kickstarter to a critical mathematics professor who, when seeing that a student has made simply one mistake at the beginning of a long problem, marks the student as wrong for the entire thing, and gives zero credit, even though the beginning mistake was properly plugged in for every succeeding point thereafter. There is more than one way to view things. Nobody can survive this level of scrutiny, not even two of the most successful game developers and recipients of the "Game of the Year" award on their last collaborative project.

Look at things in perspective, in proper context. Know and understand your audience as you wish them to know and understand you (and they do, they have goodies to deliver once they reach their mini goals).

Heck, for $15 you can own the game in one year from now, and if the goal is not met, you won't even be charged. You're investing here, not throwing money in the trash. Bring back the comic space adventures!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #96
Third Guy from Andromeda

It is entirely inaccurate to say that the Two Guys "disappeared." Mark Crowe was Studio Design Director at Pipeworks for over a decade, and has designed plenty of games there. Granted, I don't think they were adventure games, but he's been working in the industry non-stop since leaving Dynamix in 1999.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #97
The Space Quest Architect

Even better

I stand corrected. I suppose I've been a little caught up dramatically since seeing them reunite as they have, and hearing the "after 20 year hiatus" slogan in the video and elsewhere. What I'm trying to emphasize here is that they haven't had this wonderfull opportunity to work together for that long.

As you point out, Josh, they most certainly did not disappear. They simply haven't been a team since SQ4. Now they're back, and as Chris Pope says, their chemistry is better than ever!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #98

Well, the 100K milestone is almost here so the first playable demo should be coming out sometime.

Also, there is now a new $115 tier that has the physical + digital versions. So its good to see that they are listening to what people are saying.

I loved Space Quest and played the whole series, but I'm a little annoyed with the timing of the kickstarter. Why couldn't they have waited until June or July? Now its going to run parallel to the Tex one At least its a new IP and not a remake of SQ1 or something.

I'm currently saving for the Tex kickstarter. I'll come back to this one after that. By then there should be one (or more) demos to check out.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #99
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcj View Post
Saying stuff like their pitch is bad or you weren't a fan of Space Quest or sci-fi in general so you don't give a darn is not constructive.
Their pitch is awful. That's my honest opinion. Deal with it.

Quote:
No one cares that you don't care.
No one? Well, obviously YOU care. It's the only thing you've posted about in this thread.

Quote:
There's a warm bath of fellow-fans waiting for you at the KS backers-only area.

I'd removed something I posted yesterday because I thought it was going a bit too far, but when I read posts by you and others I get the urge to repost it: I don't like this fanboy trend. Pretty soon anybody who refuses to back KS projects for other than financial reasons will be regarded as a bad person who is killing the genre.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #100
Filmfreak

Saying that their pitch is bad is neither constructive nor destructive. It's unspecified.

Replying to "the pitch is bad" by saying that the person who said that is whining and unconstructive, that in itself is unconstructive.

You should be replying to "the pitch is bad" with "what didn't you like about the pitch, or the campaign in general, so that we may improve it in the future?". THAT's constructive.

Jane Jensen understood that. Why can't you?