View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #95
Johnathon
The Space Quest Architect

Ladies, Gentlemen...

I'm just going to abstain from taking either stance on the negativity vs positivity (lol, positivITY, is that a word?), cause I haven't posted here before, and there is so much to be excited about, it's not worth getting caught up in such an argument.

Very briefly, I'll say I can understand people wanting to speak their mind, and it's true that honest feedback is much more valuable than sugercoated feedback that is not honestly the way you're feeling. If you're truly skeptical, I can respect that. I also realize it can be hard to take when one puts himself/herself "out there" and is not accepted too easily. It's not an easy thing to be critized, even by an honest jury.

But... I believe so confidently in what I'm putting forth here, that I would like to continue to encourage you all to keep an eye on this kickstarter. I do not believe my faith to be blind. We must look at these things in context. Allow me to lay it out clearly and briefly:

The Two Guys have always been true entreprenuers and underdogs, and they have been a couple of the most inspired game developers since the golden age of Sierra. Their series has inspired COUNTLESS laughs and sold MILLIONS of copies. Their work did not die out from lack of interest. It was killed prematurely as the industry was jolted by the introduction of half-life and other FPS styles, and as Sierra was basically stolen out from under Ken Williams against his will. It was the cancelling of the much anticipated SQ7 that inspired disgust and revolt in the hearts of fans of the series for longer than a decade.

The Two Guys have not run dry, and if you want to see what they're capable of, take a look at what they've accomplished with their previous games, IN CONTEXT of the times and circumstances under which they were released.

They promise all the features and details that we have all come to love of the SQ series. They promise awesome gameplay, humor, inspired art and animations, awesome death sequences. Their portfolio shines right in front of you, you honestly have to take a look at it, and have a little faith in the promise.

Do you believe it was the easiest thing in the world for them to do, to jump back together and open themselves up to asking you for just a little of your support? They are not experts (from what I gather) regarding internet/social media etiquette (not at all to say they are poor at it), nor at what you may have been expecting before launching the kickstarter, because this is their FIRST kickstarter. They are not someone who's trying to pull the wool over your eyes and take advantage. They have proven for over ten years (even if that ten years was 15 years ago) that they are very capable professionals and the best at what they do.

I can understand if you're getting caught up on the little "perceived" offenses or carelessness, because obviously there is something that you expect them to inherently know about what you want, and you feel they haven't delivered that, am I right?

You can't be critical of them for that. They disappeared for years, they can't perfectly understand the way you feel now, but they have much to give to put some good laughs into your life. They have been wanting all this time to get back to doing their thing, and now that they have they simply need to be men of action, without worrying about taking a message forum ettiquette course. Forgive them if they haven't followed exactly the formula you were expecting when opening the kickstarter. They typically aren't a pair to always follow suit and stay in that box everyone else is afraid to leave. That's what makes them so entertaining!

BUT they have NOT completely fallen short of your expectations. If anyone here at this forum BOTHERS to read, and I mean read unbiasedly and carefully the AWESOME promises and information they have on their kickstarter homepage, visit their guysfromandromeda.com website and view some of their humorous old and NEW videos, and do a little research on the space quest series to see their promise in context, one can understand why they may have not anticipated that a skeptical attitude would have been returned by some in this particular community. They can only know so much. They may be extraterrestial, but far as I know they are NOT telepathic beings!

AT THE RATE THE KICKSTARTER HAS BEEN GOING, YOU'LL HAVE AN AWESOME SAMPLE TO VIEW IN LITTLE OVER ONE DAY FROM NOW.

And... I say this not to critize, but only to point out what I think you're not seeing of yourselves. I liken your skepticism of the Two Guys and their initiation of the kickstarter to a critical mathematics professor who, when seeing that a student has made simply one mistake at the beginning of a long problem, marks the student as wrong for the entire thing, and gives zero credit, even though the beginning mistake was properly plugged in for every succeeding point thereafter. There is more than one way to view things. Nobody can survive this level of scrutiny, not even two of the most successful game developers and recipients of the "Game of the Year" award on their last collaborative project.

Look at things in perspective, in proper context. Know and understand your audience as you wish them to know and understand you (and they do, they have goodies to deliver once they reach their mini goals).

Heck, for $15 you can own the game in one year from now, and if the goal is not met, you won't even be charged. You're investing here, not throwing money in the trash. Bring back the comic space adventures!