• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 531

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

St_Eddie - 27 August 2022 07:56 AM
Charophycean - 27 August 2022 12:08 AM

Can someone please explain this “free pre-order horse armor” to me? Genuinely not being negative here, I want to know what someone gets out of this, since the video promo was sent to my phone to get me to pre-order. It’s just an icon that appears on your Steam account, right?

I could understand if it was a plastic thingy that they sent out to you and you could prance around your house/apartment wearing and being silly while you play the game. But a little inventory icon that has no use in-game or out? And this (based on the fact the game’s marketers are well paid and aren’t stupid) actually encourages players to pre-order?

Meh

It sounds as though you may not be aware of what the horse armour is satirising.  It’s a satire of pointless pre-order DLC.  Back when The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion came out in 2006, there was a DLC purchase available for the game (one of the first ever for videogames, in fact) and that DLC was armour for your in-game horse.  The horse armour DLC cost $2.49 and it was purely cosmetic.  It did nothing of worth within the game; the armour didn’t raise your horse’s stats, nor did it protect your horse in anyway whatsoever.  This horse armour DLC quickly became heavily mocked by the gaming community and to this day, it still stands as the go-to example for pointless and cynical DLC in videogames.

So essentially, Ron Gilbert is sticking his middle finger up at the whole pre-order DLC culture by satirising the granddaddy of all pointless DLC.

Ah. That’s what I needed to know. I thought it might have been something like that. It makes sense with Stan doing the sales pitch too.

Still, it’s no small act of bravado for RTMI’s marketing team to pull something like this, since it’s bound to put off those who aren’t in the know about all this… I was certainly starting to get put off the idea of pre-ordering at all.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2004-03-14

PM

Charophycean - 27 August 2022 09:08 AM
St_Eddie - 27 August 2022 07:56 AM
Charophycean - 27 August 2022 12:08 AM

Can someone please explain this “free pre-order horse armor” to me? Genuinely not being negative here, I want to know what someone gets out of this, since the video promo was sent to my phone to get me to pre-order. It’s just an icon that appears on your Steam account, right?

I could understand if it was a plastic thingy that they sent out to you and you could prance around your house/apartment wearing and being silly while you play the game. But a little inventory icon that has no use in-game or out? And this (based on the fact the game’s marketers are well paid and aren’t stupid) actually encourages players to pre-order?

Meh

It sounds as though you may not be aware of what the horse armour is satirising.  It’s a satire of pointless pre-order DLC.  Back when The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion came out in 2006, there was a DLC purchase available for the game (one of the first ever for videogames, in fact) and that DLC was armour for your in-game horse.  The horse armour DLC cost $2.49 and it was purely cosmetic.  It did nothing of worth within the game; the armour didn’t raise your horse’s stats, nor did it protect your horse in anyway whatsoever.  This horse armour DLC quickly became heavily mocked by the gaming community and to this day, it still stands as the go-to example for pointless and cynical DLC in videogames.

So essentially, Ron Gilbert is sticking his middle finger up at the whole pre-order DLC culture by satirising the granddaddy of all pointless DLC.

Ah. That’s what I needed to know. I thought it might have been something like that. It makes sense with Stan doing the sales pitch too.

Still, it’s no small act of bravado for RTMI’s marketing team to pull something like this, since it’s bound to put off those who aren’t in the know about all this… I was certainly starting to get put off the idea of pre-ordering at all.

As long as it wouldn’t have put you off buying the game entirely, I for one fail to see what difference it makes.

Total Posts: 531

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Yes

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

No

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Maybe

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Perhaps the animation is growing on me or maybe they’ve tweaked Guybrush’s walk cycle a bit, but I like everything in this scene.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

I love it as well. I think it’s one of my favorite clips.
Monkey Island looks gorgeous.
It’s also nice to see the inventory and some interactions!
I feel like we’re finally seeing some real gameplay.
It’s nice.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Murray is sounding old (understandable when you consider that Danny Delk is 72 years old now).

Presumably Guybrush needs to pick up and place the skulls on seperate spikes and then hit them in the correct order with the bone, in order to make a musical sequence (likely to open the monkey head), but I’m confused why they make a vocal sound as opposed to a tonal sound.  They’re not alive, are they?

Total Posts: 869

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 29 August 2022 11:14 AM

Perhaps the animation is growing on me or maybe they’ve tweaked Guybrush’s walk cycle a bit, but I like everything in this scene.

Yes, I think they have changed something, it looks better now.
Of course I think some of the earlier videos showed fast walking/running, so maybe there are different speeds in the game that look different?

Joe monsters - 29 August 2022 11:27 AM

Yeah. I’m not sure the inventory window is in the optimal place though. It looks a bit odd being there on the left side, usually inventories are located at the bottom. And as most people are right-handed, it would be more natural to drag and drop from right to left than from left to right. Maybe it can be customised?

St_Eddie - 29 August 2022 11:50 AM

Murray is sounding old (understandable when you consider that Danny Delk is 72 years old now).

Actually Murray is sounding wrong. There’s no teeth sound, at least I couldn’t hear any.

But overall this is the best looking clip of the game so far.
I’m still not convinced that these are the best artistic solutions, but at least the actual gameplay doesn’t seem to be such a disaster that the first screenshots and videos indicated.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

GateKeeper - 29 August 2022 01:40 PM
Joe monsters - 29 August 2022 11:27 AM

Yeah. I’m not sure the inventory window is in the optimal place though. It looks a bit odd being there on the left side, usually inventories are located at the bottom. And as most people are right-handed, it would be more natural to drag and drop from right to left than from left to right. Maybe it can be customised?

Good point!
Maybe it changes depending on where Guybrush is on the screen? I’ve seen it done before, not sure in which game though…

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

“I pre-ordered Return to Monkey Island and all I got was this stupid horse armour.”

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

This new update is definitely the best the game has looked so far.

I just hope you can toggle that egregious white line on and off

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Burge - 30 August 2022 12:08 AM

I just hope you can toggle that egregious white line on and off

Hopefully the game will be as customisable as Thimbleweed Park was.  I really appreciated the way in which said game allowed the player to tailor so many settings to their personal preference, right down to the orientation of the toilet paper.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do expect there’s at least some room for customization in Return. It is using the same engine as Thimbleweed Park after all.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

tomimt - 30 August 2022 09:32 AM

I do expect there’s at least some room for customization in Return. It is using the same engine as Thimbleweed Park after all.

To be unbearably pedantic, I don’t think that Return to Monkey Island uses the same game engine as Thimbleweed Park, does it?  It was my understanding that Ron Gilbert created Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure specifically in order to test the new game engine he would be using for Return to Monkey Island (hence said game engine being called the Delores engine).  Well, I mean technically that’s a Thimbleweed Park game, but it’s not the main game itself.  Having said that, of course it’s possible that Ron Gilbert incorporated certain code from the main game into the Delores engine.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top