• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

GateKeeper - 25 August 2022 03:02 AM

Yeah, GOG is usually the best option.

I’m not as strict as you are. I’m OK with buying from Steam, if the game itself is DRM-free. And what many people don’t realise is that most games on Steam actually are DRM-free, and just the most notable commercial ones have some additional third party DRM.

Agreed, steam is fine as long as no third party DRM like Denuvo Thumbs Up which I wouldn’t buy anything with it. Denuvo cause unnecessary processing slowing down your PC/device and sneakily connect to their authentication server from time to time. Sometimes it even can cause the game unplayable due to their server unreachable from certain DNS.

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/gaming-news/denuvo-drm-issues-may-be-cause-for-pc-titles-going-down-over-the-weekend-3090523

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m sure this will be in GOG as well. Devolver has quite a few games there, even recent releases and Disney has titles in GOG too, so there shouldn’t be any visible obstacles on the way.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

So I wanted to come back after being one of the early posters in this thread after almost 20 years of absence from the board HAHA, I was one of the first to jump on the fact I wasn’t liking the art style.

That said, now I’ve seen some in-motion clips and gameplay, It’s really not bad at all, it looks much better with the objects in motion. Furthermore, this game was all about the humor silly puzzles, and easily accessible gameplay. The fact its a simple point and click makes me think it all comes down to the writing and story now as everything else looks good to me. I know the voice acting will be great. Even with a new LeChuck as we know most of the cast are returning.

If the humour and a decent length i.e at least 20 hrs I’d hope, as anything less just feels cheap in today’s age. I am confident we are in for a great adventure game and hope all can trust in Ron and his team.

it’s way to early to moan too hard, for those that seemingly have gotten a little hot on the subject. stay breezy folkes, love one another, we all love these games as something that tie us together let’s remember that. just my little 2 scents as I was ready to offer
Wink

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-12

PM

St_Eddie - 24 August 2022 06:56 PM

GOG or GTFO.  I refuse to support DRM.

My brother! It wasn’t even that for me for ten years ... it was was Valve’s icky dominant market position. Return could have been the game that would have made me finally get a first game on Steam. Then February 24th happened and Valve was all business as usual. GOG stopped selling to Russia immediately, but I guess it would have felt like co-financing their neighbours’ and eventually their own genocide. It’s not something they could have done otherwise. They didn’t have Valve’s luxury. I will no longer buy from e.g. Nestlé, Mondelez, Asics, Unilever, Kraft, and certainly not from Valve and if that means no ReMI, that means no ReMI.

I’m trying to stay out of my five (!) Return discussing forums at the time until GOG has the announcement. I really hope I can get the wonderfully nonsensical preorder bonus as well. No, strike that. How about a fucking GOG exclusive wonderfully nonsensical preorder bonus? 

Oh, and thanks for that wishlist comment.

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Vainamoinen - 25 August 2022 04:04 PM

No, strike that. How about a fucking GOG exclusive wonderfully nonsensical preorder bonus?

The GOG pre-order bonus should be an in-game horse added to one of the backgrounds, the hotspot naming it as an “Armourless horse”, with the devilish joke being that the Steam pre-order bonus is non-interchangeable with the GOG version.

Oh, and thanks for that wishlist comment.

Just doing my part.  Wink

Total Posts: 2110

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

GOG stopped selling to Russia immediately, but I guess it would have felt like co-financing their neighbours’ and eventually their own genocide. It’s not something they could have done otherwise. They didn’t have Valve’s luxury. I will no longer buy from e.g. Nestlé, Mondelez, Asics, Unilever, Kraft, and certainly not from Valve and if that means no ReMI, that means no ReMI.

Selling games to Russian players is apparently financing someone’s genocide. Monkey Island fans are sure something.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Sanctions always hit the wrong people, but a few make a profit. I hope that everyone, regardless of nationality, can enjoy games, sports, music, travel and stuff. I could write something about openly displayed stupidity, malice, fascism and forgetfulness of history in certain countries, but the normative power of the factual will win regardless of what I’ll say. It just needs some more time and some more self destruction. Too bad seething wolf is no longer around. I enjoyed our little discussions.

A three headed monkey voodoo doll, with which you occasionally, probably unsuccessfully, try to influence other characters, with which you talk, which speaks to you only when no one hears ... this could have been interesting, maybe too much. It’s primary about the game (whispering: and a proper platform) anyway.

Total Posts: 869

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

My brother! It wasn’t even that for me for ten years ... it was was Valve’s icky dominant market position. Return could have been the game that would have made me finally get a first game on Steam. Then February 24th happened and Valve was all business as usual. GOG stopped selling to Russia immediately, but I guess it would have felt like co-financing their neighbours’ and eventually their own genocide. It’s not something they could have done otherwise. They didn’t have Valve’s luxury. I will no longer buy from e.g. Nestlé, Mondelez, Asics, Unilever, Kraft, and certainly not from Valve and if that means no ReMI, that means no ReMI.

You do realise that stopping game sales has zero effect on any wars anywhere on the planet?
In the case of Russia, the only outcome will be that the piracy situation that has slowly improved over the years will revert back to the starting point where all games played there will be pirate versions. Fixing that again can take decades.

Also the part about financing makes no sense at all. I believe most game stores draw more money from Russia than they feed into Russian economy, so basically any non-Russian game sold is taking few cents out of Russian economy. Stopping game sales means that the money will remain in the Russian economy system.

It’s understandable to react to bad things, but stuff like stopping game sales makes absolutely no sense at all, especially if fossile fuels are exempt from all bans at the same time.

Boycotting company X because they don’t boycott country Y makes even less sense.

You are free to do whatever you want, of course, but if you stop and really think rationally, you notice that what you are trying to do is not helping any cause at all.

Joined 2016-06-12

PM

GateKeeper - 26 August 2022 01:57 AM

stopping game sales has zero effect on any wars anywhere on the planet?

Trade and value added tax fill war chests; and ongoing trade is consent in a way, at the very least it is compliance. I have more than enough guilt on my shoulders just from heating my apartment. I have literally no other way to go than to boycott those companies. I absolutely don’t blame others who continue to buy from them. I myself find it impossible to boycott ALL the companies who continue business in Russia. I can go on boycotting Valve, that’s one of the easiest for me personally as I’ve never made a Steam account.

Yes, the hope may be naive, yes, the measures are full of holes, but at the time, stopping trade is the only thing we have to at least shorten this horrible war. /end of politics

Doom - 25 August 2022 06:29 PM

Selling games to Russian players is apparently financing someone’s genocide. Monkey Island fans are sure something.

Look up “Why are you so angry?”, part 2, on youtube. It explains in detail why you feel personally insulted by my absteamence and why you shouldn’t be.

Total Posts: 2110

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vainamoinen - 26 August 2022 02:29 AM

Look up “Why are you so angry?”, part 2, on youtube. It explains in detail why you feel personally insulted by my abstinence and why you shouldn’t be.

You seem to be constantly confusing game forums and reddit or whatever you use for your sexual/political self-exposure.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 531

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Can someone please explain this “free pre-order horse armor” to me? Genuinely not being negative here, I want to know what someone gets out of this, since the video promo was sent to my phone to get me to pre-order. It’s just an icon that appears on your Steam account, right?

I could understand if it was a plastic thingy that they sent out to you and you could prance around your house/apartment wearing and being silly while you play the game. But a little inventory icon that has no use in-game or out? And this (based on the fact the game’s marketers are well paid and aren’t stupid) actually encourages players to pre-order?

Meh

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 869

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 27 August 2022 12:08 AM

Can someone please explain this “free pre-order horse armor” to me? Genuinely not being negative here, I want to know what someone gets out of this, since the video promo was sent to my phone to get me to pre-order. It’s just an icon that appears on your Steam account, right?

I could understand if it was a plastic thingy that they sent out to you and you could prance around your house/apartment wearing and being silly while you play the game. But a little inventory icon that has no use in-game or out? And this (based on the fact the game’s marketers are well paid and aren’t stupid) actually encourages players to pre-order?

It seems to be an inventory item that has no use in the game.
Whether it’s a completely useless thingamabob or if it can be worn at times, is unknown.

There have been lots of such exclusive skins, at one time almost every Kickstarter campaign was trying to offer some exclusive skins, but generally speaking those were just annoying backers, not attracting new backers.

I’m sure this will anger some people too, especially those who don’t use Steam.

Sometimes those exclusives become available to everyone else later, which kind of makes them even more pointless.

It’s a bad example, because the entire game is unfinished (and never will be finished most likely), but for instance Outpost 13 has a Kickstarter exclusive alternative protagonist.
Of course, it is available to anyone who buys the game, so it’s sort of pointless.
(The disclaimer at the bottom makes no sense at all!)

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

Meh

I’m expecting it will be a fun running gag throughout the game. Since you can probably try to give it to everybody you run into, and use it on any object you run into. So you’re probably getting a lot of fun dialogue as an `early bird gift`

Joined 2016-06-12

PM

It’s funny. In 2018, Ron released a parody of DLC with “Ransome Unbeeped”. It was funny as hell but kind of broke the game (some of my favorite jokes in Thimbleweed Park are connected to the beeps). It was also horribly misunderstood as a way to first release a “censored” game (the game was never censored!!) and then only with the DLC let people enjoy the full game “as it was meant” (the game was never meant to be without the bleeps). Shitstorms converging.

Now Ron’s doing the same thing again because fuck the haters.  Naughty

He’s being even more careful this time, they’re communicating in detail that this bonus doesn’t change anything relevant in game, but when has that ever stopped a good shitstorm?

It’s taking an inventory slot, you can’t wear it, it changes nothing visually, you can’t use it with anything, you can only show it to other people and maybe get a funny response once in a while.

I still want it, and for that they need to open GOG preorders first.  Frown

I compare it to the option in the second Sam & Max season to approach everyone asking “Wanna rub my unicorn?”. It’s a cheap gag, it’s repetitive, characters seldom respond with anything funny, but it still cracks me up and I wouldn’t want to miss it for the world, having paid three times for the game.

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Meh

It sounds as though you may not be aware of what the horse armour is satirising.  It’s a satire of pointless pre-order DLC.  Back when The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion came out in 2006, there was a DLC purchase available for the game (one of the first ever for videogames, in fact) and that DLC was armour for your in-game horse.  The horse armour DLC cost $2.49 and it was purely cosmetic.  It did nothing of worth within the game; the armour didn’t raise your horse’s stats, nor did it protect your horse in anyway whatsoever.  This horse armour DLC quickly became heavily mocked by the gaming community and to this day, it still stands as the go-to example for pointless and cynical DLC in videogames.

So essentially, Ron Gilbert is sticking his middle finger up at the whole pre-order DLC culture by satirising the granddaddy of all pointless DLC.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top