• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 219

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Oh, I love this new gameplay clip! I thinks RtMI is shaping up great. Can’t wait for September 19.

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

New Monkey Island Monday clip

I like the dynamic closeups during dialogue and hope that it’s a recurring feature throughout the game.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

At this point, I’m pretty sure the young leaders represent the video game industry, that don’t care much about adventure games. They never heard of Guybrush and they don’t want to give him money for his adventure.
That’s interesting…

Total Posts: 1689

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Joe monsters - 05 September 2022 12:04 PM

At this point, I’m pretty sure the young leaders represent the video game industry, that don’t care much about adventure games. They never heard of Guybrush and they don’t want to give him money for his adventure.
That’s interesting…

I hate everything about this new clip, still dont likr the art, but now even the dialogue is cringey 2022 stuff. Also not a fan of the voicecast for the new pirates. Sigh

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

Yes, it seems like this is not a game you would enjoy – which I understand perfectly.

I personally love it, mostly the close-ups. I like what it’s adding to the dynamic. It makes me think of Broken Age.

Total Posts: 2110

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Did anyone watch (or maybe visit?) the adventure veterans panel at PAX 2022, with two Gilberts, Jensen, Al Lowe, Ken & Roberta? I just did and it felt a bit like a lost opportunity. Like they gathered all those legends and didn’t know what to do with them. Most questions concerned general facts from Sierra’s past — a topic that was already thoroughly covered in two brilliant books and multiple interviews. Ron only had a chance to briefly talk about his Why Adventure Games Suck article again as well as Humongous games, Dave — a bit about how he came to the industry, Roberta talked about Colossal Cave, of course, and that’s basically it. I was expecting at least some big announcement at the end, like they were starting a new Sierra Wadjet Arts company, but no. I thought everyone except for Lowe felt uncomfortable, and Ron looked ill or tired. Maybe it was too formal and they should’ve just let them chat about whatever they wanted to? Or brainstorm a new game idea. Or share their knowledge through postmortems, like in the great 2014 Lucasfilm postmortem.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

I kind of agree with you.
Dave Gilbert didn’t talk much.
Roberta Williams seemed a bit out of touch with reality – I mean, her saying that Colossal Cave will rivalise with AAA games… I love her and her games, but let’s be reasonable.
I also agree, Al Lowe really impressed me. He was smart and funny.
Jane Jensen didn’t say much either.
It was nice to see all of them together, though, but yes… it was disappointing.

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There was a Casual Games Community Playthrough a while back for Dave Gilbert’s Emerald City Confidential. Skip the discussion as to whether it’s a Casual or Regular Adventure. The answer is Yes! The reason for posting this is that Dave Gilbert was an honored guest on the playthrough. And from beginning to end, gave his insights as to why certain things were done in a certain way. He was cordial, honest, light hearted and funny. Every much the persona of a guy you would like to have a beer with. IOW, totally unlike the guy who is the subject of this thread.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Joe monsters - 05 September 2022 06:23 PM

Roberta Williams seemed a bit out of touch with reality – I mean, her saying that Colossal Cave will rivalise with AAA games… I love her and her games, but let’s be reasonable.

Yeah, you can tell she hasn’t really been keeping tabs on the games industry. I mean, I do hope CC does well enough and what the game is, does look decent for a game I assume doesn’t have AAA budget, but it isn’t rivaling in the same league as AAA titles.

It doesn’t really surprise me at all that Lowe came out as likeable. Every interview I’ve seen of hims, he comes out as a likeable chap. He just seems like a genuinely nice person.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Agree with the other posters. Ken and Roberta’s expectations seem sky high, hoping that Colossal Cave 3D and RtMI will elevate the adventure genre from niche to mainstream is, let’s say, a long shot. Plus Roberta seemed completely blindsided by the questioner who mentioned the existence of other VR adventures and that some of them were successful. Kinda surprised they’re entering this space and haven’t looked up Lone Echo yet.

I think the panel was a bit uneven in that it was mostly legacy devs, so the topics and questions which were relevant to them didn’t give Dave a lot to speak about. Maybe some more generalized adventure game topics rather than series/dev specific ones could’ve helped? In any case it was enjoyable enough, It was heartening to see Roberta at a loss for words when Ron Gilbert gave her props. Al Lowe had funny moments and I loved seeing Jane Jensen at anything to do with games period.

I agree with Doom that maybe a more free form discussion would be better next time.

Total Posts: 2110

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 05 September 2022 06:48 PM

There was a Casual Games Community Playthrough a while back for Dave Gilbert’s Emerald City Confidential. Skip the discussion as to whether it’s a Casual or Regular Adventure. The answer is Yes! The reason for posting this is that Dave Gilbert was an honored guest on the playthrough. And from beginning to end, gave his insights as to why certain things were done in a certain way. He was cordial, honest, light hearted and funny. Every much the persona of a guy you would like to have a beer with. IOW, totally unlike the guy who is the subject of this thread.

I listened to Dave’s past conferences speeches, he is a great speaker on behalf of adventure games, and a very dedicated fan who has a lot to share. Enjoyed Emerald City Confidential a lot at the time too. Wish they had more informal conversation, because every time he said something, it felt like everyone was waiting for the host to comment, but he usually came up with another question for another person which felt awkward.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

St_Eddie - 05 September 2022 11:33 AM

New Monkey Island Monday clip

I like the dynamic closeups during dialogue and hope that it’s a recurring feature throughout the game.

dang. i hate to say it but the voice acting is truly godawful so far in nearly every clip we’ve seen. even more than the flat performances, the audio sounds totally cheap and amateur quality. there’s no good compression or treatment to it. i find it incredibly distracting and takes me fully out of any immersion. might have to turn off the speech if that’s possible.

Total Posts: 531

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

By no good compression do you mean the compression’s poor? Because no compression isn’t a bad thing.

Actually the most distracting I’m finding in these clips is the font. It’s too modern.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Charophycean - 06 September 2022 11:38 PM

Actually the most distracting I’m finding in these clips is the font. It’s too modern.

Thimbleweed Park had the option to choose between modern fonts and retro fonts.  It’s possible that this game will do likewise.

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Charophycean - 06 September 2022 11:38 PM

By no good compression do you mean the compression’s poor? Because no compression isn’t a bad thing.

Please define what you mean by compression. I play guitar and I have a compression pedal on my pedal board, and I know what it does. But in this instance I have no idea what your are talking about. Maybe if you’re talking about the voice acting, your talking about taking the basic track into the studio and adding a bit of reverb or delay to enhance the ambiance. Or, if the chosen take sounds a bit nasal you EQ the mids down a bit and boost the highs. Compression is being thrown out there as if everyone knows what that means. In the context of the way it’s being used here, I don’t have a clue.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top