• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

Just downloaded. It’s going to be a great game. The Metacritic rating is at 88 with 22 reviews already in, so a ton of people are loving this. That 88 score actually makes Return to Monkey Island the 17th top rated PC adventure game of all time on Metacritic. Just trying to inject some positivity into the forum so that people who are on the fence actually buy and play this game. I’m so excited to see Ron Gilbert’s vision and creativity play out in another MI game.

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Returned to monkey island,things doesn’t seem changed much(go to voodoo lady,look ship for sale,gather crew etc.) but playing as li’l Threepwood is freshest idea so far.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 219

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The game is getting stellar reviews and has Overwhelmingly Positive score on Steam. So glad to see that it’s doing great and people are finally able to see that art style actually works!
Kind of weird to see that it’s so quiet here on AG forums. Even Switch reddit is raving about the game.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Game is very good I’ll rate it at around 8.5-9/10.
If it has curse art style I’ll give it 9.5-10!

Total Posts: 1689

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I think st eddie is right from what im hearing. If you want meta endings mixed with star wars the force awakens type story telling aka a soft remake, than you will love this game. If you want more from your legacy media the game will leave you a bit hollow.

Total Posts: 2108

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Can’t say the art works for me all that well, but I’m playing in a windowed mode on my little laptop which sure helps to make it look closer to classic adventures. They also altered animation speed I think and it looks better now.

Finished the first part on the island and played the second for a bit, and I also got that Escape from MI sad vibe when everything feels like a museum of old memories rather than a pirate world, and those cutscenes with Guybrush and his son don’t help either. In fact I find writing to be the weakest part of the game so far. It’s more talky than witty, relies too much on old tropes and jokes and often feels just childish.

My favourite moments were the Wally and Voodoo Lady shops, with all those funny comments about maps and trinkets. The worst for me was the mop tree puzzle, from the silly premise to the recycled forest maze to the horrible conclusion. Are we supposed to laugh as Guybrush cynically destroys the whole tree for no reason and leaves animals mourning? Something more suitable for Simon the Sorcerer.

It gets better in the second part as we are introduced to more original (in every sense) characters and the game takes a darker tone, but it still feels like Gilbert wanted to play it safe and followed his old tropes for nostalgia reasons. There are also so many fetch quests that I started suspecting that Ron was simply reusing puzzles from his unfinished Deathspank RPG game Smile Or maybe it’s just his design philosophy these days.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Terabin - 20 September 2022 12:02 AM

Just downloaded. It’s going to be a great game. The Metacritic rating is at 88 with 22 reviews already in, so a ton of people are loving this.

I’m sorry but this sort of post really irks me.  You haven’t even played the game yourself, yet you’re trying to prove that it’s a great game by pointing towards review scores.  As though review scores are proof of anything, especially when they are in regards to a highly anticipated sequel with a fanbase desperate to love the game and not view it through a critical lens.  Just look at the review scores for The Force Awakens (which seems the most apt comparison to Return to Monkey Island, considering it’s the gaming equivalent to said movie); 93% fresh, 85% audience score.  I don’t think those scores are at all reflective of how the movie is generally perceived in 2022.

Play the game and form your own opinion.  If you love it, then that’s wonderful but don’t just state that it’s a great game based solely upon review scores, when you haven’t even played it yourself.

That 88 score actually makes Return to Monkey Island the 17th top rated PC adventure game of all time on Metacritic.

This fact is going to age like milk, I almost guarantee it.  An initial glowing critical response to a highly anticipated, but audience divided title is almost never reflective of how the title is remembered in years and decades to come.  Heck, I still remember reading the review for Escape From Monkey Island in my copy of PC Gamer (UK edition) as a teenager.  They said and I quote; “This magazine gave The Curse of Monkey Island a positive review and a 93% score back when it came out but let’s face it, in hindsight, it really wasn’t a very good game.  However, as much as we may have called that one wrong, we can definitively and confidently state that Escape From Monkey Island is a true return to form for the series and that it can gladly and proudly stand alongside the original two classics”.  No further elaboration needed, I feel.

Total Posts: 1689

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

St_Eddie - 20 September 2022 08:46 AM

Just downloaded. It’s going to be a great game. The Metacritic rating is at 88 with 22 reviews already in, so a ton of people are loving this.

I’m sorry but this sort of post really irks me.  You haven’t even played the game yourself, yet you’re trying to prove that it’s a great game by pointing towards review scores.  As though review scores are proof of anything, especially when they are in regards to a highly anticipated sequel with a fanbase desperate to love the game and not view it through a critical lens.  Just look at the review scores for The Force Awakens (which seems the most apt comparison to Return to Monkey Island, considering it’s the gaming equivalent to said movie); 93% fresh, 85% audience score.  I don’t think those scores are at all reflective of how the movie is generally perceived in 2022.

Play the game and form your own opinion.  If you love it, then that’s wonderful but don’t just state that it’s a great game based solely upon review scores, when you haven’t even played it yourself.

That 88 score actually makes Return to Monkey Island the 17th top rated PC adventure game of all time on Metacritic.

This fact is going to age like milk, I almost guarantee it.  An initial glowing critical response to a highly anticipated, but audience divided title is almost never reflective of how the title is remembered in years and decades to come.  Heck, I still remember reading the review for Escape From Monkey Island in my copy of PC Gamer (UK edition) as a teenager.  They said and I quote; “This magazine gave The Curse of Monkey Island a positive review and a 93% score back when it came out but let’s face it, in hindsight, it really wasn’t a very good game.  However, as much as we may have called that one wrong, we can definitively and confidently state that Escape From Monkey Island is a true return to form for the series and that it can gladly and proudly stand alongside the original two classics”.  No further elaboration needed, I feel.

Curse is my favorite monkey island game by a small margin over secret. Also with the force awakens, i think the hate for the sequels to that movie made people dislike the force awakens more. For the record i like the last jedi simply bc it was more than just the remember berries. I LOATHE the rise of skywalker.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Jdawg445 - 20 September 2022 09:17 AM

Also with the force awakens, i think the hate for the sequels to that movie made people dislike the force awakens more.

That was certainly a factor but it’s also a case of the passage of time allowing more people to recognise that the movie was little more than a lazy and inferior rehash of A New Hope (like a delicious 5 star meal from last week being dragged out of the fridge, a couple of days after it’s started to go past its use by date and quickly being reheated in the microwave and slopped onto a plate).  Member berries will only take you so far; they don’t have staying power.  Once that initial buzz of seeing something familiar wears off, you’re left with a rather hollow and vapid experience, lacking in substance.

There are plenty of other examples than The Force Awakens of course, when it comes to initial critical reaction not matching the general consensus years down the line, such as the 2016 Ghostbusters remake, which proudly sat at 85%+ on Rotten Tomatoes upon its release.  It currently holds a 73% rating, which is still far too high for what it is, in my opinion.  Regardless, my ultimate point was not to rely on reviews in order to try and prove the quality of something.  It’s far better to form your own opinion.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

I’m currently playing through the section onboard LeChuck’s ship and I’m enjoying the game a lot more now that we’ve left Member Berry Island™.  However, it really does have to be said that Earl Boen is sorely missed as LeChuck.  His replacement voice actor (Jess Harnell) is doing a really poor job in the role.  He’s not in the least bit intimidating and he delivers all of his lines far too softly and without menace.  There are occasions where he’ll say something, supposedly shouting and the screen will shake to emphasise his anger.  The problem is that Jess Harnell still maintains that same level of volume and cadence that he does for all of his lines during these screen shaking moments, so the effect is just awkward as all heck.  I’m stood there, as Guybrush, mere feet away from LeChuck, my arch nemesis and there’s just no feeling of fear or tension whatsoever.  I may as well be stood next to one of the cute woodland critters from Mêlée Island for all it’s worth. It just doesn’t work at all.

The worst part is that the voice actor voicing one of the old Pirate Leaders of Mêlée Island sounds just like Earl Boen!  Why didn’t they have him play the role of LeChuck?!  Gahhhh, it’s so frustrating.  Another voice acting issue I forgot to mention within my previous post about the game was that some of Alexandra Boyd’s (as Elaine Marley) lines on Mêlée Island were of an appalling audio quality (@34:34).  There were clearly some terrible microphone issues going on there during recording and it’s inexcusable for that sort of thing to slip through quality control on a professionally produced game such as this.

Still, like I say, voice acting complaints aside, I’m enjoying this section of the game a lot more than the opening on Mêlée Island.  Hopefully things will only get better from here on out…

Total Posts: 6598

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Apart from graphics which is really not my cup of tea, my biggest gripe is actually the over-simplified interface, with one or occasionally two-button actions. Mind me, there’re some great, even wonderful adventure games with this system (Toonstruck, Broken Sword…) but I just can’t see it with Monkey Island game, because so many comments, jokes, and even puzzles are missed when you leave out Talk (or Tongue in Curse of Monkey Island), Pick up, Push verb etc… I think the verb coin like in MI3 would work great here as well.

Still, it is what it is, I like that the game once on Melee island takes an old-fashioned system where you’re free to roam locations at your disposal, increasing the difficulty but also the immersion level. I hope there will be free travel between islands later on, as well.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

diego - 20 September 2022 12:00 PM

I hope there will be free travel between islands later on, as well.

When I started the game up for the first time, I noticed there’s an option for opening a ‘Sea travel map’ within the controls screen. 🤔

Hopefully the game contains something similar to the seafaring mechanic from DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue.

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

I’m sorry but this sort of post really irks me.

Go ahead and feel irked, buddy. Nobody had mentioned the positive reviews yet. I always look to reviews as one resource when considering whether to buy a game.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Terabin - 20 September 2022 01:03 PM

I’m sorry but this sort of post really irks me.

Go ahead and feel irked, buddy. Nobody had mentioned the positive reviews yet. I always look to reviews as one resource when considering whether to buy a game.

There’s nowt wrong with posting links to reviews, nor using reviews as an indicator of quality (I do likewise myself).  What irked me was the way you phrased your post…

Just downloaded. It’s going to be a great game. The Metacritic rating is at 88 with 22 reviews already in, so a ton of people are loving this. That 88 score actually makes Return to Monkey Island the 17th top rated PC adventure game of all time on Metacritic.

It reads as you attempting to discredit the criticisms within this thread from people who’ve actually played the game and using reviews as some kind of proof of innate quality, without playing the game for yourself.  The irony being that you’re happy to take positive reception from people who’ve played the game at their word but are unwilling to entertain critical thoughts from people who’ve also played the game. 

To paraphrase Danny from Withnail & I; “Why trust one opinion and not the other? That’s politics, innit.”

Just trying to inject some positivity into the forum so that people who are on the fence actually buy and play this game.

Surely it would be better to just play the game for yourself and post your thoughts, rather than role play as Stan and promote the game on behalf of the developers?

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

St_Eddie - 20 September 2022 01:20 PM

There’s nowt wrong with posting links to reviews, nor using reviews as an indicator of quality (I do likewise myself).  What irked me was the way you phrased your post…

Again, go ahead and feel irked buddy. You’re devoting a whole lot of time to criticizing my little positive post, which I threw down alongside the equally valid lukewarm/critical posts. Moving on…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top